“Not bad ... Not remarkable ... Just a basic hotel with a GREAT view!”

Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed four nights at the Holiday Inn Resort in St. Laurent du Var while I was attending a conference hosted at the hotel. We paid about 150 Euro per night including internet access and breakfast for ONE of us – 15 Euro extra for my wife.

We had a wonderful room on the fifth floor with a large balcony overlooking the sea. While the room did show the usual signs of aging, we had no complaints about the interior of the room. Our only issue was that the retractable awning over our balcony didn’t work – and that made the afternoon a VERY hot experience on the balcony AND in our room … and the air conditioning simply isn’t powerful enough to offset the heat pressing through the glass and into the room. As a result, we had to keep the drapes closed throughout the afternoon, rendering the view moot. C’est la vie!

While what I am about to share did NOT matter to us – I think anyone considering this hotel needs to understand a few things:

1) By American standards, this Holiday Inn is NOT a “resort.” It has no restaurants of its own (other than the buffet breakfast room) — no shops whatsoever — no spa facilities (a tiny gym) — no swimming pool — the hotel’s bar doesn’t even open until the evening — and room service operates during limited hours.

2) While I'm on the subject of American standards, please IGNORE any "STAR" rating for hotels in France. The standards are VERY different than those we are accustomed to — and France is in the process of re-vamping their standards. Regardless of what you may read about this hotel, by American standards, it's 2 or 3 stars tops!

3) If you take the time to read through the many reviews here on TripAdvisor, you’ll learn that the private beach that seems to be part of the Holiday Inn is really owned by the municipality and only “operated” by the Holiday Inn. It costs 12 Euro per guest per day (20 Euro for the general public) if you want to use it – otherwise, there’s the typical rocky public beach WIDE open for you to enjoy. Just remember to pack sandals and a cushy sort of beach towel and you’ll be fine.

4) The Holiday Inn is actually just the middle section of the curved building shown in the photos – the majority of the units are condos.

5) The fact that the Holiday Inn doesn’t have a restaurant of it’s own isn’t a big deal. There are literally dozens of bars and restaurants along the seaside boardwalk – and the Holiday Inn does have a relationship with one of them that gives you a small discount. Just go for a stroll anytime after 7PM and you’ll find plenty of great places to choose from. There’s also a large mall with a grocery store less than a 5 minute walk form the hotel, so if you just want to pick up something to eat on the beach, keep it in mind.

6) If you want to explore Cannes, Antibes and St. Paul de Vence, this hotel is a good place to serve as your base – BUT – if you want to really enjoy Nice, Eze, St. Jean Cap Ferrat and Monaco, this hotel is just TOO FAR away. Yes, for 1 Euro you can take a bus and be in the heart of Nice in less than 30 minutes – but I would encourage you to choose a different hotel for that portion of your trip. We stayed at the Boscolo Plaza Nice – and you can read my review of that property as well.

7) We found the staff to be somewhat cool but friendly and professional. We speak French reasonably well, so we had no difficulties at all — and the staff was certainly fluent in English too.

So, no major complaints — but nothing to rave about either.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony facing the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank NCWorldTraveler704

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed with my wife in the end of August 2012. We were well received, the room was clean but some what worn. We had a nice balcony with view over the ocean. I think it is ok value for money, not exactly a hotel to return to, but a good starting point if you are arriving as we did to Nice for a holiday espcially if coming in late and you do not want to drive to far the first day, very close to the airport.
I am somwhat supprised over the fact that the access to the beach and sun beds associated with the hotel is not for free and the cost is 12 Euro and above. Personally i think this is unacceptable for a hotel that claims to be on the beach and to be a resort.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MOLSWE
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Not sure why this hotel has such bad reviews. just spent 4 days there with the family - rooms are good, but A/C very poor - so make sure you either book a fan for the room or ask for one when you arrive - makes a huge difference. Cocody Beach club is very nice, but due to the fine shingle in the water, the water quality is poor. Beach Club at the opposite end of the bay has clearer water but is rocky rather than shingle - take your pick! Loads of great restaurants around the bay to suit all tastes, most with childrens menus, plus CAP 3000 with its shops and restaurants, plus supermarket is only 5 mins walk too. overall a goof place to relax for 4 days.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank marc_matthews
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had reservation to stay at this hotel for 5 nights, we ended up staying 1 night and canceled the remaining 4 days. The location of this hotel is about 20 minutes drive to the heart of Nice. The location around the hotel looks more like a third world country rather then south of France. I feel bad for the TA community that would get stuck in this hotel that needs major renovation, it is more like it had its hey days in the 60's??? I was lucky enough that we could find us a great hotel in the heart of Nice and suprisingly with the same cost. Please do your research and book a hotel in the heart of Nice stay away from this DUMP

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lela#1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear Lela#1,

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I booked a couple of nights here towards the end of a family holiday in sanremo. Unfortunately I booked first, and reviewed on trip advisor second. I can confirm to my cost that this is the wrong way round.

The holiday inn website showed a smart hotel with swimming pools and promised resort style facilities. Well the swimming pools are long gone and the beach club is basically a small piece of seafront with some sand dumped on the pebble beach. Of course if i had read recent reviews I would have known all this. What I wouldn't have known was that the beach at saint Laurent du var had recently been closed due to poor water quality. This was articulated to us by our rep in Italy. Bad news travels fast.

The rooms were ok, if a little dog eared and my wife and I had an outstanding Mojito. This is one of the reasons I didn't score the experience lower.

To sum up, if you want to be close to nice airport and don't mind the frustration of not being in either chlorinated or salt water on a hot summers day, then you may find this hotel acceptable to your needs. Unfortunately it didn't live up to our expectations.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank TCIrvine
Reviewed August 13, 2012

There is no pool facility at this hotel.
Our first holiday for six years and the first trip for our two daughters aged 4 and 5, with the lure of three advertised pools confirmed by the british reservation centre we went to teach the girls to swim.
On arrival the staff confirmed there was no pool as two had been filled in and the third (still in photos) is not for use, aparently residents who live in converted rooms throw things at guests trying to use the final pool.

The only option for water is to pay the extortionate 12 euros per day per adult to use the 'sandy' beach, it is sand, over pebbles that lead to murky harbour water with oh yes pebbles.

There is no restaurant for lunch and evening within the hotel and you have to go onto the promenade to find eateries or order from room service.

The manager offered us the use of a neighbouring pool at 2m deep throughout with only a few steps and loose tiles that resulted in cut feet. Not in any way suitable for young children to learn to swim.

So objective: a break to teach the girls to swim
outcome: over a 1000 euros out of pocket with swimming still to learn.

Holiday inns response pretty much tough, unless I can give evidence that there was supposed to be a pool, £80 back for the 'beach' charges and have a nice day.

Not suitable for families who actually want nice surroundings and as for the title resort? well.....

Room Tip: somewhere else!!!! unless its just a room you are after
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank linzbabydoll
Reviewed July 31, 2012

First, there is no pool - not to mention the 3 the brochure and website say they have. Very disappointing for my family and me. The air conditioning chugged and chugged, but the cool air only extended about 6 inches from the vent. Some nights it was better to sleep with the patio door open. The staff was kind and responded to my every request. When my husband inadvertently tried to open our room door from the inside with the latch lock on it, he pulled it right off! Not very secure! But it was replaced the next day. It was nice to have a laundry available - should be free. Breakfast was expensive, 20 Euro per person. The family suite was a room with 2 double beds, not a suite. The bathroom was spacious, but I wish the shower in the tub worked. Why is it there? This hotel was steps to the beach and a short walk to the Cap 3000 mall, a good location. It is past due for refurbishing, for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms are more ocean front than ocean view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank AprillHill
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

Dear AprillHill,

Thank you for taking the time to write our hotel a review. I am glad that you liked the location of our property and it is nice to know that our staff was attentive enough to respond to your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology for the air conditioning issues you experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you and I appreciate you bringing this matter into our attention as the feedback we receive from guests like you enables us to improve on our services.

Pam G.

Holiday Inn Nice
#22 of 203 in Nice
Comfort Hotel Galaxie
#5 of 6 in St-Laurent du Var

Been to Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var? Share your experiences!