“Delicious with Friendly Service”
Review of Lou Colonial

Lou Colonial
Ranked #50 of 2,000 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French, Fusion
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2016

We love to eat the local specialties when we travel, but we especially love Asian food when we are tired of the local fare. When we read about Lou Colonial we immediately reserved a table on our first night in Nice. We were happy we did. The staff are friendly and helpful. We sat on the little patio that filled up quickly. The nems were so delicious and fresh. We had a chicken and noodle stir fry and a Thai salad. Both were excellent. Prices are reasonable. We will return in a heartbeat next time we are in Nice.

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (698)

Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

This is a nice restaurant in the old city of Nice. Friendly staff and good prices. The food was very tasty and we did not wait a long time for the food.

Reviewed August 14, 2016 via mobile

We visited Lou Colonial in August 2016. Ordered the prawn wok and shrimp & chicken pad Thai. We found the food to be on the bland side. The prawn in the wok was not quite integrated or mixed in - felt like the prawn was added on top as an after thought. But the wok noodles were delicious. The pad Thai needed a whole lot of sriracha sauce (which they provided) for adequate taste.

Service was otherwise good.

Need reservations in advance - probably driven by the high trip advisor rating.

1  Thank raina_shreyas
Reviewed July 18, 2016

Came here on the strength of the reviews, and I had not had a good pad thai in years.

Tried the pad thai but what I got was certainly not a pad thai by definition. It was tasty, dont get me wrong, but tasted like a stir fry with massaman type curry spice, not anywhere near a pad thai.

I enjoyed it, but was not what I wanted.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank eugeneyuriz
Reviewed July 17, 2016 via mobile

If your an avid fan of Asian food do not expect to be wowed.

We started off trying some of the Asian beer they have on offer which was good. The service is friendly and quick.

As for the food... the only part of the meal I enjoyed was the starter salad. The "spring rolls" are nothing like I have tasted before and not in a good way. A thick pastry instead of the thin pastry you would traditionally expect and who knows what meat. Very bland, I only consumed one. The dipping sauce it's paired with also as practically no taste/flavour. Typically spring rolls are one of my favourite Thai starter dishes not here would not recommend them at all.

My husband and I shared a main from the chefs recommended menu. Pad tai, this meal was extremely peanut buttery. Not bad but not good either.

For the prices you pay I would expect better quality food and more Asian vegetables in the mix.

Unfortunately I would not recommend this place to a person who really likes Asian food and am surprised at the high rating on trip advisor.

Service was very good and friendly, but won't be back.

Date of visit: July 2016