“The owner is very helpful and friendly! Awesome rooftop terrace!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Pastoral

Hotel Pastoral
Ranked #31 of 52 Specialty Lodging in Nice
“The owner is very helpful and friendly! Awesome rooftop terrace!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

This hostel is very close to the train station! It's about a ten minute walk to the beach but it's just off the main road.
There is wifi but sometimes it didn't work an there are two laptops you can borrow from reception which is good but you can only have them an hour at a time!
Beds were ok, the rooms are quite large and it's a very secure building!

• Stayed June 2011

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

My friend and me wanted to catch the Grand Prix in Monaco. We stayed at Hostel Pastoral, yes it's a Hostel and not a Hotel. It's a family run hostel managed by Frederic and his wife. They were really friendly and Frederic also gave us tips on catching the best view of the race the next day. The first impression of the hostel is a shady one, but as the day went by we thought otherwise. Free internet all day round. Frederic would provide you with a laptop for free to use the internet if you didn't have one. Beach towels and mats for free too if one would like to go the beach. Rooms were alright, though the bathroom was slightly inconvenient. Mingled with other travelers as well around the small al fresco seating on the roof. It's close to the station, decent sleep and advice for free!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

I have stayed in many hostels previously but I must say that Hotel Pastoral impresses me much. Firstly, it is less than a 5 minutes walk away from the train station. Most of the hostel staff speak decent english so I didn't much to use my broken French to communicate with them. The wifi was good, and the most impressive part of all was the room. I stayed at a 5 bed dorm and the room was clean and the toilet was nicely furnished. thumbs up!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank crudestar
Espoo, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2010

If you are looking for the 2* hotel, you probably make a bad choice. However, the hostel's facilities are more or less OK. I was staying there 9 nights in the 3 bed dorm room. The bath facility inside the room was awful, but functioning. It was summer time, so, the noisy nights is a usual thing there. I guess it's not only hotel problem, but season itself. Thus, I used the room when I was tired and I didn't care about noise or others in the room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

I think we all look at the bad things and before I stayed I was concerned what I'd let myself in for having read the reviews.
However I was really pleased so much so I thought I'd write a review which I can never usually be bothered to do. I paid for a single room with shared facilities and got a double bed and my own wc, sink and shower at no extra cost. Everyone always mentions overcharging so I thought I'd mention that - all included in price. Also free Wifi, use of kitchen, fridge and microwave in room. I was tired and it was so easy to warm something up in the room. Guy on reception really friendly (didn't get his name) Great location close to Nice Ville station. So all in all very happy and thank you. Would go back. Nick London GB.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank nsaul123
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

As some others have put it this was a Hostel not a Hotel, and it was an average hostel at best. Sure it was close to the train station, but thats about as good as it got. The area seemed a bit seedy and at night we were weary of heading out.

I was disgusted by the bed, it just didnt seem clean. In fact both my missus and I slept without any covers on and used as bag as a pillow.

Im not sure if this is the norm but its the only time I saw it throughout Europe and that was a blender in the toilet. Each time you flush the blender turns on and slices and dices your number 2's. You dont see it but it put me off.

The shower made me feel like I was dirtier coming out of it, but to be honest it wasnt the worst I have used.

Now we didnt get robbed but you know when you stay in a place and sleep with one eye open, this was one of them, it just didnt feel secure.

The best entertainment we had was when a water main burst in the street outside the 'hotel' and shot water 20 metres into the air. Our window had prime viewing. Yep that was the best part.

Overall I would not stay here again, I like things to be a bit cleaner and with a safer feel. Sorry tothe staff for this bad review as they were ok.

The staff did seem helpful but they didnt go overboard.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank A W

Travelers are raving about these Nice hotels

France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

I'm trying to get my money back that I was charged on my credit card the day after we checked out. We left the room undamaged, took nothing, and it was even left tidy. We were charged 36euros for no reason, and I'm trying to get it refunded.

Apart from that, the hostel room had a comfortable bed, fridge and microwave, own shower (no toilet) in the double room. It's close to the train station, but a little far from the old Nice town.

No common room, kitchen or computer area, however, the guy at the desk lent us his little netbook for a little while to check something online.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple