“Disappointed”

Ranked #17 of 204 Hotels in Nice
La Jolla, California
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I try to make a point of never writing negative reviews. But after giving the hotel every chance to make it right by simple explanation or the even the courtesy of a concerned call from management, none of my calls were returned. So here goes...
Slipped my eyeglasses in to the pocket of the hotel robe on the third day of our stay. Apparently this was the day to launder the robe and the pockets weren't checked. Well, you know the rest. Inquiring, I was patient at first with the lack of responsiveness as I do not speak French and I considered that. But after several calls around the hotel and inquiries in person at reception, no acknowledgement was made to the oversight or calls returned. If i did not also have contact lenses to wear, this could have been a vacation nightmare as sightseeing would be difficult without eyesight. As it was, I had to wear my prescription sunglasses on the early morning flight home.
I even gave them a chance to explain when I got home by writing an email which was not acknowledged.
Also good to know: I chose the hotel after careful research and was well aware that the bathroom shower provided no privacy as it is glass enclosed and located in the middle of the room. This was no problem for us, but I felt sorry for a family at the desk that was asking to change because they had a 12 year old daughter. Apparently there are a handful of rooms available with a more private floor plan, but they were not available for this family. Be aware that this is the setup and if this will not work for you, request one of the private floorplan rooms before you come.
On a positive note, the hotel was very bright and clean. The bed was lovely and the white bed linens are super comfortable.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abracadebra54
exedra, General Manager at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing with us your experience at the Boscolo Exedra, we really regret to learn that your stay did not come up to your expectation and we are taking very seriously into consideration your negative experiences. Be assuring that the Management will take all necessary steps and make all efforts in order that these episodes did not repeat themselves as for us the service attention and attitude toward our guest is the priority and we hope to improve these aspects in the shortest terms.
Again please accept our sincere apologize for the problems occurred with your eyeglasses left in the pocket of the hotel robe, we have effectively contacted the laundry that collect the bathrobe but unfortunately we did not manage to find your glasses, my assistant wrote you a message to inform you about this research, we apologize for the delay of our answers. We are working n order that the guest will not encounter this situation in the future again.
The Hotel have effectively many bathrooms that are part of the room however we are able to provide connecting rooms for family (to be requested in advance) as well as few rooms with separate bathrooms that probably were not available on the time of your stay.
We hope that you will have the opportunity to return and experience these changes in the future we will be more than pleased to propose you as gesture of goodwill a free upgrading and a VIP welcome. With kind regards.
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London-Brighton
Reviewed October 5, 2012

First trip to Nice and we had good stay at this hotel. I love the white design scheme, room & building throughout is clean & modern. Location is very good as it's away from the crowd yet only walking distance to the beach and nice boutique area (Louis Vuitton, etc...). The only thing I miss here is a space to sunbathe. The staff is friendly & very helpful BUT not accurate with the information they provide us. They say car hire outside hotel is much cheaper, after we looked around, it turns out from the hotel is much better service & cheaper. They say paying directly at the Ruhl Private Beach is cheaper than buying voucher from the reception but it turns out to be wrong. The service at breakfast also just ok, despite their friendliness they are forgetful and took ages to provide simple request (milk for tea, extra cup, hot water, etc...). But as they are friendly, very helpful and meaning doing well, I won't complain much about this. Just note for the management so these little details can be improved. Overall I enjoyed very much our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Boscolo Exedra Nice is an example of a luxury hotel suitable for a wide variety of clients and also for families. I had stayed for a week at this hotel with my family and I'm very satisfied.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
The room was really spacious, with free bed for our 11 year old son !
Everything is furnished with great taste and refinement, in a particular and pleasant way.
The hotel offers many services such as the restaurant, bar and spa area, where they graciously allowed us to get our son.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank DenisCooper
Dear Guest,

We have really appreciated for taking the time to express your feedback concerning your stay in our property on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to welcome you, every day the main goal of the management and the staff of the Boscolo Exedra are to reach guest satisfaction. It is important that you have appreciated our rooms and service also suitable for family with children as the management is very attentive to satisfy a wide range of clients.
We hope to have the chance to welcome you for your next stay on the French Riviera.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the hotel in August 2011.
The hotel itself if very beautiful. The rooms are clean and very well maintained. Overall its pretty much as advertised. Hotel itself gets an "excellent".
As for the hotel staff...I would say average. Overall you may get an impression that they are somewhat snobby. Couple of complains that I had (which did not ruin the trip or the impression of the hotel):
1. When I was making a reservation, I requested that the room would not be on the floors 3 and up. However I got the room on the second floor.
2. The room door sometimes would "jam" and you REALLY had to push it in order for it to open. When I brought it up with the hotel concierge, he said he will take care of it but never did.
3. The room keys kept expiring after 3(?) days... Which I dont really understand because we stayed there for 7 nights. This means that you have to go back to the reception for them to change the expiry. A waste of time I think.
4. With my room being on the second floor, the windows and the doors were facing a common terrace. The transparent curtains did not offer much privacy. When I asked at the front desk if it was possible to close the metal pull-down door for the evening time (for privacy reasons), I was told that they never have any break-in and its not necessary. Which wasn't what it was about.
These are the things that you could put up with I guess. And overall I would probably stay in the same hotel next time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GennadiyR
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I spent 3 days in Exedra in Nice, in September. If you like white, you will like the hotel. everithing is white: the lobby and the rooms. Rooms are modern, nice decorated and furnished.

The breakfast is very good and is a nice terrace where you can stay.

The hotel is not far from the sea and close to shopping area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gabriela N
exedra, General Manager at Boscolo Exedra Nice, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 25, 2012

Madrid
Reviewed September 21, 2012

If you are looking for a great hotel and stay choose the Exedra Nice. A few months ago I was on holiday with my husband and my 17 years old daughter. The luxury entrance conducts you into a refined and light-filled lobby graced by white decorations. You will find the same style and colours in the rooms. We booked a deluxe room with a double bed and an extra bed. It was totally white and had a refined and elegant design. The bathroom was also very nice, the only downside was the lack of privacy as It was in sight. The relaxation area was very comfortable and I really enjoyed this opportunity to chill out with my family. The swimming pool was free and had an original design. The spa was also fine but be careful if you have young children because the minimum age is 12 years. Because of the strategic location of the hotel, shops and restaurants are within easy reach. The hotel is about 10 minutes from Its private beach called "Promenade des Anglais". The way to the beach is not tiring and It’s nice to enjoy the landscape while you’re walking. The beach offers sunbeds, beach umbrellas and towels. The hotel has also bars and restaurants inside. I would strongly recommend the restaurant "The Fish": the food is delicious. The staff was very friendly, kind and experienced.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ConsueloRMadrid

Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed September 20, 2012

One can read all sorts of fancy visionary statements from the owners of this hotel chain but the only thing that really stands out is the high price. The Nice property should be 3 stars not 5. Room service is €5 extra charge on top of high room rate. Borrowing a cork opener from the lobby bar was impossible "because there was only one in the hotel" When complaining at the front desk, I was promptly advised that I could complain to the manager the following morning. Everywhere you look, from the entrance to the bathroom, lack of maintenance is rampant.

Room Tip: Stay away.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arnar S
Dear Guest,
Again please accept our sincere apologize for the maintenance problems that we are immediately solving in order that the guest will not encounter this situation in the future again.
The Management