“Nice hotel for SA business”

Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Valbonne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The service here was very good. The area was hit by snow/ice and the staff arranged an unplanned lunch at the last minute since we couldn't get out until later in the day. Very nice. The rooms were well laid out and clean. Great place to stay to be close to business in the technology park.

Only downside is they have no fitness center and the roads are dangerous for a walk/run.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

I am very grateful for your last advice, it will encourage us to maintain our efforts so that the services we provide for you fully meet your expectations.
I understand your remarks about the fitness room, next time we will show you the nice route allong the river for your jogging.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel

Reviewed January 21, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Reviewed January 19, 2013

nice hotel for a short stay if you are travelling on business and want to be close to Sophia Antipolis.Rooms are average, but breakfast is ok and food is actually quite good.Parking and Wifi are free of charge.Walking distance to Sophia country club.nioce gardens and outdoor swimming pool

Room Tip: go for a room on the third floor,with a view on the pool and gardens
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

It is a pleasure to read that you found nice the hotel outdoor (garden and pool). We hope that the great location of Mercure Sophia Antipolis is a good reason to choose us again for your next visit.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My regular hotel for business trips to Sophia Antipolis... Not bad, not great, but my favourite choice around. Rooms are clean, simple, good small fridge, no shower unfortunately, the bathroom is a bit old (looks like 70's pre-formed but clean and functional). The staff is very nice, breakfast is ok, food for lunch or dinner is actually nice, there are spaces to park, calm, smoking rooms available.
Compared to what is around, to me the best value for money around (especially compared to the former "grand mercure" not far).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience here on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback, so that we can improve the good service we provide to our guests. The team of our hotel, me included, hope to see you for a future visit.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I’ve stayed at the Mercure here in Sophia Antipolis a lot, reason being that a client I work with has a site in the science park here. My usual stay is 2 nights duration, though once in a while it’s been 4.

Don’t stay here if you’re a tourist and you don’t have a car. Sophia Antipolis is principally lots and lots of science businesses and nothing else. So if you are a tourist and simply want to sleep somewhere for the night, then fine. But don’t expect to be excited by the surroundings here!

Most people reading this review will be checking out the hotel for business reasons, so I’ll focus on that…

Free wifi is good news, and this can be accessed in your room as well as downstairs in the reception area. Each room has a round table, which fits my needs for working during the evenings. Rooms are invariably clean and functional. My one gripe though would be the beds; for some reason I find them too hot, and not that comfy and I’ve yet to work out why this is. As a consequence I never sleep too well when I’m here. I’ve just posted a review of the Novotel in Madrid – and the beds there are great!

The hotel is in a really quiet area, so you certainly won’t be woken up by traffic or similar noises.

Staff are friendly, and happy to speak in English, though I do make them suffer by trying to speak in French most of the time I’m there. There are a limited number of irons and ironing boards which need to be collected from reception. On a couple of occasions I’ve not had access to one – but fortunately my wife is a fab folder of clothes and this hasn’t caused too much of a problem. For a business traveller though, an iron & board is important, so this is something that the hotel really should sort.

Restaurant food is fine, and if anything this last 12 months has improved. The menu offers a limited choice of starters and mains in the evenings, but what is cooked is clearly cooked to order – as you’d expect in France!

Never used the outside pool – my trips here are business, so my days are office, then work in the room and a bite to eat, and that’s about it. There are some off road paths nearby, so there is the possibility of going for a walk or doing some jogging. The area is seriously hilly, so if you are planning to enjoy a run be prepared for some really good hill training!

I really though wish there was a bar nearby – if there is, I’m yet to find it. If you want to enjoy a beer or glass of wine in this part of the world be prepared to find the experience of paying a less than pleasant one. If you plan on having a few beers in one of the hotels (such as this one), be prepared for a VERY large bar bill!

Will I be staying again? I guess so, as my client enjoys a good corporate rate. Maybe though I should try out one of the others if I can realise a rate that’s just as good... as they say, a change is as good as a rest!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for your comments about Mercure Sophia Antipolis although we are a bit disapointed with the mark you gave us according to your mostly kind remarks about your stays. Be sure we all are focused on satisfying our guests. I hope you will be back soon. Best regards.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

The selections of hotels in this region is very poor. The Mercure is an average business hotel, struggling to hold onto a four star rating in my view. It is bland, boring and sterile but there is little other option in the park.
Staff were helpful when I requested a room change.
Aircon was good, shower fine, cleanliness good, room well presented and hotel well maintained.
Dinner on the terrace was average, though loose the house cat that goes around begging at tables! Revolting
Breakfast had a wide variety and you could boil your Oswego, nice touch.

All round average business hotel.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel is located in Sophia Antipolis and is surrounded by trees. It is therefore very quiet but you'd better have a car available if you want to go to downtown Antibes (as it is often the case on Sophia-Antipolis).

The room was furnished with a large bed (1.6m width I think), a small round table, a convertible armchar/1-person-bed and a flat screen TV.

The bed was very comfortable (thick & good mattress + boxspring). The room was of course air conditioned, and well cleaned. A boiler with mugs and coffee and tea is available as well as a very small fridge (that can contain about 2x1.5 liter of bottled water).

There was 1x0.5L "welcome" bottled water on the first day - yet, it didn't get renewed after the arrival.

The staff was friendly and helpful The food at the restaurant was good and reasonably priced. I can't comment on the menu variety as I ate only there once. I didn't test breakfast there.

Now for the things to improve a bit:

1/ although a flat screen, the TV set was not so great : the picture quality made it look a bit like an analogic display - though the numeric TV has been in the department for more than 1 year. For instance on Canal +, many movies are broadcast in multi language, but you can't select any language on the remote... Some subtites were offered through Teletext screens! (I didn't know it still existed...)

2/ the internet through wifi is included in the room price yet it is "limited" internet by Orange : only websurfing and mail retrieving works (for the tech guys out there: http/https/imaps is ok) - if you want to connect to your company VPN or use non-standard services, you may have to fork some extra euros to Orange.

Room Tip: The view of the rooms parking-side is not really great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
antipolis, Directeur général at Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Thank you for you kind remarks. We hope we will welcome you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Valbonne
Ibis Antibes Sophia Antipolis
#2 of 10 in Valbonne
Ibis Styles Antibes
Ibis Styles Antibes
#16 of 86 in Antibes

Been to Mercure Antibes Sophia Antipolis Hotel? Share your experiences!