“EXTREME FOOD POISONING, how to ruin a weekend in Nice in one meal.”
Review of JAN

JAN
Ranked #6 of 1,947 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated just behind the old port of Nice, JAN is a small restaurant that welcomes locals as well as visitors from all over the world. JAN being from South Africa adds a touch of South African heritage both on the menu and the wine list. We welcome you to be our guests for an unforgettable experience.
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Restaurant was nice, service was relatively slow, but made sense for the type of place. Food was delicately prepared and plated nicely, only 2 of the 3 of us eating got terrible food poisoning later that evening. For the price of the meal, this was extremely disappointing and ruined our weekend in Nice. This is a huge turn off, considering how sick we felt afterwards (AWEFUL). I WOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT RETURN. Although impossible to foresee, it was a bloody terrible experience for everyone.

13  Thank Canadian_travellers3
Jan Hendrik v, Owner at JAN, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear Sir.

We were extremely shocked to have read your comment titled “EXTREME FOOD POISONING”, and would have preferred that you contacted us immediately in such a serious allegation in order for us to investigate this matter.

Firstly as Head chef and owner of this restaurant I would like to inform you that we all work extremely hard everyday to ensure our guests enjoy only the freshest and finest quality of products. Our attention to strict hygiene and fresh produce is our first priority and I can assure you that
from the moment we receive any products they are immediately logged and dated according to the law, and prepared with utmost attention by qualified personnel.

Our produce is delivered daily and as a small busy restaurant with a small menu I guarantee you our turn-over is to the rate that nothing gets close to the point of food poisoning.

I regret that we might have spoiled your weekend in Nice, but to the contrary I am not sure you can prove this incredibly strong allegation that you got sick from food you had at our restaurant. Food that we serve with utmost pride to our local and international guests.
I urge you to contact me directly to discuss this serious allegation.
jh@restaurantjan.com

Jan

There are newer reviews for JAN

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The staff is very professional and bring food to your table in a formal manner. The pairings of wine and plate were excellent. We can see why Jan is rated so highly.

1  Thank D3Cent
Reviewed July 13, 2014

we dined in april 2014, and had a lovely time. both the food and service was excellent, and the decor in the restaurant was lovely.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Jan and his team are amazing, the food is incredible and the place has a great vibe, it really feels like this guy is going places.

We had starters of Salmon and also the calamari with chorizo, both were stunning.

Then followed by braised veal cheeks and also the Bobotie, which is a South African shepherds pie! Again, both were faultless.

The shared cheese plate was also superb and I finished with the cucumber and pineapple sorbets, which were delicious.

Jan made time to speak to every table, which is not something seen too often especially in France unfortunately.

A great restaurant, great staff and a great chef.

1  Thank Passportstamp967
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We chose Jan as the restaurant for our 1st night and anniversary dinner in Nice from the TA reviews. We were pleased to be able to make web-based reservations and delighted to have an international confirmation call from Andriana Babara two days before our arrival.

Jan is a small, romantic and tastefully decorated establishment. It has an elegant interior décor with white linen tablecloths and flowers everywhere. The food is French with the South African flavor and the staff is conversant and friendly.

We were served by Philippe Foucault who is very knowledgeable of the blending of the various food groups presented on the menu. He also assisted us in selecting wines for each of our courses. We started with the grilled calamari with smoked haddock emulsion. I followed with a rack of lamb with roasted vegetables of the province. My wife had the traditional South African Bobotie with yellow basmati rice and toasted almonds. We completed our meal with raspberries, shortbread and ice cream

I had the good fortune to be able to see directly into the kitchen at the spot where Chef Jan Hendrik produced each dish. His attention to the final preparation of each dish was a joy to see. Later in the evening, Chef Jan stopped by our table and thanked us personally for attending his established.

This is one of the most delightful experiences I have had in any restaurant in the world and will definitely return the next tine I am in Nice.

1  Thank magus4u