“Upsides: lovely staff, amazing view, small, quiet, downsides: not quite central, teeny room”

Le Panoramic Boutique Hotel
Ranked #90 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed July 10, 2009

This is a lovely, small hotel in the hills of Nice. I have to admit my first impression of the room was "it's tiny!" but I got used to it and I know the French like to put bathrooms in the wardrobe so that wasn't such a shock :) There are no tea or coffee making facilities but we asked for hot water and got it along with a carafe of cold each evening.

I have no idea what the previous reviewer is talking about with cleanliness because I was more than happy staying here. The decor was also fine. Maybe they are picky? Also, someone previously complained about the dog which I find incredible. We stayed for 2 nights and never heard a peep out of it and it's a cute little white fluffy thing which I fell in love with even though I'm a cat person. We were also more than happy with the breakfast which consisted of orange juice, hot drink, croissant and petit pain with jam and honey (there was an option to replace this with something else which I don't recall) and yoghurt or fresh fruit or fruit compote. You could also pay for cereal or other things separately.

You have to change buses twice to get to the hotel from the airport so it's not recommended if you don't like a bit of adventure. The last bus stop is however at the hotel door so that is good. You could of course take a taxi but that will set you back about 35 euros. A day pass on the buses and trams is 4 euros. However, what you lose in practicality you do make up for in spectacular views of Nice (especially from the restaurant which has a small casual seating area) and peace and quiet.

Getting into town is about a 10 minute walk down a picturesque stepped walk to the closest tram stop and then 10-15 minutes on the tram to Old Nice. Alternatively catch the bus to the bottom of the hill and then another into town. This second option isn't available after 8 so prepare for some interesting walks in the dark up the hillside if you come back late! We did it both nights we were there though and it wasn't so bad.

We found the staff lovely and more than happy to put up with our terrible French. They were accommodating of anything we asked for and very friendly. We also appreciated the free Wifi. The bed was comfy, I loved the rustic shutters and the view from the balcony was just amazing. If only the room was bigger and the location slightly easier to get to.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 1, 2009

I stayed in this hotel with my boyfriend. You have just to see the photos. We stayed in a triple room with balcony and view but it was impossible to site in the balcony and admire the view because all the area of the hotel was very old. The room was smelling, it had two wardrobes and every time i opened them I wasn't sure what would expect me inside...the bathroom very small with a little window. Bed very old, with thin blanket and very unconfortable. I managed to be all day outside because i didn't want to come back to this awful room. You have to see the fotos. Breakfast had one croissant, bread, butter and miel that went from table to table. This room should't have permission to operate, I can't understand how the authorities of tourism gave them the persmission.

Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheoniAthens
Reviewed June 3, 2009

I have just come back from 3 nights at le panoramic.

The room was a reasonable size and the views over Nice were wonderful, how great it was to look out on a hot sunny day.

The hotel itself is well run and the management are very accommodating to requests.

The only downfall from my part is that I don't drive and the taxi cost 25 euros from the centre of town.

I thought having free wi-fi for guests was a nice touch.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 21, 2008

This Hotel made my trip to nice. Nice being completely full of tourist , this little boutique hotel is like a breath of fresh air. The hotel is located on one of the surrounding hills which makes the view one of my favorite memories. Also, because of the new tram its very easy to get to all the action.

IMPORTANT: EAT DINNER AT THE RESTAURANT !
it was the best food i had during my entire trip , SO SO SO worth it.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Allyse
Reviewed June 29, 2008

After much internet searching in downtown Nice we had chosen this hotel for it's unique location, view and were especially tempted by the in house restaurant. All went to plan, the welcome charming by Valérie and Bruno and not to forget the tail wagging, non barking Schweppes.

Really felt at home, the meals were tops with the fabulous backdrop of la Baie des Anges. I would go back and follow with interest the evolution of this somewhat unique hotel with the enthousiasm and good taste of it's owners. Breakfast next to the bouganvilea - what a way to start the day.

Beware of the map on the tramway station showing where the 84 bus stop is.. not actually yet.. apart from that getting around was easy.. A tip that Valérie told us - take the 84 bus ride to la Baie des Fourmis from right outside the hotel and visit the Villa Karylos.

2  Thank trishParis
Reviewed June 27, 2008

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel during my honeymoon. The view over the city is spectacular ! The owners are really sweet, they have treated us very nice and recommended us beautiful places to see. The rooms are really clean and well cared for! I would definitely recommend it to anyone going on the French Riviera.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adrian29
Reviewed June 2, 2008

We stayed at the hotel in April 2008, after having read some excellent reviews on tripadvisor.

The hotel is roughly 10 minute drive from the town center approximately 3 kilometers up the side of a steep hill. Once you have reached the hotel the first problem becomes apparent, the hotel does not have any parkings and you need to leave your car in a public open air parking spot, which is not always easy to find at a weekend.

The view from the hotel is really panoramic, and we did thoroughly enjoy sitting out on the terrace at night enjoying a bottle of wine which we had purchased in town. And that is exactly where everything had to be purchased, nothing in any real proximity to the hotel as far as shopping is concerned

Getting into town was easy, a short 10 minutes walk down the side of the hill, then catch a tram into town which takes another roughly 10 minutes (the tramstop is one of the last stops before the end of the line). Getting back home was a nightmare, walk up a step mountain path and numerous stairs for over 20 minutes and that after having had a full meal in town center. Not easy! A taxi from town center to the hotel will cost you approximately 25 euros.
The interior is not decorated very tastefully, old white walls dominated our room, with a bathroom that had seen better days and beds which should have been replaced years ago. The walls itself were so paper thin, that you heard all noises coming from all other bedrooms situated on the same floor.

The owners of the hotel are very friendly, they do, however, have a small dog who likes to make a nuisance of himself and bark at all guests.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Stout21