Hotel Pastoral
$324
$315
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
Hotel La Villa Nice Promenade(Nice)(Great Value!)
$122
$276
$241
$220
  • Pool
Hotel de la Fontaine(Nice)(Great Value!)
$135
$121
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel West End(Nice)(Great Value!)
$207
$300
$287
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I'm trying to get my money back that I was charged on my credit card the day after we checked out. We left the room undamaged, took nothing, and it was even left tidy. We were charged 36euros for no reason, and I'm trying to get it refunded.

Apart from that, the hostel room had a comfortable bed, fridge and microwave, own shower (no toilet) in the double room. It's close to the train station, but a little far from the old Nice town.

No common room, kitchen or computer area, however, the guy at the desk lent us his little netbook for a little while to check something online.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank naushikaa
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I was extremely disappointed to be blatently ripped off by this hostel as I have stayed in many hostels travelling extensively around the world over the last 10 years and have never had this problem before!

To summerise why this hostel (family run) is very dishonest:

Myself, my brother and sister in law arrived late to the hostel around 10pm and paid the balance of the room in cash (perhaps naively didn't insist on a reciept) and we checked out the following day to find later that we had been charged for the room again on my card.

On email to the hostel I was told we did a "no show" and they were "the rules". Hostel bookers contacted them twice by phone including giving them my door code however they refused to admit it insisting that the door code was not theirs. I even recieved a particular email from them saying "give us a bad review, we don't care. We have plenty of good ones!"

Luckily later we found we had taken photos inside and and from the balcony clearly showing us staying in the room of that hostel (see photos). Even so, after Hostel Bookers caught them out and they said they would refund the money they did not and did not reply to my emails.

Thank goodness my bank saw common sense after seeing the email thread and the supporting evidence and refunded the money charged to my card and lodged an investigation to retrieve their money from the hostel's bank.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank Nath_London
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Ok, I will break this up into PROS and CONS.

Here are the pros:
-The people who run the hotel are extremely helpful
-5 minute walk from the train station (very convenient!)
-Easy walk almost anywhere in central Nice
-They offer free wireless and you can borrow laptop for 1 hr at a time
-Fridge and microwave in the room
-They will lend you cutlery, plates, cups, beach towels etc.....
-Central air conditioning (Dont go without AC in August!)

Now for the cons:
-The room had furniture that looked like it came from Garage sales and I thought the armoir was going to tip over in the middle of the night
-If you stay in a private room without WC, the communal shower was absolutely disgusting. There was a terrible moldy smell which was pretty nasty. The bathrooms also could have been cleaned a little more often.

OVERALL = This is most definitely a hostel. Nice is extremely expensive, and the 54 euros/night we spent was an absolute steal, so we were able to get over the fact that the facilities were not the cleanest..... Just do not book here expecting a hotel, since this is most definitely a hostel. If you go with the right expectations, you will be satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boomboompowww
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I have stayed in a lot of hotels / hostels around Europe and this has to be the most badly run hostel I have ever encountered.

Why am I angry with the Hotel Pastarol in Nice?

Well, when I turned up I was told by the person running the place that he'd let my room go. Why? Well apparently, if you book by debit card, you have to ring up on the day of arrival to confirm what your time of arrival. I found this laughable considering when I booked my room I was asked to give my arrival time, which I did. Further, what really irritated me more than anything was that I had paid a deposit on the room. Standard practise, of course, is that if you put a deposit down for a hotel room - or give the hotel your card details - you reserve a room and should get it. This practise, which appears to be used by every place I have stayed at around Europe, appears to be non-existent at this establishment. I even told the person at the reception desk that I'd put down a deposit on the room and presented evidence to show this. His reponse? He only cared about this debit card clause. I didn't even get my deposit back.

Whilst I accept some responsibility in what happened, just what is the point in sending out conflicting details about a hotel booking? What is the point in asking someone to phone up and give their arrival time when they've already communicated this, as requested, to the hotel in the booking? What is the point in taking a deposit and then failing to provide what was booked / asked for etc?

Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Rob001England
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Hotel Pastoral is in a great location. It is very near the train station, but also near the beach. It is also right off one of the main streets, Rue Jean Medecin, so there are plenty of places to eat and shop right there. We shared an 8-bed dorm with four other people. Our rooms were equipped with air conditioning, sink area, refrigerator, microwave, and a shower. There were two other bathrooms and one shower down the hall. All were very clean. The receptionist was very helpful (spoke english). Gave us a city map and directions to several different places we asked about. We had a great stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends