“Don't stay here.....”
Review of Hotel Le Royal

Hotel Le Royal
Ranked #118 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The room we had was dark and dismal, the wallpaper was peeling and the room smelt. The bathroom had broken tiles and mould everywhere and when we showered the bathroom flooded. The two single beds had plastic under the sheets and old woolen blankets. The staff were unhelpful with booking tours etc, lazy and almost rude.
Breakfast is very basic with squeeze your own juice and make your own coffee.
The location was perfect but the hotel is old, worn and very overpriced and should be rated as a hostel not a hotel.
We tried to change rooms but the staff were not at all helpful, perhaps because we had booked a non refund room online they had our money regardless.
Overall the location was wonderful, close to restaurants and the beach but the hotel was such a disappointment in quality, service and value.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Renita B
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Royal

Reviewed July 21, 2014

We(me,my wife and my 13 years old daughter ) stayed two nights at the Le Royal.
Overally it met our expectations.
Our room: renovated , sea view , floor 1
Pros:
1-Location : unbeatable , easy access ( 15 walking to train station , bus stop to airport less than 100m)
2-Staff : polite,helpful
3-Room: clean,magnificent view , quite spacious
4-Breakfast : fresh,diverse
Cons:
1-Even needs a big renovation
2-unstable wifi

Room Tip: Just renovated room
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Adybeig
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We Stayed at this Hotel July 4 to July 11 and can recommend it , all the staff are very friendly we paid for breakfast plenty of choice and quite good value for Nice , The hotel is on the front so great location our room was a city view one !!! quite large by French standards but needs updating we will definitely use this Hotel again as we go to Nice quite often if the price is right .

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Guy B
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Good location, rooms extreemly clean, a little dated but clean never the less. Very helpful reception staff. Bathroom needed a little work re shower but ok. Good value for money considering the location

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
2  Thank Martin W
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I'm flying into Nice then traveling to Cannes by train for a few days. During planning I accidentally booked Le Royal Hotel in Nice. That's my mistake and my responsibility. I booked the non-refundable rate. That's also my responsibility. When I realized my mistake I contacted Le Royal Hotel to tell them that I booked the wrong city by mistake and asked if they would make an exception and refund at least 3 of the 4 nights that I paid for, they refused (and not in a friendly, "I'm sorry" kind of way). I then asked if they also owned a hotel in Cannes. They do in fact. So I asked if they would be so kind as to transfer my reservation from their hotel in Nice to their hotel in Cannes. I even offered to pay a higher rate if the hotel was more expensive. "No", I was told. I made a reservation for this hotel. If that was a mistake then that is my problem. It's not up to them to correct my mistake and transfer reservations from one of their hotels to another. If I want to stay at their hotel in Cannes, then I can make a reservation there and pay all over again. Needless to say i did not make a reservation at their hotel in cannes nor would I. Bottom line is, yes, the reservation was my mistake and I should have booked the refundable rate.......but the customer service that i received from Le Royal Hotel was rude at best. I also feel like they stole my money. I honestly believe they should have made even some effort to transfer the reservation. Live and Learn

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank paulsf37
Reviewed July 12, 2014

The only good thing about Le Royal is the location which is right on the Promenade. That's about it though. Truly an outdated and awful place to stay. The rooms albeit are "small" as most are in Europe. These were very small and down right crappy. And the overuse "scent" as an attempt to over come the musty smell, so if you like being assaulted by that "car refresher" strip that we have in the U.S. Then go for it. Even with the window open 24-7 we could not get rid of that terrible and abusive smell. It clung to us, so you'd get a whiff of it throughout the day when not even at the hotel. You're better off sleeping in a park then this place. I truly do NOT recommend it. Nice is too nice for a place like this. We rented an apartment on our next visit with the same view. It was much less expensive and truly fantastic. I recommend that route.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peter C
Reviewed July 7, 2014

After reading reviews decided to upgrade to superior room with balcony and it was sooo worth it. Had breakfast in room (choice of healthy or hearty breakfast) - no extra charge for breakfast in room and we enjoyed the treat - with the fabulous view. (Found prices for breakfast in cafes just as expensive and not nearly as good.)There is a sculpture outside the hotel of an art deco lady in a swimsuit - which may people stop to take photos of - including us.

We had no complaints about the room or the hotel - drinks were reasonably priced in cafe and service was good. Front reception very helpful and efficient - looked after our left luggage - we enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

We would recommend the superior rooms with balcony - the balconies are small - cannot say anything about other rooms as we did not see them. We do not expect to return to Nice as we feel we have seen it all and the world is such a big place.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple