“Romantic Perfection”

Hotel Le Saint Paul
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in St-Paul-de-Vence
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Provance and we spent our first few nights at this charming hotel. The room was very luxurious and the staff could not have been more helpful. The setting is of course idyllic and the terrace dining is intimate surroundings with excellent food and service. Always wanted to stay right in the village and be able to walk the streets after dinner and early morning without sharing the experience with hoards of camera toting tourist.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Sir,

On behalf of all my staff, I would like to thank you for your positive comments on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that your stay at the St Paul was a success and that you enjoyed your room and the "al fresco" dining on our terrace.

One of the advantages of being a small hotel is that we can offer a more personalised service and we do strive to give all our guests a very special welcome.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming your wife and yourself back to our little hideaway at the heart of St Paul and until then send our very Best regards.

Jérôme Vesoux

Reviewed June 14, 2012

A wonderful stay right in the heart of this spectacular village. The hotel is phenomenal, combining old world French charm with modern amenities. Each room has it's own personality and color theme. We had beautiful views of the valleys surrounding the city from our windows.
The staff could not have been more accommodating, friendly or attentive. On the day of our departure, I mentioned to the breakfast room staff that I was taking the train back to Paris...and, voila!, at checkout a delicious and very full picnic basket was handed to me. I was the envy of my train car!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susansandiego72
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear SusanDiego72

Many thanks for your positive review of the St Paul.

We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the hotel met your expectations.

Our aim is always to provide the best possible service to our guests and your comments were much appreciated by my team and myself.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Best regards

Jérôme Vesoux

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Our room on the third floor, which was a wonderful junior suite (perfectly and nicely furnished with chairs situated to look out over the valley) with a spotless/ fully equipped bathroom, looked southwest towards Cannes and the Var hills and we were able to watch the sunsets over the rampart walls. The breakfasts were superb, dinners wonderfully balanced with perfect presentation, the staff amazingly efficient and pleasant and went beyond the call of duty for us several times, including parking our car among the maze of narrow, cobblestone streets!. We were able to walk the streets of the town late one starry evening, long after the day tourists left...If not for the smattering of shops/ electric lights, it felt like a long gone era. Topped off with a Cognac at the Le Saint Paul bar, a wonderful evening indeed.
The staff recommended the Tilleau restaurant in town, which was less than a five minute stroll on the hilltop and was wonderful.
Everything was top notch during our stay. All the wonderful aspects of most of the Relais and Chateau Chain properties we have stayed in are magnified and improved upon by the Baglioni Hotel group which runs this property. First rate and friendly in all respects, I would not hesitate to recommend this property to any friend, family member or colleague.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DRCtraveler
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Im staying here as I write this review and this is our first visit in six or seven years. The hotel has a lot of charm with winding Provençal corridors and small but cozy rooms. The suites are a little larger but not huge - but this is a medieval walled village not a metropolitan tower block. Our suite, number 50, is the largest we've stayed in here and it has a generous bathroom and a lovely little terrace. The view from there is wonderful and almost panoramic, from the mountains down to the sea. Service is generally good with fine food for dinner and complimentary afternoon tea and cakes. The only hiccup was a slight mix up over breakfast room service. The prices seem a little high for the level of amenity, size of room and so on but the location is unique and precious. My wife and I came here on our honeymoon years ago and it's still a lovely, friendly, familiar place to visit and highly recommended. The village itself hasnt changed much, lots of tacky art galleries and gift shops. A few nice restaurants and the wonderful Maeght art museum nearby.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Lovely hotel with traditional style Provence decor. Elegant rooms. Great location and lovely stone building. Breakfast terrace overlooking the countryside. Restaurant is superb. Elegant with delicious high quality food. Very romantic place. If you come by car, it's a tight squeeze to get into the walled ramparts and drive around to the car park at the back of the hotel but it's worth it. The village is a bit twee with several arty shops but it's really very nice. Lots of hilly cobbled streets and very picturesque.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights while visiting France on our anniversary. This place is amazing beautiful and in the heart of Saint Paul de Vence. It is a little bit of a squeeze to drive your car up there but once there it is perched in a perfect spot. The staff were first class! They helped us so much. From getting reservations, telling us best places to visit, to helping us with directions to our next travel destination, we couldn't have asked for better service. The room was extremely beautiful and added to the romance. It was a great place to start our adventure in France. We did not have dinner their but had breakfast. It was very good but slightly pricey (I believe 22 Euro a person).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GFaulkner
Reviewed November 1, 2011

We have just returned from a pleasant 4 night stay at Le Saint Paul. We paid a very reasonable 'Fin de Saison' rate, but I would have been less than pleased had I paid the full rack rate.

The location is fantastic, within the walls of Saint Paul De Vence, one of my favourite villages in France. I must have been unfortunate in arriving when the porter was away, but the front desk manager at the time did assist with my luggage and car. Beware when renting a large car (I had an estate), the access is tight. Obviously medieval towns were not designed for larger family cars. If you are opting for a larger car, I'd advise that you choose a 'no excess' insurance policy.

We had booked a Junior Suite, which, while not huge, was nicely furnished with a well designed bathroom. Unfortunately, the bed was rather small. On closer examination, the website mentioned a double rather than twin bed. I should have paid more attention before making the booking. Also, given the age of the building, there may be limited scope to use larger furniture with narrow passageways etc. This all adds to the appeal of the hotel though.

I was disappointed to learn that there was no room service that evening and the restaurant was closed. Even when it is available, the room service menu is very limited. I was given directions to a pleasant cafe/bar near the ramparts that was open early in the evening. Having just endured two horrific flights on Emirates, I would have loved just to have had a quick bite to eat at the hotel and than collapsed into bed.

One of my favourite things in France is waking up to a fabulous breakfast. I was very disappointed on this score. The only thing on offer was a Continental Breakfast for about Euro 23, which consisted of coffee, pastries and yoghurt. None of the other items on the menu were available, even at a supplement. To be fair, the waitress was charming and extremely apologetic. She explained that she had not been working for a few days so had no idea that they were out of stock on so many items. Also, in the hotel's defense, this might explain the discounted 'Fin de Saison' rate. They were due to close for 4 months the day after I checked out so the stock management may have been deliberate.

The front desk management was inconsistent. The women who worked there could not have been more helpful, charming and pleasant but the man was indifferent at best.

We returned to the restaurant for lunch as one of the main reasons that I choose this hotel was that it was a Relais et Chateaux member, generally a guarantee of delicious food. While we did not have major complaints, we were underwhelmed. The same was rue of our next breakfast there; the waiter seemed unduly stressed given that there were only 4 adults in the restaurant. For the rest of our meals we opted to go elsewhere and were ate excellent food at very attractive prices.

The porter was on duty when we checked out and could not have been more helpful.

I would recommend the hotel for short stays at a special offer but I think that there are much better properties in the area for the full rack rate. It is possible that we would have had a much more positive experience in high season.

Room Tip: Check the bed size before booking.