“Very basic rooms and no frills what so ever” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Le Royal

Hotel Le Royal
Ranked #126 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Dublin, Ireland
“Very basic rooms and no frills what so ever”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night stay at Le Royal. Thanks to TA, we knew in advance to ensure we were allocated a refurbished room and this we were. The decor of room was fine but definitely nothing to blow anyone away. My problem was how basic it was. There were none of the usual bits and bobs that normal hotels have - no glasses or cups, no pencil/pen and little notepad, no showercaps, no sign to hang on the door if you did not want to be disturbed, no shelf to put anything in the shower, no english channels on the tv and so forth.

The wifi was a joke. Only one device could be logged on at one time so my husband and we had to take turns in using it. It was also very temperamental.

Another grievance was that if you require a travel adaptor the hotel staff will only sell you one for €7, Surely could they not lend you one and take a deposit from you....

The reception staff were okay-ish. Upon checking out though there was not so much as a good bye. It really does not take much to ask if you if you enjoyed your stay.

The only good thing about the hotel was the location and the sea view but overall for €230 per night I can safely say that the price did not come close to justifying our stay.

Room Tip: Sea view was the only good thing about this hotel!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank colmol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had realistic expectations for our 3 star hotel....
However....the facade is superb, the location brilliant... Our rooms soooooo depressing
(We had 2 - a double and a twin)... Dark, dingy and basic! The beds rock hard and the carpet threadbare... We were so disappointed. Bathrooms grim too.. With mould & tired, stained baths & frugal towels.
They have pictures of room refurbishment - we saw no sign!
We won't be going back to this hotel however great the location!

Room Tip: Stay at the Negresco!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Belinda B

Travelers are raving about these Nice hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location. Right in the middle of the main strip, close walk to many restaurants, bus stops, bicycle rentals, and a beautiful beach! The staff is reasonably helpful. They dont really go out of there way to make your stay special like most higher priced hotel staff will do. Le Royal is more of a mid-high priced hotel with a fancy hotel veneer. I found the lobby to be outdated and clean from a distance but I notice up close it was quite dirty. My wife and I paid the extra 60 euros/night for for the renovated room with the ocean view. The view of the beach/ocean/strip is great. The room was very nicely decorated but very cheaply finished. Poor craftsmanship for a European hotel room. If I was to go back to Le Royal, I would not pay the extra money for the renovated/ocean view. I dont mind older rooms as long as they are clean and well maintained, and if you want a view that bad, just walk out the front door. The room was well air conditioned and very clean.

• Stayed August 2013
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Wonderful stay at the Le Royal - we were greeted with macaroons in our ocean front room with a double balcony. The room itself was beautiful - recently remodeled, lots of space, comfortable bed, and very clean!! For being on the main street in Nice, it was also quiet and the curtains closed to make it very dark at night. The entire staff was so accommodating and wonderful. We can't wait to come back and stay again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

I had prepaid this hotel on the Internet, and booked a single room. When I arrived at 3 pm, the room was not ready. I asked if they could move my reservation to one that was but I was told I'd have to wait for that one. At 4 pm I was given the room. It was very small, but the bathroom was bright and large. The bed needed upgrading, the mattress sloping slightly to the side most likely frequently sat on. The walls were thin, and the tv next door annoying when I wanted to sleep. Otherwise it was a quiet room at the back. Overall worth staying on the seafront.

Room Tip: Book a renovated room. It's too late when you get there
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Roswitha357
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were put in an unrenovated room with an awful smell of sewerage in the bathroom. Paid €233 per night the same as my sister who had a renovated room. Complained three times and asked to be moved but were told we hadn't booked through hotel even though online booking facility was on hotel website. We had paid upfront three and a half months earlier or we would have checked out. Eventually they changed us the third night and it was like being in different hotel. Absolutely ruined the beginning of the holiday in Nice. €699 for three nights. No apologies from staff. Would never go back. I have never complained about a hotel or any services ever before.

• Stayed July 2013