“Fantastic place!”

Les Prairies de la Mer
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband & I speant 3 days here in August 12 and had a fantastic time, there is everything you need on site, the accomodation is lovely and clean with all mod con's. The beach was a 2 min walk from where we were staying so it was easy enough to pop home for a spot of lunch rather than pay to eat at one of the many beach side bars. Port Grimaud is beautiful and well worth a visit. the only complaint I have is the beach is full of fag ends and the site isnt very secure, whilst there we saw a large group of gypsys walking the beach chatting to young girls on their own and also walking around the camp drawing things on peoples cars, they did have security on site watching them but they explained to us that untill they caught them doing something they were allowed to walk around the site. Dont let this put you off mind as this place is well worth a visit, and we would definitly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Les Prairies de la Mer

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We have spent a lot of time in the South of France around the Nice & Monaco areas so we were looking forward to seeing more of the Gulf of St Tropez and we based ourselves at this site. We travelled down with Siesta Holidays on the coach and they have a section of lodges and chalets on this site. We were in a chalet and it was brand new last year. It was spotless, a good size, microwave, DVD player and tv with all the freeview channels you get in the UK. We had our own veranda with table and chairs and gas BBQ.
The site is massive, it has several bars, a take away food place and restaurant and a beach bar literally on the beach that serves up a whole array of food and drinks. We used to love sitting there on an evening before heading into Port Grimaud. The site also has shops, a cash point and 24 hour reception. The nightly entertainment is also excellent. It can be heard from the lodges but it stops at midnight and then the site is totally quiet. We hopped on the bus to St Maxine, St Rapheal and found some lovely markets. You can walk to Port Grimaud either along the beach or out through the site, it's literally 5 mins away and has some lovely restaurants. There's still loads we didn't see in a week! Even though St Tropez is only a short ferry or bus ride away we didn't get around to going there or the medieval village of Grimaud which you get to by the little train that goes from the site. It's not a cheap place but it is the South of France and its a beautiful area. We are already planning our next visit and will definitely go back to this site. One thing I would say is that we would look at a bigger lodge option next time. We were out a lot so it was fine but if you were planning on spending more time in your lodge the living space could be a bit of an issue.
Please don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions about this site or the area as its too much to put it all down here!

• Stayed: September 2012
8  Thank mrsg3107
Reviewed September 29, 2012

OMG what can i say positive about Prairies ,Went there last August with my touring caravan
firstly the pitches were not big enough for our small caravan & awning so we only stayed for one
night, to be fair to the staff they refunded us immediately and we found a much better site in Frejus.
The place was so busy and crammed in it felt like a shanty town (and smelled like one).
The beach is man made & the eateries are very expensive. On the positive side the shop is well stocked & the toilet blocks were acceptable by French standards. In summery i rate this place
NIL POINT

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Donkergen
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My extended family come to the site every year (they have their own van), but I had not been for over 15 years and I was pleased to see that it had not changed too much. All the vans on the site look much more modern, but the site still has a rustic charm and the area is not over commercialised.

We stayed for 5 nights in one of the Riviera Villages caravans which are new, clean(ish), spacious and modern, they also have the best spots either close to or on the beach. Having booked through Riviera Villages we received free wifi and a discount card for some of the activities on site.

Small moans: The caravan was appointed with a stove whistling kettle rather than an electric one, but had a fancy coffee maker for which we would have needed to buy expensive coffee capsules, there was also a wireless keyboard and mouse attached to the television and there was a dishwasher both of which we felt was a bit unnecessary. A normal remote control would have sufficed and I would have found it more useful to be left a tea towel, cloth & washing up liquid, things we had to buy then throw away. I am sure so many people buy these things and use a small amount over a week then throw them away which is not very environmentally friendly. Also there are no recycling facilities which I felt was a bit unusual in this day and age, also considering the amount of rubbish that must be produced.

The shop, bars and restaurants onsite are convenient but very expensive (dearer than Paris where we had been earlier on our trip), I also think that charging for beds on the beach is unreasonable, if you were a couple hiring beds on the beach everyday for a week you would need to increase your holiday budget by €200...not what you would expect from a family holiday resort.

The staff who checked us in and out were friendly, but to our annoyance we had our CC pre-charged a €200 deposit which would be returned to us on inspection of the caravan which we had to clean (despite not being provided with cleaning products and the van not being that clean when we entered it). We purchased a cleaning spray and cloths to clean the van before our inspection, when we handed the keys back, they didn't even check the van and just refunded our deposit.....I wish we hadn't bothered.

We travelled out of season and the park was busy and the beach was slightly overcrowded. Ultimately this is a camp site and not a 5 star hotel, and my rating reflects this, but I would return for a week out of season to relax if I was in France.

Room Tip: Riviera Villages own caravans are the nicest and the best located.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This has to be the best campsite we have stayed at.

Everything about it was super. The campsite is spotless and has everything you need in a very short distance of the site.

We stayed in a caravan with Thomson Al Fresco. The van was fine and ample for 4 adults. The only slight downside was the fact that we were under the impression that the van was located 50 yards from the beach!! It is not!! Albeit very nice - but we had to carry sun loungers to the beach every time as they cost just under £40 to hire for the day!!! That was not in my budget.

The Al Fresco reps were also slightly aloof expect when it came to us leaving and then we saw 3 in an hour - i assume they were eager to get us moving so the cleaning could we done. We arrived late at night and there was no one come over the following day to check if we were settled or needed anything or even a quick hello.

I would return but return to this site but in one of the Tiki Huts overlooking the sea!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the huts!!!!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Melina138
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

This place is located right near the beach! It is simply the best holiday resort ever. In particular the beach bar , which looks out onto the beach is really good, the staff are BRILLIANT and friendly. The food is always amazing ! Thanks for a great holiday ! Also, the entertainment was immense ! Melvis and the beach party, what a night ! See you soon !

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Fonejacka
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We just came home this week, we took our two teens with us for 10 nights and we booked with Thomson Alfresco. We have our positive points and our negative points. Firstly, we liked the site, good supermarket, nice atmosphere in the evenings, canopy bar very nice, some good live music on the mainstage, lovely Italian restaurant, clean beach, which all helped us to overlook the negatives.

Whilst we never quite got to the bottom of the relationship between Thomson and a company called Homair there has been some kind of merger/takeover according to our rep, and this is also confirmed in the very small print at the back of the Alfresco brochure. We asked her about this after we'd heard from our neighbours that Thomsons weren't fully owning the caravans anymore and she told us that the Thomson logo on their reception hut and on their t-shirts will be getting smaller and smaller in the coming years (?!!!). It made sense to me that Thomsons may not be 100% behind our holiday, we've booked with them many times over the years and had excellent holidays in the past but this one was sub-standard. We had to contend with dirty bed linen, and were told on departure that there are no facilities to wash blankets between guest bookings so they don't get washed.

We had to clean the caravan before we left and had our efforts inspected by the rep whilst she withheld our housekeeping cheque which was rather humilitating (guests are required to clean bathroom, fridge, oven, sweep floors etc). What makes this more annoying is that on arrival our blankets were covered in something very suspect looking and they smelled disgusting. Lots of the kitchen equipment we were told we would have was missing. And we booked with Thomson because of their good reputation.

Apparently, so we were told by the rep, during high season prices go up (I don't know if this happens within the campsite but we were told it happens outside the campsite). In one bar in Port Grimaud we ordered a pint of Magners, half a magners and 2 coke's and were charged 17 Euros. Outside one shop we saw Magnum ice creams advertised at 2.30 Euros but inside the shop I was charged 4 Euro's for each. When I queried this I was shown a second price list next to the counter that advertised them for 4 Euros, and I recommended to the seller that she put the real price outside so as not to trick potential customers. In the end we didn't order anything without first deciding if we were happy to pay it. I knew the South of France was pricey, I accepted that when I bought the holiday, I took ample spending money to allow for this but I don't appreciate deception.

Just to say make sure you have your wits about you! I also want to stress that we were never treated this way on the site, we were treated well by all the site staff who were friendly and pleasant. I would return to the site but probably not at high season, and I would definitely not stay with Thomsons again. In high season the beach is mega busy, on the first day I thought it would spoil the holiday but we very quickly got used to it and everyone is doing their own thing and is respectful of everyone else's space.

I would recommend Chez Hesketh in Port Grimaud. Prices much more reasonable, and they have free wifi if you need to hook up on the net whilst you are away, friendly service too and nice cocktails.

As it seems this page is for reviews on the campsite itself I'll rate it for this, eliminating my experience of Thomsons.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Sharfellsie
Al_Fresco_11, Al Fresco Holidays Customer Service Team at Les Prairies de la Mer, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your holiday with us at Prairies de la Mer, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the campsite and the area. Homair is our parent company and we're currently the preferred partner of Thomson (TUI). I'm sorry to hear your accommodation was not up to a high standard, our representatives are trained to prepare your accommodation ready for your arrival and I can confirm we are putting into place a new monitoring system for the upcoming season to address such issues. Thank you for your feedback on your Al Fresco experience Kind Regards Al Fresco Holidays.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grimaud
Pierre & Vacances Village Club Les Restanques du Golfe de Saint-Tropez
#4 of 13 in Ramatuelle
Best Holiday Resort
Best Holiday Resort
#3 of 7 in Port Grimaud

Been to Les Prairies de la Mer? Share your experiences!