“This hotel perhaps once accommodated a good accolade - but clearly when we went - expends no effort to convey.”
Review of La Voile d'Or

La Voile d'Or
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed at La Voile d’Or - Sept 2011, at £700 per night in deluxe room. We had certain expectations of standard given cost. Was very disappointed. In order to be discrete, I asked for the manager when paying the bill, and was told he is not available and that I had to pay in full and report any issues on a ‘feedback’ form where the manager will contact me. He did not. I wrote to him by email care of reception to chase a reply on three occasions where the reception said all they can do is given him my email…. Well in a modern world discrete is out of date and here’s trip adviser to communicate to all concerned.
1. The bed sheets were rough.
2. The mattress had little give / support and was lumpy
3. The pillows were poor and hard [with no alternative softer selection in the room] such that we awoke with ear ache.
4. The toilet lid had to be held up with one hand whilst in use
5. The Mini bar door had to be forced into cabinet surround to ensure fridge closed, then this was hard to open as Mini bar handle was hanging off. Failure to force shut fully caused the Mini bar to defrosted and pooled water over floor area twice which I mopped up.
6. Shower temperature is not constant
7. The general décor was ‘tired’.
8. Upper pool only had broken parasols and staff with bad attitudes needed several reminders to bring one from lower pool.
Our issues may well be acceptable in a £100 per night accommodate, but £700! Summary – go elsewhere. This hotel perhaps once accommodated a good accolade – but clearly when we went – expends no effort to convey.
To the hotel – I did warn you I would post this in the beginning of the holiday season if you gave me no courtesy of a formal reply.

Room Tip: Go else where or pay very little - and take ear plugs - a bell tower rings every half hour for 24 ho...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank greg k

Reviewed January 19, 2012

This hotel is in one of the most stunning locations, right on the end of the peninsular. We felt completely looked after and had a sense of privacy as the hotel wasn’t nearly as big as some others in the area.
The breakfast there was one of the best that I have had in a long time, which was included with our room; everything else was rather on the expensive side.
I felt the rooms could have done with a little bit of a lift when compared to other places I have stayed and especially at that price, but the location is beyond compare and being able to sit on the terrace and have breakfast or cocktails in the evening makes this a perfect retreat from the busy hustle and bustle of other cities on the Cote.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank oliverjamesgould
Reviewed December 2, 2011

What an amazing location. Great hotel right in the heart of St Jean Cap-Ferrat. Was in town for a concert and loved the room. Had a lovely dinner outside and the staff were very helpful during our stay. It is expensive but given the location it is great. Some good cafes and restaurants a short walk away and it is very easy to get the bus in to the center of Nice, which takes about 25 minutes and is much cheaper than taxis.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Thongchai4286
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Whilst staying at another hotel on Cap Ferrat my friend and I decided to have a bite in the little port. By coincidence we ended up at the restaurant of The La Voile d'Or. The champagne car rolled in and we ordered a glass of champagne an a Black label whiskey. The offered a very nice 3-course dinner of EUR 48 which included 2 galsses of wine and coffee as well. The food was quite good (paté de foie gras, duck, dessert) nad the junior staff very friendly and attentive.
I think the sommelier had an eye ons us from the very beginning because we ordered the cheapest menu. The 3-course dinner was served in only 50 minutes!!!! Even though I mentioned, after having finished main course, that we preferred to wait for dessert half an hour. We asked the sommelier with a smile if the chef was in a hurry in order to be with his wife. He replied in a very arrogant manner: Monsieur, le menu de quarante huit, ca va trop vite!
Translated: if you order the cheapest menu, you have can not stay long here. We immediately paid our check and will never return here again. The place looked nice enough in the beginning, but be aware of this arrogant attitude of this sommelies. The Maitre d' noticed everything, but did not seem very interested to check what was going on. This is not a hotel with a professional staff looking for potential new guests. Like in many place in the Cote d'Azur you have to EARN a friendly treatment. You have to be a frequent guest, then they will treat you kindly and butter someone up. If not, they put their nose in the air.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank EmotionsTraveler
Reviewed October 6, 2011

A lovely hotel with beautiful scenery and view to the harbour. La Voile d'Or is one the top-notch hotels in Cap-Ferrat and you will certainly pay for it. We stayed for 3 nights in a room that was of good size and it even had two balconies, one with a view to the port and the other one over looking houses. The rooms were kept very tidy and in a manner that they were always cleaned whilst we were gone. Our expectations were high for this place, but after having to struggle with the shower, which kept on changing the temperature from boiling hot to icy cold, I was not pleased. You think that a hotel this expensive they could afford to fix the boiler or even upgrade the shower.

Breakfast was wonderful and it was particularly nice to have it on the terrace. Although on our last day there weren't any cleared tables available and it was a bit uncomfortable to start asking the staff to sort out a table for us. I felt like half of the guests staying were there to be seen, which was a bit awkward as it is just a hotel...

Anything else, other than the breakfast, you had to pay a hefty price for! For instance upon our arrival we didn't have any water in our room, so my boyfriend absent-mindedly took two small bottles of Evian from the fridge, which cost 6 euros each. As we were being treated by my boyfriend's parents, we also had lunch at the poolside bar - never have I seen Caesar salad looking so poor and yet being so overpriced. It was literally 2 pieces of chicken on a bed of chopped salad and couple of crutons... This was 20 euros!

Also the concierge was moody... I kindly asked for another key to our room, but instead I received a lecture of how I just can't lose this key. I only wanted a spare key as my boyfriend and I were going on our separate ways that day. Also my boyfriend (who was on crutches and had trouble moving about anyway) had an incident where the cleaner told him in a very condescending manner to put shoes on, as he was going to the pool barefoot. Whether this was for his own good or the cleaner's peace of mind was unclear.

Overall I am glad we got to stay here, but perhaps next time I'd like to rent a villa.

Room Tip: Beware of the shower, you might receive a cold one!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Lokala
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed for 5. Nights September excellent location , superior room ok
With port view, toilet had a lingering smell which wasn't pleasant , breakfast good but had limited choice considering expensive b+b rate , beach pool excellent with lovely views , concierge very rude when asked about getting travel arrangements to Cannes by train or bus , taxi to expensive in France ,my wife wanted to travel by bus or train to see coast views which concierge commented very unusual request his whole attitude wrong . South France lovely part of the world would recommend le port
restaurant very good food and pleasant staff .

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I agree very much with the Schmidt review below. Despite a generally very pleasant visit, I was treated as a complete idiot by the concierge when we had two problems with our room. Some of the staff give the impression of doing the guests a service, which is annoying if you are paying 400 euro or more a night. This hotel in a great location still has a lot going for it, but frankly the overall quality of the staff has gone down in recent years. Pity...

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Eurozoner11
Also consider these accommodations in or near St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel Royal-Riviera
Hotel Royal-Riviera
#1 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hotel & Spa la Villa Cap Ferrat
Hotel & Spa la Villa Cap Ferrat
#3 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & Spa
La Reserve de Beaulieu Hotel & S...
#1 of 14 in Beaulieu-sur-Mer
Club Delcloy
Club Delcloy
#5 of 8 in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee
Hotel Suisse
Hotel Suisse
#9 of 203 in Nice

Been to La Voile d'Or? Share your experiences!