My wife and I recently stayed four nights at the Holiday Inn Resort in St. Laurent du Var while I was attending a conference hosted at the hotel. We paid about 150 Euro per night including internet access and breakfast for ONE of us – 15 Euro extra for my wife.
We had a wonderful room on the fifth floor with a large balcony overlooking the sea. While the room did show the usual signs of aging, we had no complaints about the interior of the room. Our only issue was that the retractable awning over our balcony didn’t work – and that made the afternoon a VERY hot experience on the balcony AND in our room … and the air conditioning simply isn’t powerful enough to offset the heat pressing through the glass and into the room. As a result, we had to keep the drapes closed throughout the afternoon, rendering the view moot. C’est la vie!
While what I am about to share did NOT matter to us – I think anyone considering this hotel needs to understand a few things:
1) By American standards, this Holiday Inn is NOT a “resort.” It has no restaurants of its own (other than the buffet breakfast room) — no shops whatsoever — no spa facilities (a tiny gym) — no swimming pool — the hotel’s bar doesn’t even open until the evening — and room service operates during limited hours.
2) While I'm on the subject of American standards, please IGNORE any "STAR" rating for hotels in France. The standards are VERY different than those we are accustomed to — and France is in the process of re-vamping their standards. Regardless of what you may read about this hotel, by American standards, it's 2 or 3 stars tops!
3) If you take the time to read through the many reviews here on TripAdvisor, you’ll learn that the private beach that seems to be part of the Holiday Inn is really owned by the municipality and only “operated” by the Holiday Inn. It costs 12 Euro per guest per day (20 Euro for the general public) if you want to use it – otherwise, there’s the typical rocky public beach WIDE open for you to enjoy. Just remember to pack sandals and a cushy sort of beach towel and you’ll be fine.
4) The Holiday Inn is actually just the middle section of the curved building shown in the photos – the majority of the units are condos.
5) The fact that the Holiday Inn doesn’t have a restaurant of it’s own isn’t a big deal. There are literally dozens of bars and restaurants along the seaside boardwalk – and the Holiday Inn does have a relationship with one of them that gives you a small discount. Just go for a stroll anytime after 7PM and you’ll find plenty of great places to choose from. There’s also a large mall with a grocery store less than a 5 minute walk form the hotel, so if you just want to pick up something to eat on the beach, keep it in mind.
6) If you want to explore Cannes, Antibes and St. Paul de Vence, this hotel is a good place to serve as your base – BUT – if you want to really enjoy Nice, Eze, St. Jean Cap Ferrat and Monaco, this hotel is just TOO FAR away. Yes, for 1 Euro you can take a bus and be in the heart of Nice in less than 30 minutes – but I would encourage you to choose a different hotel for that portion of your trip. We stayed at the Boscolo Plaza Nice – and you can read my review of that property as well.
7) We found the staff to be somewhat cool but friendly and professional. We speak French reasonably well, so we had no difficulties at all — and the staff was certainly fluent in English too.
So, no major complaints — but nothing to rave about either.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Nice Port Saint Laurent is the only hotel of the area built right on the beach. It is walking distance from the shopping center Cap 3000.Holiday Inn Nice Port Saint Laurent features comfortable and renovated rooms with terrace, including some with a view of the sea. The rooms are spacious and luminous. They offer all the facilities you may need for a relaxing stay.For your comfort, the hotel features a restaurant serving buffet breakfast, to be savoured on the terrace. The new other restaurant The Bay Star Cafe is set right on the beach and servesa French Modern Bistro Cuisine : A delight ! Located on a beautiful sandy beach on the Baie des Anges the hotel offers also a private Beach : The Bay Star Beach and Lounge with Bar, Snack and beach restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Resort Nice - Port St Laurent Hotel St-Laurent Du Var
- Holiday Inn Hotel Nice
- Holiday Inn St-Laurent Du Var
- St-Laurent Du Var Holiday Inn