“Great food let down by poor service”
Review of Toile Blanche

Toile Blanche
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: “This restaurant proposes, only in the evening, an exquisite menu, unique but inventive and modern. Served at the terrace during the summer.” - Michelin Guide '08 '09 '10 Toile Blanche is already famous for its evening restaurant. The always surprising unique menu, prepared and served by the Leroy brothers, is just one reason of the crazy success of this uncommon place. However, ... for a total experience, Toile Blanche presents from now on “The LplusL Table”. Food is served at 1 O’clock. No excuse being late, we all eat together, as in good families. At the table? Light lunch, wine, you... and us. So let’s discuss! Cu LplusL P.S. But who is LplusL?
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The restaurant is a lovely terrace setting and the food (after a long delay) was great and of a Michelin standard. Unfortunately the service was not of equal standard. For instance missing key parts of dishes i.e scallops with black pudding missing the black pudding, which happens on occasion but with no apologies or attempt to make up for the error it was unsatisfactory. Even though the place is small and not full with diners the waiters were pretty neglectful on water and wine and overall gave very slow yet strangely arrogant service which really let the food down. The strangest element was the three-course set menu which totalled more than the combined cost of any three dishes ???!! It’s such a shame because the food is very very good and the setting lovely. Go for the food alone.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

A long journey between Shanghai and Milan, an intense and interesting Venice Biennale, a great wedding near St-Tropez; I needed to have a very quiet and quick break before reaching Nice and continue the rest of my trip in France. I explored “la Côte d’Azur” with my little French car before reaching St Paul de Vence, near Nice. An old friend in Shanghai recommended me “la Toile Blanche” owned by 3 brothers, who are also contemporary artists…

Difficult to see what can be revealed beyond the gate on this small quiet road, a couple of kilometres away from the famous village. I went inside. There was this very nice house on the left hand-side, the swimming pool on the front and then the deep Provence valleys.
It is quarter past five, few birds were singing, the light was slightly diming - I should say less intense. I still felt the heat of the floor shinned by the sun during the day, through the rubber of my shoes. There were some few guests lying next to the swimming pool. A lady had her body shinning because of the sun cream she spread on her body, her long black hair were slightly moving with the wind starting to blow at this time of the day.

One of the Leroy Brothers interrupted my distracted sight by helping me to carry my piece of luggage.

When I came inside the house, there was still this warm atmosphere but with a cleavage due to the tasty contemporary deco and the cooler temperature.

Leroy #1 brought me to my bedroom, very well designed and comfortable. The balcony was also there to invite me back to the reality of the beautiful nature (but the lady disappeared…).
This brother offered me to come to the bar later to drink a Mojito, apparently one of their specialities. I wanted to ask about the lady with the dark hair, but I did not dare.

Later, I went to the bar. The Mojito was not bad, indeed!

In the mood of being relaxed, I decided to have a dinner at the restaurant by myself. I never have dinner in a gastronomic restaurant alone but the atmosphere was there and maybe that the l... (Oh, forget about her). There was this unique menu and these numerous surprises of delicateness dishes and tender flavours, plus a good selection of wine. This was the greatest I could expect.

It was almost midnight and, as a young bachelor, I went to the bar and joined the rich and warm ambiance. Leroy Brothers, I always confused them, were cool and the guests at the bar were as well. The Mojito were also a bit too cool, and the rest of the evening became suddenly blur. I just remembered that I saw the lady with the long black again. After this, it was (and still is) the black hole, until I have another young lady knocking at the door of my room to bring me my breakfast, which I don’t remember I ordered. I watched the clock on my phone, the TGV was supposed to leave in 3hrs towards Paris with me on the seat 33 of the wagon 5…

It was all in all a relaxing time with a confusion of dream and reality, with a very reasonable price.

Another time, when I wonder what I am doing in China…

2  Thank Karashanghai
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I took the advice of a friend an visited Toile Blanche for one evening. Even expected more from this place as I know my friend has good taste. As my gf and I arrive at the restaurant we were met by the staff with smiles and warmth. We had a nice chilled glass of champagnes to start with. The food was exceptional well prepared and tasteful. Portions were not too small which is always a good thing. We were not rushed into the next course and the service was very friendly. The atmosphere was just relaxing. We can definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone. Hope to be back soon!

3  Thank Bertbrt
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Although it was a bit hard to find, we were highly surprised by the excellent dinner we enjoyed when we visited Toile Blanche.
Inside is a warm and contemporary design...with a nice open fire in the dining room.
The waiter told us it was the first winter they opened the restaurant. Normally they only open summer period.
We definitely will come back when in France again!

Reviewed September 23, 2011

Very nice place, tastefully decorated, good service. Things got off to a rocky start with them trying to pass off what tasted like apple juice and perier as apple schnapps but was quickly substituted when pointed out. Menu was limited to 2 choices, fish or meat per course. Amuse-bouche were good (a euro-coin piece of foie gras on gingerbread was a nice touch). The fish entrée consisted of 2 smallish lonely scallops with a tiny leaf of ruccola, minimalist to the extreme, while the other was good-sized and tasty portions of quail. The dorade was quite well-prepared and good; the veal was a bit tough and served with a sauce that overpowered the taste of the veal (cloves!). Dessert was a disappointing strawberry tart with tasteless strawberries (not the season!).