“A lunch to remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of La Colombe D'Or

La Colombe D'Or
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sarasota, Florida
“A lunch to remember!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

After reading the mixed TA reviews, with some trepidation I emailed La Colombe six weeks in advance for a lunch reservation on the outdoor terrace at noon. A bit of confusion ensued: the confirmation arrived, followed by a change--the reservation would be for 1 pm, and my terrace request was not addressed. I therefore was expecting trouble when my friend and I showed up for lunch.

To my shock and delight, however, our lunch was absolutely perfect. We were greeted cordially, seated in a beautiful corner of the terrace, and served by a very helpful, attentive, English-speaking young waiter named Dominique. As we were on a budget, we ordered only two soups, a half carafe of house wine, and the house appetizer specialty--a "starter" of 15 small, beautifully prepared vegetable and seafood dishes accompanied by a large basket of fresh veggies and bread. Very, very tasty, but no way could we finish it all! Dominique regularly checked on us to explain what was in the appetizer dishes, pour wine, ask if we needed anything, etc.--always with utmost courtesy and no effort to persuade us to order anything more. We lingered over our meal for a couple of hours, then wandered around the dining rooms to look at all the art on the walls. All the staff treated us with great courtesy, but Dominique was truly exceptional.

Including our tip, our lunch for two cost less than 100 EUR. Having visited France numerous times over several decades, I believe this was my most enjoyable meal ever, in that country. The food, service, art, and ambiance of this restaurant, on a sunny day in early October, coalesced into a memory I treasure. My advice--just go. You only live once.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank LauraC34233

• Turkish first
“Lovely dinning room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I dinned here with my sister on a Friday evening. The dinning room is lovely with exceptional works of art on the walls , we sat below a Picasso . As we were only two, we sat next to each other looking into the dinning room so we both had a good view of all the activity. The atmosphere was relaxing , the staff very attentive. The food was average and plentiful but you pay for the experience of dinning in lavish surroundings.

Visited October 2013
Harrogate
“Box ticked”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

The restaurant setting is fabulous. We ate outside, white linen, umbrellas and parasols. Very Ralph Lauren. The artwork on display is quite something. Louis Vuitton, Hermes and goyard are prevalent so if that's not your thing then think twice. It's the place to be seen but they do it so well. The food is top notch, consistently excellent. Very traditional country French wholesome menu. The menu has quite a winter feel to it.
But is it worth the price. Last time was 900 e for 4 adults and 4 kids and we didn't go mad. My feeling is that it's to expensive but I don't regret going and am glad I did.

• Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Saved the best for last”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

A great 16 day trip through N Italy and S France ends today. Last night we had the best meal of the entire trip, something not said lightly given our almost uniformly great meals throughout.
About last night, great ambience. We were indoors given the chilly temperature but was elegant but not too formal. Great table by the window.
Service was fabulous. A special thanks to Cedric for his warm reception and keen sense of humor especially when trying to explain the French only menu to people who were just getting used to Italian
The food was the highlight. First off, for the first time we found a green salad. We devoured it in a mere minute as we have not had much opportunity to eat greens this trip. We followed with foie gras. Delicious. For entree, I had a small chicken, had carved at the table with broccoli, another green thank you, potato and some other veggies with a yummy sauce. My wife had chateaubriand which was equally good. Happy tummies.
Another highlight were the martinis, perfectly made and large.
Thank you to La Columbe D'Or for a special last night in Europe.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Harcapster
Los Angeles, California
“Gorgeous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is a tough one. My husband would give this 5 stars, but I think the prices are a bit extraordinary so am taking a star off. The food is good, the setting magnificent, the service attentive but not snobby but if you decide to go you have to think of it sort of like a tourist attraction.
We paid 175 euros for lunch, that is a lot. I had sole, my husband lamb, we each had a salad and a glass of wine, shared a dessert and each had coffee. But still, 175 at lunch....(about $240 American at the time)
The great thing is you are in a different world. There is history and the inside dining room is hung with art from the greats. My sole was deboned at the table with great flair, the lamb chops perfectly done and attention was paid to the sun, getting us coverage when needed but taking it away when the waiter felt we didn't need it and it actually made us warmer.
There are so many people waiting on you, I couldn't tell you exactly who our waiter was...
It is gracious and fun but I did feel a bit perfunctory, they know why people are coming. We could easily have spent more with some appetizers at 35 euro. But it was a great little bubble to be in and I'd probably go again, maybe do dinner next time - but first I have to hit the Casino at Monte Carlo and win big. The village is a great place to walk around after or before, more interesting items than just your usual tourist fare - they do have that as well but my husband got a great Panama hat and I found 2 dresses while wandering.

• Visited October 2013