“Convenient Location & good value for money”

Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We split our family holiday between Radisson Blu & Holiday inn. This was due to the fact that Radisson had no availability for the whole period. It turned out to be for our own good as Holiday inn is nearly half the Radisson price & the location though far from Nice city center but facing the beach as well as plenty of restaurants in the surroundings & it costs 3 € for a return bus ticket to Nice city center in a 15 min journey. But Don't get fooled by the big pool in the photos as it turned out to be a shallow one in the garden & part of the decoration but not a swimming pool.
Another issue is that on booking website it is written that breakfast is 24 Euros per adult & free for children under 16 & at hotel it is written that breakfast is 19€ per adult but we have been amazed on checkout to charge us (24+6) x 4 = 120€ per day ( expected 38€) for breakfast for 2 adults & 2 children 16& 13. If I knew this I would have paid the 120€ to choose a better standard hotel with a breakfast option.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank samarkh

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Hotel provides free shuttle from Nice airport which is very handy. Driver of shuttle van who picked us up was very pleasant, informative and helpful.
Reception desk staff were very understanding when a disagreement arose with regards to the self-parking fee and they made an appropriate adjustment. Room and bathroom were very spacious and high standard. Only negative comment is that air conditioning did not work very well and the cost of breakfast in the hotel restaurant is very high at 23 Euro (we did not eat there). Lots of great places to eat just outside the hotel along the seashore. The beach is gravel (stone), not sand.
To go to Nice, it's a 15 min. walk to the train station then a 15 minute train ride. This method is way cheaper than taxi which I was told was 40 Euro.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We first stayed here about ten years ago and I had happy memories of lazy days by the pool and overlooking the beach.

So why on earth would a hotel in a beautiful location and that caters for families dispose of a swimming pool? There are plenty of people, including me, who are not great fans of the beach - particularly one with pebbles - and enjoy dipping in the pool to cool off. I will admit that we knew about the lack of pool when we booked, but I hoped the beach would be sandy and the sun beds would be actually on the beach, not on a raised area and having to encounter pebbles to get to the sea.

The hotel itself is ok. Our room was a decent size but it had a tired look about it. Bathroom was adequate, no walk in shower and the curtain had an odd smell. The one plus was a great balcony overlooking the sea. The air con needs upgrading. We needed it on the highest point but that meant dealing with constant noise. Not bad during the day, but very irritating at night. Tea and coffee facilities and a mini bar and safe were welcome.

We had breakfast in the hotel which was very good, plenty of choices. Other than that, we ate at local restaurants which were great as they're within walking distance. The bar is small and uninviting. At one point the tv was on a music channel trying to compete with the piped music in the bar. My husband asked for an ice bucket for our room, but they were unable to supply one. Strange... Drinks are pricey but this is the South of France, so not surprising.

All the staff we encountered were helpful and polite.

The gym was poor. Towels from the previous day were still in the basket and no fresh ones put out. There is a tv in the room, no remote control and the position it's in on the wall would give you a cricked neck. No mats for floor work and for some odd reason, the lights went out every 15 minutes, then came back on.

During our stay, we had a thunderstorm for a few hours in the morning. By lunch time it had cleared and the sun came out. Great, we thought, off to the beach. Well, it was open but no sun bed mattresses and towels were available as the facilities were closed, as was the beach restaurant. So to sunbathe we lay on uncomfortable beds. I cannot understand how nobody checked the weather forecast in the morning - we did and it clearly stated it would be sunny in the afternoon.

We did enjoy our short break, the weather was lovely and a balcony overlooking the sea is fabulous. But not to have a pool? Surely this is a bad decision and I would welcome an answer to this.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Christophe A, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Holly11Wales,

Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience further to your recent stay at the Hotel Holiday Inn Nice-Port St Laurent.

We were pleased to read that you enjoyed the room with the amazing view overlooking the sea, the breakfast quality and that you were able to recognize the efforts that our team makes to deliver a good experience for every guest.

Concerning the rooms, kindly note that we just start a refurbishment program.
2 floors and all the meeting rooms will be renovated before the end of the year and the 3 last floors before the end of 2015.

I understand your disappointment concerning the pools but it's not our own decision to remove them.
Indeed, a French law called "loi littoral" prohibiting this kind of construction, forced us to destroy the 3 pools built on the beach.
I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.
Be sure your comments will be forwarded to the concerned departments in order to avoid any recurrence of such situations .

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Nice-Port St Laurent, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We've used this hotel for various stays from 3-14 nights since the year 2000. Initially, it provided a great base for a family with young children - plenty of restaurants for family eating, a safe promenade, a concession on the private sandy beach for hotel guests and three swimming pools that were ideal for children and adults alike. The hotel also had an accommodating and friendly Turkish barman and our children looked forward to seeing him at every visit. Its location make it a great base for touring the area and avoiding the hot, bustling metropolis that is Nice in high-season.
We've just stayed at this hotel again for 3 nights - using it as a link to the airport at the start and end of our holiday. We used 150,000 priority club points for 2 rooms for 3 nights. As a Platinum Member, I was interested to see whether this status would be truly recognised by the hotel.
Here's my recollection of our stay:
First night at the start of our holiday: Collected from the airport in their shuttle, given two mountain facing rooms that had been partly redecorated, provided with free wi-fi connection and mineral water. (These rooms normally sell at 180 euro-220 euro in peak season, without breakfast.) Very comfortable beds and pillows, air conditioning just about adequate. Breakfast was reduced from 23 to 19 euros, but we still opted to have breakfast in one of the restaurants on the promenade.
Second and third night at the end of our holiday: Given an upgrade to garden/sea view rooms (after requesting this prior to arrival) - adequate rooms, albeit with great views towards Antibes. These rooms need redecorating (they have been like this since the 1990s). Cleaning and room servicing was fine - extra towels and second plastic chair for the balcony provided quickly, following our request. We were offered free newspapers - the newspaper for one room didn't arrive at all and the paper for the second room was given to me as I was checking-out of the hotel! (These rooms normally sell at 240 euros or more in peak season.) This year there was no Turkish barman and very few people were tempted to the uninspired bar to pay, for example, 6 euros for a small beer and 9 euros for a large beer. The biggest shock of all was finding that the swimming pools had been removed from the private Cocody Beach! As a result, we din't visit the beach at all. Temperatures were hitting the mid-thirties and we didn't relish the prospect of paying 12 euros for the beach, without the facility of a pool. We didn't take breakfast at the hotel either, as we didn't want to pay 19 euros each for average quality food and drink, sitting outside on plastic chairs by plastic tables. The hotel also tried to charge me for breakfast for two people, that had not been taken - I was made to feel that it was my fault when they eventually found out that another guest had signed a breakfast 'ticket' that had my room number on it.

To sum up, we will not be visiting this hotel again (especially in high-summer) as there are much better options in the area, providing better facilities, service and value for money. Had we paid the internet price for our stay, we would have been extremely disappointed. Unfortunately, it seems to me that this hotel just wants to get as much money as possible from clients and provide as little as possible in return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Christophe A, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear Welshman_on_2ur ,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your loyalty to our brand and for having taken the time to share with us on the trip advisor website your concerns in relation to your stay at the Hotel Holiday Inn Nice-Port St Laurent.
We appreciated very much your positive feedback concerning the location and the cleanliness of the property .

Concerning the decoration of the rooms, kindly note that we just start a refurbishment program.

We were forced to destroy our pools last year because of a French law and it's not a decision by the hotel management.
Our private beach entrance rate is 12 € per adult (childs under 12 years old are free) and include a sun bed, a towel and an umbrella.
We provide also a food, beverages and lifeguard service.

We are very sorry that we were not able to upgrade you upon arrival but as you know the upgrade for a Platinium member is upon availability and as August is our very high season, the hotel is almost full every day and unfortunately it 's very difficult for us to upgrade all our Platinium members.

We are very sorry to read that you experienced inconvenience because we did not meet your expectations and we sincerely hope you will give us a second chance and wait for the pleasure to welcome you once again at the Hotel Holiday Inn Nice-Port St Laurent.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We booked through Last minute.com for a two night, three day break. Paying nearly £250 per night we thought the pictures (and reviews) looked good !
Sadly we were very disappointed.
(1) On the Holiday Inn Website there is a picture of a pool that is now apparently used for display only !
(2) There was no porter to take our luggage and the only lift barely accommodated 4 people with luggage,
(3) The room had an awful musty smell
(4) The gardens, described as "tropical paradise" were no more that a concrete jungle, unkept and unswept!
(7) The hotel appeared almost empty and there was no holiday atmosphere whatsoever.
(8) Internet - upon arrival at the room we had decided this was not a resort for us and wanted to use the internet to locate somewhere else to stay. It took over a dozen calls to reception before we managed to get internet service (which was supposed to be automated) until eventually one of the staff brought a password/login physically to the room as the system clearly wasnt working.
We explained to reception,that we have two young children, and that for all the reasons above the hotel simply wasn't at all what we felt had been described/portrayed.

We were flatly told that we have pre-paid and they had a 36 hr cancellation policy and no portion of refund would be given.
We left promptly and hopefully you will read this and save yourself the same disappointment.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Christophe A, Directeur général at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Mrs Angela B,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with regards to your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Nice-Port St Laurent and I'm disappointed however to read that you were not happy with some of its aspects.

I regret that you have thought the hotel has a pool, but they are no pictures showing a swimming pool on the Holiday Inn website and no description about.

I am very sorry that our porter was not available on your arrival and I can understand our lift is a little beat small for 4 people with luggage however we have a second one just in the opposite if needed.

Please accept our apologies if the room smell bad but I am sorry we were not given the opportunity to propose you another alternative .

Concerning the garden, I 'm very surprised because it is watered and maintained daily by several gardeners as you could see on the Tripadvisor pictures.

We can assure you we take the here above mentioned problems seriously, and we will do everything in our power to make sure they do not happen again.

The entire team of the Holiday Inn Nice-Port St Laurent looks forward to welcoming you again soon .

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The location is great with many bars and restaurants nearby. Good job too, as the price of drink in the hotel is steep.

Room are OK, clean and modern. The aircon is weak and struggles with high temps in summer.

Staff are friendly but unfortunately unable to help is cases where one has been overcharged - Me!

I was charged too much for my bar bill during a recent stay. During check out, the receptionist was unable to give me my money back in the 25 minutes I had before I had to leave. The duty Manager was missing, so I left the hotel very unhappy. Well, sometimes things go wrong, but a good hotel will fix it. I wrote to the hotel twice, once an hour after leaving the hotel and then 24 hours later. I have had no response - now that is rubbish and, in y opinion, is theft.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Chris O,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It is most disappointing to hear of your experience. I would like to discuss this matter in further details and have sent you a private message to obtain additional information.

Once again, thank you for your candid feedback. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed for a weekend at the HI Resort outside Nice. The location is amazing with the beach and boardwalk just outside the hotel. The hotel does not have a pool but have a man made beach (discounted fee for hotel guests of approx. €15).
The beach offer sun lounge service with various food and drink menu. Staff is very friendly and service minded.

The hotel offer nice large and spacious rooms all with a privat balcony. The rooms are clean and look well maintained.

They offer a breakfast restaurant, (€23 per person if not included in your rate), a lobby bar and a seaside restaurant.

This hotel could have been a 100% sucess, but minor issues did occure during our stay which, brings our rating down a bit.

Refused service by waitor in restaurant before closing time. Refusal to charge a credit card below €10 in the bar (never heard of nor was there any signage idicating this). The above issues was brought to the attention of the front desk staff. One was resolved after some pursuaing to the bar maid. We never heard anything from either the duty manger or restaurant manager regarding the refused service in the restaurant.

If you are lucky you get to meet Emelie or Margaux at the front desk, these 2 girls makes you feel very welcome at the hotel.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room for stunning views.