“Great room, shame about the ants”

Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Valbonne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have been staying at Sophia Antipolis for months, so I have a good idea of what to expect in the area in terms of value for money and service. This was my first time at Mercure Sophia Antipolis. The hotel reception area is great and the arrangements in the room were modern and to my taste. Unfortunately, soon after checking in I discovered that the room had ants and they were going up and behind the bed headboard. I informed the reception immediately and they were very responsive and promised me that they would "kill all the ants" although I did not get the impression that they were surprised by their presence. I was not offered another room. We left the room to head to the Cannes Film Festival and when we return the window was open, the room had a strong smell of the anti-ants spray. Not great, but I can live with that. Unfortunately, the ants were still there and in the morning when I checked out I was asked how my stay was. I told them that the ants were still in the room, the lady at the reception smiled politely and said nothing. So, I got the impression that that was no big deal for them. It's a shame because I liked the hotel and the room, but I would not recommend it to others.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Again I am sorry for this trouble during your last stay. As I told you during your checking out, we should move you to another room. Please accept my apologies and as you are a regular guest in our hotel I hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Mercure Sophia Antipolis is my fav hotel in the Valbone location. Hotel is small, but very nice. Unfortunately there is no vending machine only small fridge in the reception. Rooms are spacious and clean. The only cons is the neighbourhood, as after work - the area is empty and to closest civilization is a bit to far - especially with no car

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank matool

Thank you for your advice about your last stay in our hotel. Concerning our diner offer, we have more than the fridge a nice restaurant and room service with a large selection of food. Hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

The Hotel Reception area is very welcoming, and there is even a Pool table at one end. The bar is good, and the staff are friendly everywhere. Not once did we have a bad experience from a staff point of view.

My only downside, which to be fair is quite important to me, is the room. The beds a re nice, a bit firm, but the rest of the decor is a little dated. Very spacious though. Generally, when I go to a hotel I like to be able to plug my tablet into the TV to watch something of my choosing - but although they had a flat screen TV, it showed three channels and for some reason the ports on the back did not work - minor point to some I know, but a nice to have.

The noises from above and the corridor could be quite loud from time to time, and I was even woken up as a consequence so maybe having a higher floor, or a room at the end of the corridor would be better.

Finally, the bathroom. What can I say- molded plastic sink areas and in dire need of refreshing. Plus, if you like baths, they had them.

Room Tip: The rooms get very cold, so switch of AC when you arrive. Very efficient so if you switch it back on...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

First of all, thank you for having stayed with us and for sharing your experience. It is a pleasure to see that you have enjoyed your time here. Regarding the TV, we are planning to replace them, this will be in place soon. I hope I have the pleasure to meeting in the near future.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed at the Mercure on business in January 2013.

Hotel was comfortable, clean, nicely kept and staff were friendly and welcoming.

Rooms were comfortable, bathrooms were nice (if a little dated), fridge in the room and a decent amount of storage.

Wifi worked well. Restaurant was nice (though a little on the expensive side).

Worth noting if you get a little bored and fancy a walk there is a nice river across the main road you can walk along.

I would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your comment about your stay here. I really appreciate your feedback about our the friendliness of our staff, cleanliness of our hotel and our room. Hope to welcoming you again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The service here was very good. The area was hit by snow/ice and the staff arranged an unplanned lunch at the last minute since we couldn't get out until later in the day. Very nice. The rooms were well laid out and clean. Great place to stay to be close to business in the technology park.

Only downside is they have no fitness center and the roads are dangerous for a walk/run.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

I am very grateful for your last advice, it will encourage us to maintain our efforts so that the services we provide for you fully meet your expectations.
I understand your remarks about the fitness room, next time we will show you the nice route allong the river for your jogging.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Reviewed January 19, 2013

nice hotel for a short stay if you are travelling on business and want to be close to Sophia Antipolis.Rooms are average, but breakfast is ok and food is actually quite good.Parking and Wifi are free of charge.Walking distance to Sophia country club.nioce gardens and outdoor swimming pool

Room Tip: go for a room on the third floor,with a view on the pool and gardens
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

It is a pleasure to read that you found nice the hotel outdoor (garden and pool). We hope that the great location of Mercure Sophia Antipolis is a good reason to choose us again for your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valbonne
Ibis Antibes Sophia Antipolis
#2 of 10 in Valbonne
Ibis Styles Antibes
Ibis Styles Antibes
#16 of 86 in Antibes

Been to Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel? Share your experiences!