“Gorgeous”

La Voile d'Or
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous”
Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

This is such a wonderful hotel which my family and I have spent many a happy holiday at.

The setting overlooking the sea is fantastic. The decor is chic even for France!

I would recommend this to anyone. The best rooms are on the sea end and have two balconies - one with a sea view and one with a port view.

Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Nathalie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Finnish first
Siesta Key, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

The Voile D'or is a true traditional style of French restaurant. The setting on a peninsula overlooking St Jean Cap Ferrat harbor and the Corniche of the Cote D'Azur is spectacular.
The food and service are excellent and the prices are actually reasonable compared to many of the other fancy restaurants of the area.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mdbasile
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is the kind of elegant, old-fashioned hotel you could imagine in an old romantic movie about France. It is located right at the port of St. Jean Cap Ferrat. Most rooms have balconies. It is a calm oasis away from the tourist hordes (especially off season.) The bathrooms are totally modern and roomy and have great water pressure. The mattresses are on the firm side. Breakfast can be brought to your room for no additional room service charge and the continental breakfast has genuine bakery (not store bought) items. The hotel does not have a lot of bells and whistles so forget accessing your home email from the hotel although the French internet can be accessed. I don't believe I saw any place to plug in a device in the room. Bring your own alarm clock, too. If you are a light sleeper, be aware that there is a church bell nearby but it is not particularly loud. The hotel restaurant is excellent. Rooms have mini-fridges and you can buy groceries (albeit of the gourmet type) at nearby supermarket. There is no real entertainment (clubs, etc.) in the area - mostly St. Jean Cap Ferrat is where the super rich hide out in their villas. But the peninsula is great for long walks and just ogling the beautiful scenery everywhere. Do not miss the magnificent gardens at the Villa Ephrussi-Rothschild, which is nearby. The no. 81 bus will take you to neighboring towns (Villefranche-sur-Mer, Nice, etc.) You can buy tickets on the bus (only Euro 1.50 ) so a car is not absolutely necessary. However, the taxi from the Nice airport is extremely expensive - around Euros 70 each way.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the port probably are quieter as you won't hear street traffic (the little there is...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank AJ R
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stayed in Voile d'Or during our wedding night and could not have imagined a better location, service and ambiance!! Our experience with Voile d'Or started with an impecible impression of the hotel's service - allowing me (the bride) to check in hours earlier than the normal check in time in order to get ready for our special day (even though the hotel was fully booked!) and preparing an amazing spread for coffee, tea and cakes when our family and close friends arrived for an intimate get -together just prior to the wedding. We subsequently had a great stay at Voile d'Or during our wedding night and enjoyed a fantastic breakfast in our room as well as the hotel's swimming pool and private beach facilities. We would recommend Voile d'Or to anyone who is looking to stay somewhere for a special occasion and amazing location (Saint Jean Cap Ferrat!!) or who would just like to provide him/her/themselves with an ultimate treat!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa H
London
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I last visited this hotel 25 years ago and was disappointed to find that very little has changed in terms of modern amenities. The gym for example lacks air conditioning, has no water fountain, TVs and has extremely limited and very old equipment. WIFI is ONLY provided in the public areas and internet connection in rooms is via old fashioned cable which is fine if you have a laptop but not, as many people do, use an IPAD. Whilst "comfortable" rooms and in particular bathrooms could do with an update. THEY NEED TO SPEND SOEM MONEY!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travel-agent-boris
Calgary AB
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I fell head over heels for this area of France, and in particular St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat last year, so I made it a point to revisit this year, seeing as how I was going to be relatively close after attending a close friend's wedding in Scotland. Naturally there is the concern that you cannot recreate your first experience, but I was eager to return to La Voile d'Or, as it held a certain magic for me. It did not disappoint!

I had booked a superior double, which put me in room 67 in the lower level, right next to 66 where I had been last year; the room and bathroom seemed a bit smaller, but I only note this as an observation rather than a critique, as I still think the bathrooms are quite large. I was curious though to see if I would be upgraded, as it was a second visit almost exactly a year after my first. I was not, and recalling other reviewers noting this theme for repeat guests, I suspect this is not something they practice regularly, if at all. Which, after some thought seems quite democratic really, and indeed quite fair!

The young lady at reception was a bit dry - really, would it kill you to smile when greeting a guest? - but efficient (there's that word again), and I was shown to my room, with my bags following shortly after. I was a bit concerned that this would set the tone for my stay, but to my relief, it did not. I went down to the pool/beach and had a most satisfying welcome, a great table, and a delicous lunch. I'm a creature of habit, and both lunches I took at the hotel were exactly the same this year as last year.

I also repeated my tradition of a gin and tonic prior to venturing out for dinner, and it only took one order for a flash of recognition to show in the barman's eyes. Thankfully he also remembered how serious this pre-dinner gin and tonic thing is! A tip of the hat to him, as he remembered what I was after the next two evenings when I appeared in the bar, and was always professional and courteous.

This visit was also slightly different, in that I spent almost all of my time in the hotel, and that was actually my goal. I simply wanted to relax, get some colour (red or brown, I was determined to return to Calgary with something, including melanoma if necessary) and enjoy the hotel, the blue Med, and the scenery. Most of that time was by the lower pool, and the Lido staff were excellent, always helpful in setting up a lounge, umbrella, etc. And while never directly asked if I wanted a drink, it was simple enough to indicate you'd like them to come over and take your order - which was delivered promptly.

Does the hotel need a lick of paint? Absolutely. Could the bed cover need updating? Sure. Are the towels, and regular changing of them, awesome? YES! Did I have to play the game of guess the meaning of the hot water faucet markings again? Yes, but still fun and this time I won.

I guess what I'm saying is there is a certain charm, a genteel air, and a certain something that you just can't put your finger on that makes this hotel special. People comment they keep coming back, but not entirely sure why because it's not super modern or updated, or that it may not be good value for money, but clearly there is something intangible at work, be it a combination of things like the staff, the history, or the scenery. The owners I'm sure understand this, but I hope that it doesn't preclude paying attention to small improvements such as fixing that wobbly toilet in room 67, or touching up the cracked paint in the corners of the lounge, or a splash of paint. Too much or too little change could be costly for a place like this, and it is a fine line for sure.

Would I return? I'm looking forward to it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Canucklehead
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times but I really think the room we had needs an update. Considering we have gone so often I would have hoped we might be given a nicer room. The hotel is in the most wonderful location and the staff are charming but as I have just said it now looks tired. The bathroom is quite small and has these awful little bins that tip over if you try to use the pedal. Why can hotels not just have open bins? The pool area is lovely and the lunch there is always pleasant but I must confess I do not like the weird cutlery which I find uncomfortable to hold and wont lie properly on the plates - also weird plates! Why do we go back if I have so many moans? I don't know. Its addictive!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline v
Also consider these accommodations in or near St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel Royal-Riviera
Hotel Royal-Riviera
#1 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel & Spa la Villa Cap Ferrat
Hotel & Spa la Villa Cap Ferrat
#3 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & Spa
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & S...
#1 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Chateau de la Chevre d'Or
Club Delcloy
Club Delcloy
#5 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel Welcome
Hotel Welcome
#1 of 12 in Villefranche-sur-Mer

Been to La Voile d'Or? Share your experiences!