“Great meal in Nice”

Le Statu.co
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Booked this restaurant based on TripAdvisor reviews and was delighted. Friendly service and very busy. Started with gazpacho taster before an entree of asparagus and smoked salmon salad and a tasting plate that included beignets and a vegetarian pissaladiere. Followed with rabbit stuffed with foie gras and a beef fillet with mushrooms. They were accompanied by a gratin daupinoise and a gratinee of broccoli and zuchini. Had a relatively cheap bottle of red recommended by the chef which went very well with the meal. I should have enjoyed another one!

1  Thank Gordon M

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We were a bit surprised that this classy looking restaurant was quite empty on the evening we came but having confidence in the recommendations on Trip Advisor we prepared for a good meal ahead.

The service was wonderful, friendly and attentive, with the menu being explained with great detail and passion.

We both enjoyed the starters (melon sorbet and fig starter and Bella Nissa). The success of the mains was mixed with my companion saying it's one of the best dishes he's ever had (referring to the rabbit fillet with fois gras) and the other one of us not really enjoying the dish (the daube beef in red wine sauce- which I found to be a little too fatty for my personal taste and the general dish therefore being very heavy and rich. It's possible that some people with richer palettes than mine and who like the taste of savoury red-wine sauce may enjoy it though). Desserts which consisted of 3 taster portions of different dishes, were enjoyable - particularly the fruit dishes which had some tang to balance out the sweetness. All together the portions were very generous. We both felt like we could literally barely move after the whole 3 course meal! so come hungry!

Overall, I think if you order the right things for you on the menu (which I suspect is 99% of the dishes on there), this restaurant has the potential of offering you the perfect night :)

1  Thank Susie W
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked this restaurant following the good reviews on trip advisor. We enjoyed it enormously despite the road works outside! I had the Niçois menu at €29 which was extremely good value for money if you have a large appetite. The starter, bella nissa, was huge and the other 2 courses followed suit. My other half and son chose from the a la carte menu and also had generous portions which they thoroughly enjoyed. However we would say that there is no comparison with Scottish beef which is far superior to anything we've ever had in France. Staff were very attentive and we could not fault the place. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Nice. We would go back apart from the fact that there are a huge number of restaurants here to try.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Based on ta-reviews, we booked our last night on honeymoon at this restaurant. Sadly, we got really disappointed.
- ok start, with few people in the restaurant
- service got slower and slower
- starters quite ok! Even if they came back because they forgot what we ordered
- no refill at the table with wine or water, no questions asked what so ever
- main course failed totally. I ordered steak with foie gras sauce, medium rear. It was like chewing gum. Called for the waitress, who asked some questions, why i didn't like it etc. Got a new course and the chef came to make sure that the new course would be good. He explained that the waitress was bad at english, and said medium well... My new course was better, but not good... When the chef came to check on me he said that i should have been here last week, because they had fillet that week...
- my wife ordered duck, and that was dry as well. The chef said it was because it wasn't breast but fillet!
- we got one main course for free, and that saved le statu from an even worse critic!
- stay away if you expect a gourmet meal with good service...

1  Thank paalmer
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I found this restaurant on Tripadvisor and it was everything and more when we were able to have a meal here. This is one very busy place and a reservation is a must as we were not able to get in the first time we tried. The portions are HUGE (and I had been led to believe that small portions are the norm in France) and presented like pictures, they are so beautiful. We shared the Nissa Bella appetizer and it consisted of about 12 different small portions of appetizers. Then we had the grilled duck with cherries, pomme de terrre, vegetable napoleon and garnishes. Too full for desert although we saw what others were eating and they also looked beautiful. .The staff were all really nice, spoke english very well and the owner even came around to see how we were doing. If you love good food, this is a place to go