“2 Stars for Food, No Stars for Treatment”
Review of Le Chantecler

Le Chantecler
Reserve with
Le Chantecler is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 1,907 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Brussels, Belgium
“2 Stars for Food, No Stars for Treatment”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I returned here after several years with a memory of one of the most remarkable eating experiences that I’ve had in my 30 years of living in Europe. However, this time it was a mixed experience.

If stars are given based on food alone, then the Negresco truly deserves a few stars. And the value of the Sunday lunch menu is without parallel. Menu Plasir: 58 Euros for amuse bouche, starter, main, light refresher before dessert, dessert and coffee. Wine included for 12 euros more. Considering the venue and the kitchen, the price is remarkable.

Here is why it deserves two stars.

The amuse bouche was a mousse with diced salmon and dill; very light and refreshing. Then, a choice of two starters. A large gambas roasted in a crust of nuts and dried fruit surrounded by Crème Dubarry. Wonderful. The other was an egg yolk floating in a Jerusalem artichoke mousseline sauce with thin crunchy cheese sticks. Very imaginative and nicely served. Again, wonderful. Both dishes were mixtures of distinct tastes and textures that complimented one another.

There were also two choices of mains. The first was scallops with fennel in a thick crème sauce. Very good. The other a capon (boned) with mushrooms; equally good.

Prior to dessert, we were served a thick crème (perhaps a mazacan) over candied pineapples and a crumbly bisquet. Very refreshing.

As with other courses, two choices of desert. A brioche with a tasty filling and a spoonful of ice cream on the side. The other a white chocolate cup surrounded by meringue drops on the rim filled with a layer of white chocolate mousse and lemon mouse. Very creative. Both were very good.

Followed by coffee. No refills and thought the coffee nibbles were sparse. About 8-10 items, but only one of each for the three of us.

It is impossible to fault the kitchen in any aspect of this meal. Wonderful.

However, stars are not given for food alone and how we were treated is another story. Here is why it doesn’t merit two stars.

We made a reservation for three (my wife and I and our 21 year old son) one month before our visit. We know that the lunch is popular on Sunday and didn’t want to be turned away. We stopped by the day before to ensure they had the reservation and found they had spelled my name so incorrectly, it was hard to find it. But it was there. We arrived at noon and sat by the inner door waiting for the 12:30 opening. They had a “staff” meeting in the dining room that went on until 12:40, upon which time they opened the doors. We went through the door and presented ourselves, but before I could say a word, I was asked to stand to one side. So we stood until an elderly couple was seated. OK, maybe they were the royal family of food and had christening rights to the place. After that, two different people asked me my name and just walked on when I replied. Hum…. so we waited while a few other parties were seated. Finally a gentleman seated us not in the main dining room, but in the “overflow” room. There were eventually three parties in the room. A group of about 16 from the nearby Keisuke Matsushima, the one star Michelin restaurant where we ate a few days prior, and a casually dressed family of three with a ten year old p[laying a hand held video game. So even though we reserved a month prior and were the first ones to arrive, we were asked to wait and then seated in the less desirable room. The room, actually, was very nice, but not as nice as the main room and with a great deal less activity. It was a boring room. That treatment is not representative of the grace and style of what one would expect for two Michelin stars.

The handling of the wine was both good and bad. There was a choice of red or white for the wine inclusive with the meal and both were very nice. White was poured early (with the amuse bouche) - a plus since it’s normally commences with the starter. And it continued leading up to the main course. Strangely, the person in our party who ordered the capon was not offered a choice of red or white with the main. We noticed that other diners in the other room were offered a choice. White continued until the refreshing item prior to dessert; then it changed to red. This was a bit surprising since wine inclusive with a menu normally ends when the main has finished, unless you have established a repport with the server, or there is to be a considerable wait before the next course. So this was a plus. And it continued red throughout and after the dessert. Finally, although we were presented with the label, there was no explanation of the wine itself. Thought that to be a bit odd. So while the wine was good and the volume very good, the identification of the wine as well as not offering a choice was odd- especially for a two star Michelin restaurant.

Two final things. It took some time for someone to take payment. The bill came promptly when asked, but after I put my credit card on top, we sat there for some time. Servers came by, but apparently they weren’t authorized to touch it. Finally one of the floor managers came over with a remote charge machine and we paid. It took him a while since he was predominantly in the nice dining room, rather than ours. So I attribute this to our being seated in the overflow room staffed by the “B” Team.

And finally, while the servers addressed my wife and I as madame and monsieur, they never addressed our son. They would just place the plate in front of him. While we didn’t have suits, we did wear dress shirts and ties. And we were better dressed than many people in the main dining room.

So the food merits the two stars, but the service and staff, although good, were not at the level of elegance for even one star. Cumulatively, it was a disappointment when compared to my previous visit.

I must say, however, that when the floor manager was available, he was very well mannered and helpful. We spoke a bit about restaurants in Nice and he convinced us to cancel our reservation with a notable place the follwoing day and instead go Le Bistro Gourmand – which was an outstanding recommendation.

Would I go back? Of course. But I would go just for the food. And I would prepare myself to be treated as less that desirable - at least by Negresco. The experience was lacking.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Mr G

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Gerrards Cross, United Kingdom
“Possibly the best restaurant I have ever eaten in”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We ate in Le Chantecler on my partner's birthday. It's a Michelin two-star, but makes most Michelin-starred restaurants in Britain look very mediocre, and was in our view as good as, and in one case far better than, the Michelin-starred restaurants we have eaten in in Paris.

We had the tasting menu, which was varied and consistently good. Better still, the quantities of wine in the accompanying wine selection were respectably large (in England the accompanying wine tends to be rather meagre in quantity, as well as generally less well chosen).

The dining room is very attractive too. The quality of the service perhaps declined a bit towards the end of the evening, but overall it was an excellent meal, easily at the top end of Michelin two stars. We loved it!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Malbarrbak
Barcelona, Spain
“Well worth its 2 Michelin stars”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Exquisite food in a beautiful restaurant.
Delicious menu.
Not so expensive (€90).
Verry nice (but expensive) winelist

Visited November 2013
Antwerp
“Great for a romantic evening”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

It's always nice to combine a city trip with a dinner in a michelin star restaurant. And there was quite a choice in Nice.
The location at the Negresco hotel is wonderful altough I'm not a fan of the modern art that is displayed in this hotel. The Chantecler however stays true to the grandeur of yesteryears.
We went for the Menu Découverte and weren't disappointed. It was a "promenade" through the signature dishes of the chef.
For such a menu, the price was reasonable and the pairing wines were of a high level.
Service was first class from start to finish.
One thing though: when you go to restaurants like the Chantecler, the first thing you are showed is the trolley with the champagnes, and you never bother to ask how much a glass costs. So it was a bit of a surprise when I checked the bill back at the hotel and found out a single glass of champagne had cost us 38 euros. It was a very good champagne though.

• Visited October 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“We found Bellet and discovered Voss”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We decided to splurge on the last evening of our eight day stay in Nice. As one would expect from a restaurant with such a high accreditation and reputation the food at Le Chantecler was outstanding. We went a la carte. The first surprise was to find Dublin Bay prawns on the menu and my friend ordered these. The crab cannellonis with mango was my starter. Of course we shared! Both dishes were superb....an explosion of wonderful flavours. Roulade de sole and Vapeur de Turbot followed....excellent. Amuse bouche arrived in between courses. For desert we went for Opera House Tea cake and souffle. All artistically presented and really delicious. So, five stars for Le Chantecler!
The restaurant was only half full so it lacked atmosphere.We found the staff a little condescending. Waiters rattled off the ingredients in each dish at such speed it was impossible to understand. When presented with the wine list I was asked did we want recommendations. I said no, indicating that I wished to peruse the list ( which is extensive ). It was then I found Bellet! Many years ago I had heard about this little-known wine produced in the hills to the west of Nice and had enquired about it at several restaurants during the week but none had stocked it. Bellet is one of the smallest appellations produced from vines believed to have been introduced by the Phoenicians 4000 years ago and grown on steep inclines where use of machinery is impossible. I ordered a Chateau du Cremat white. The waiter began to respond with his recommendations for the dishes we had ordered. I confirmed my order and we enjoyed the Bellet!
The water served was Voss which I had never heard of before. It's Norwegian and expensive. I looked it up when I got home. Voss says it's "on the tables of the most discerning consumers"....yes, that was us! However, I was alarmed to read that TV3, a norwegian TV company, say the source for Voss is the same as the municipal tap water in the town of Iveland. Seite3, a Swiss newspaper, call it "the most expensive tap water in the world". Well, I'll drink to that!

• Visited September 2013