“Excellent location and low key vibe”
Review of Hotel Ermitage

Hotel Ermitage
Ranked #62 of 73 Hotels in Saint-Tropez
Seattle
“Excellent location and low key vibe”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

I read a number of these reviews before we arrived and was somewhat worried given the negative trend. The actual hotel could not have been further away from these reviews; it was great and my boyfriend and I both loved it.

We pulled up to the driveway and asked where we should park...right out front. You leave your key and the hotel does the re-arranging. We never had a single problem getting our car out. Also, no extra cost for parking. A nice touch.

The hotel does have a low key bohemian chic vibe in comparison to the other hotels in St. Tropez. The vibe was great. There is a court for boules out front in the walled and treed patio; we definitely had a few games of not so sober boules after drinking piscines of rose.

The front desk women were all pretty nice and helpful. They keyed us into various clubs and the best beach clubs in Pampelonne.

The room we stayed in was small, but totally adequate. The shower is indeed glass, but I was staying with my boyfriend and hence, no problem. The bath products are all Kiehls. A nice touch, particularly given how hot it was when we were there. a post-beach shower was a must.

The views from the deck where the restaurant is are pretty great. Lots of v. chic younger europeans eat there each night. We never thought in advance to get a table and they were always booked day of. Would definitely put some planning into the next trip to get a table on the deck.

The very best feature is the location. It's sandwiched between a number of the very posh hillside hotels and is a 5 minute walk (I mean that literally, not in exagerated travel agent speak) from the town. The drive to the beach was about 15 minutes. Pay heed to the caution on Tuesday traffic. There is a market in town and it's a complete circus. It took us about 30 minutes to get off the hill onto the main road. Otherwise, no problems.

I will definitely stay here the next time we come, it was exactly what we were looking for and a nice place to kick back with a glass of rose before dinner and post-beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amymagsND

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Kent
Reviewed August 2, 2010

The first thing I read about this hotel is it`s erotic theme. I`m not sure if this was a translation error or not, but it`s decoration is not in a traditional style, don`t be worried, details to follow...

When we arrived it was very hot and I`d just ridden (motorbike) over from Montpellier, so first things first, the shower. You either have to kneel for privacy or stand for the show with the risk of flooding the bathroom. I`m a more stand for the show kind of guy, and to the lady standing outside, I would apologise, but you were standing there a long time pretending to look to the skies! Anyway, I digress... Our air conditioning had developed a fault so we decided to upgrade to the suite. This would only be one night as it was not available for the second, but this is where the non-traditional styling comes in to play. Greeted by the actual bar (basic but a bar still the same) a selection of Belvedere Vodkas, mixers, juices, soft drinks and the like, a good sized lounge area was the first room. I missed the part where I was supposed to mention the gloss black walls, and dark furniture, the strange gym ball that turns out it`s not a gym ball, but maybe a weird seat?! Nevertheless, it`s not comfortable so maybe just chose the sofa, and the table has no centre, be warned...!

In the the second room via sliding doors, the bedroom. Good size, nice soft lighting (against the black gloss walls) and be careful of the bed... Lay down on it and you may never get back up again. I know they`re personal things but my friend agreed, this thing had some immense sleeping potential. You have been warned.

Anyway, room three through the sliding doors. Bathroom with good sized bath, and walk in rain shower. I`ll be honest, I love this shower; it`s large, powerful, a lot of space and freedom, if I could`ve moved the bed in there, I probably would have...

Great night`s sleep eventually as there is a lot of night life in St. Tropez, the hotel has a nice relaxed feel to it unlike some of the hotels I have stayed in that can feel a little pretentious at times. The breakfasts were basic continentals, good coffee, good service, and yes, I would stay there again IF they sort out their air conditioning. The location is great for the town life.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Paris, France
Reviewed May 15, 2010

This is the worst hotel that I stayed, location is great, but the rooms and service are terrible. There is a very loud music in a hotel bar so we could not sleep till the morning (when they stoped the music). All the rooms were freshly painted so we could not breath inside. The service is terrible, the staff very impolite,the same women clean the hotel and make a breakfast. Our car was crashed in the hotel parking place. On a check out i noticed that I paid for one night more (about 600 euros), they told me that it was a mistake and that they will give me my money back, but they never did it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lilly_gatsby

Travelers are raving about these Saint-Tropez hotels

San Diego, CA
Reviewed December 18, 2009

Great location. The worst experience in lodging on a two week trip through Provence and the Cote d'Azur. The hotel interiors have been painted in very dark colors and the stairwell/upstairs hall is lit with red lights. This made it difficult to find our room and nearly impossible to get the key in the door. The bath was three steps below the room on a flimsy set of wood steps akin to a kitchen step stool. On checkout, I handed over my AMEX card and when the bill was presented I noted that the daily rate was 60 Euros more than was quoted in the reservation email. I was assured that would be corrected that afternoon. It is now two months and many emails later and I am still owed the difference for two nights. Many assurances of credit have been made with no result.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Channing M
Marathon, Florida
Reviewed December 5, 2007

Stay away from Hotel Ermitage in St. Tropez. We were using both Fodors and Frommers guide books when driving to St. Tropez. I find both these guide books to the right on when recommending a hotel, but they sure missed this time. Overly priced, dirty rooms and hallway. Bathrooms dirty, toilet didn't work. Walls paper thin! Avoid at all costs. Don't think Fodors or Frommers has been to that hotel in years.

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bpickard