Hotel Carlone
$289
$265
$218
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed here because it was inexpensive, but quickly regretted not spending a little more or at least picking a different budget hotel. Sleeping on the rocks on the beach would have been more comfortable than the mattress, every spring of which I could feel jutting into me. The bathroom smelled bad and never looked clean. I thought the shower would collapse around me every time I used it. The television was mounted in a ceiling corner behind the window, so you couldn't watch TV and have the window open at the same (if the TV even worked; I don't watch TV so I didn't try).

We could have gotten past all of that - even the sleepless nights and recurring back pain from the mattress - had the service not ranged from neglectful to offensive. They claim to have internet, but their wireless does not work with most devices, nor does it reach into the rooms for those it does (you'll have to sit in the reception area to get a signal), and they refused our friendly advice on how to fix it. A hotel employee entered our friend's room while it was occupied and ripped the comforter off the bed WHILE MY FRIEND WAS SLEEPING UNDER IT, flinging electronics to the floor in the process. My husband and I later found our comforter had been removed as well while we were gone, with no explanation. We were left with a single cotton sheet. When we confronted them about the missing comforter, the manager suddenly forgot how to speak English, which he'd had no problems with upon our arrival when asking us to pay. Then later he mocked us for not speaking "proper" English, presumably because we're American and only British English is "proper". He also once entered our room and turned the lights out while we were in it.

We strove to spend as little time as possible in our room and carried our valuables with us whenever we left because we didn't trust the security of the place at all.

There is also a daycare right next door; the playground backs to the hotel's courtyard and the children are set loose outside at 9 a.m. sharp every morning and allowed to roam free for 2 hours before being herded back inside. If you like to sleep past 9 a.m., be prepared to awake to the joyous sounds of screaming children.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Renae M
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Stayed for four nights in April 2012. Friendly landlord, rooms recently refurbished, although bathrooms dated, but plenty of hot water. A good breakfast for a reasonable price each morning. Great location! If your a budget traveller, it ticks all the boxes.

Room Tip: The balcony was good, and provided a spot to have a glass of wine.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2007

This is the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in, and as I travel aprox 5 to 7 times a year and Im 48 years old thats such achievement. We ended up here by accident ( long story) and as such has no choice . The place appears to be dirty, the rooms have damp stains , the bathroom was simply disgusting - see photos. I could write a book on this hotel, but just please take my word and avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank UKGuyBedfordshire
Reviewed July 21, 2006

Stayed for 5 nights on the top floor of Carlone (95 €). The room wasn't that small, and it had a veranda with an ocean view. Ok, the neighbourhood is not very nice, the cleaning is not the best, the beds are bad and the towels aren't the softest - but the owners were wonderful to us - even stored our luggage while we went out of town for a few days. And we had air conditioning - which French budget hotels don't normally have.

Stayed: July 2006
1  Thank Planespotters
A TripAdvisor Member
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed July 12, 2004

After returning from my holiday were I spent two days at Hotel Carlone I must say that this is the worst hotel room I have ever stayed in.

But there are after all a few things to say in this hotels favour; it is very cheap, but it should be...,
the owners were polite and nice to talk to, and there was a car parking.

But again, the rooms were dirty, the paint was falling from both the walls and the ceiling,
And the room was so small that you had to put your suitcase on the (very small, and low)bed to open it.
If I ever go back to Nice, I will certainly pay more to get a better hotel.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member