“Good Location - Average Hotel - Overpriced”

Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee
Ranked #3 of 204 Hotels in Nice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Good Location - Average Hotel - Overpriced”
Reviewed September 25, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of a week on the Cote D'Azur. I booked this on the advice that it was a combination of luxury hotel meets tourist...lets get this straight. For anyone who has stayed in a true luxury hotel, this would certainly be classed as a tourist hotel.

Based on this I would recommend that you book a lower priced tourist hotel (maybe Le Meridian or even Mercure) that has equal good location on Promenade with better value rates. For the same price as a 'City View' (see below) you could probably get waterfront.

Just of couple of comments:
- Good location on Promenade.
- Breakfast is very average.
- Swimming pool is terribly small for the size of the hotel and it was rather like being in a cheap hotel in spain trying to fight for a sunlounger.
- The bar is very small and unappealling indoors/Bar outdoor area looking over ocean is very nice.
- Room with 'City View' looked straight across a concrete flagged internal area directly into other rooms and adjoining private apartments.
- Shouldn't really be on the 'Leading Hotels' list.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Frankie_Sydney
pdlmGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Dear Frankie Sydney

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Palais de la Mediterranee. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Palais de la Mediterranee, one of The Leading Hotels of the World, owned by COncorde Hotels & Resorts group, we continuously strive to to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Byt he way we would like to come back on few point that we juge unfair.

* Breakfast ; with more than 40 references / items, all freshly done from the morning, we don't understand what is average ? We respect international standards and try to go further respecting some rules like optimising local purchase (CSR policy).
* Our pool is indoor and outdoor heated all year long with 20m in its largest diagonal. It is from far the largest on the promenade des Anglais, May I remind that we are a city resort ?
* Our indoor bar is very cosy during winter period with warm colors, confortable sofas and live piano, creating a very nice ambiance. Would you prefer a 100 seats area ?. I admit that it is not very large but this is the first time that we receive comlain on it.
* COnerning your room view, it is true that there are some private appartements on the back side of the hotels (again : we are in the city !) but even on the lowest 4th floor, you can apprciate mountains upper the roofs...
I have to admit that with a sea view, there is no neighboor facing your window accept the fish.

Hotel Palais de la Mediterranee, Nice
direction-pdlm@concorde-hotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I never fill these reviews out, but this time I will:

I decided to head to Nice for a spontaneous solo getaway from NYC for 5 nights. Booked through Orbitz two days before my trip - a Delta/hotel package. I picked the hotel based on location and positive online reviews. I was very satisfied with my selection.

At 9:15am, Gregory at the front desk did everything to accommodate my early arrival. I was able to check in as soon as a room opened up and start my vacation. The concierge staff, particularly Bryce and Elinor, were wonderful throughout my entire stay. When you are traveling alone to another country, it is quite comforting to have a staff that is this helpful, friendly and welcoming.

The hotel smells wonderful. My room was clean, quiet and had a nice oceanview with a balcony. The bed was very comfortable and the mattress looked new (I check the mattress the second I arrive for bedbugs - none here). I did wish there were some drawers to put way my clothes, but the hotel offers a large armoir instead with shelves.

The hotel sent me a little welcome gift of colorful macaroons and gourmet juices. What I didn't realize, perhaps because I didn't do any planning before I arrived (and Orbitz didn't mention it) is that the hotel offers a huge breakfast buffet every morning by the pool. So, for the first couple of days, I went around the corner to the bakery and market for breakfast and grabbed breakfast like a local, which was fun actually.

The location of this hotel can't be beat. Ten minute walk to the train or bus stations. You're a block from the main shopping and dining districts, and close to the famous flower market. I used the public beach right across the street and swam some laps in the hotel pool. SInce this was a September vacation, finding a spot on the beach wasn't an issue. With just 5 nights in my itinerary, this wasn't going to be a beach vacation anyway. I wanted to see the sights. Had I desired to lay by the beach for 5 days and vegetate, I would have picked a resort right on the beach in a more secluded area with a beach that has sand.

Bottom line: I felt very comfortable and safe at this hotel and in Nice. I regularly stay at Ritz-Carltons and Four Seasons resorts and would say that this hotel is one notch below them, simply based on the design of the hotel and the amenities. Service was top notch, however. Traveling to Cannes, Monaco, Eze and Mougins from this location was very easy and affordable - 6 Euros roundtrip to Monaco, $12 Euros roundtrip to Cannes. Buses are only 1 Euro.

I highly recommend this hotel if you are travelling solo. I walked up to the Hotel Negresco and didn't feel the same friendly environment that I felt here and this location was a bit better.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank liznyny2010
missouri
Reviewed September 17, 2010

recently remodeled, very nice, phenomenal location right on beach/promenade and close to all major shopping and dining districts. concierge service very friendly and helpful.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
pdlmGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Dear Sir, Dear Madam

We would like to thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to serving you soon to the Palais !

Sincerly Yours

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I've never submitted a review before to Trip Advisor, but when a hotel stay is this perfect, you feel compelled to do so.

I'm at the end of a 3-day stay here at the "Palais" and it has been the absolute best beginning to a one-week stay on the French Riviera (on to Cannes next and then to Monaco).

The room, the staff - superb. Everyone - so professional, kind and gracious. The facilities where just right. Nice fitness room, beautiful pool area (great alternative to the rocky beach - although the coastline and the Promenade des Anglais is just like a picture postcard). What a lovely city too. The charm of Paris but smaller, more intimate with everything you expect from a Provencal atmosphere with the Mediterranean at your doorstep.

I will definitely be back this time next year and it will be the Palais for me.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
pdlmGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Nice Palais de la Mediterranee, responded to this review, September 17, 2010
Dear Charmed Travellers, Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratefullness for such encouragements. We will immediatly share it with the entire staff !

Sincerly yours

NJ
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Horrible reception. In restaurant they are including in the bill the food , that you never ordred. It's definitly not 5 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank avgnj
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feed back, I would be more than happy to investigate on what you encountered, therefore I would be gratefull if you accept, through direct email, to give me your identity and dates of stay.

Be ensured that we are not used to deliver a bad service, especially not add on bills what our guest did not ordered.
By the way, you may read on tripadvisor that we never received such comments, for which I fill very concerned ! Looking forward to having your reply, I would like you to accept our most sincere apologies.

direction-pdlm@concorde-hotels.com
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My partner and I stayed 6 nights in a Superior Sea View Room. The room was excellent. Great location within the hotel. Spacious and well appointed. Nice balcony with comfortable furnature over looking the ocean and the hotel pool. The fixtures and linen within the room were 1st rate and the airconditioning was quiet and efficient and actually worked as it should.

The staff were great, from the house keepers to the front doorman, everyone was courteous, friendly and efficient. Makes a very welocme change for French Hotels....!

The location of the hotel is perfect. Directly across the road from the "not so sandy beach" but that is not the hotels fault.... and only a short stroll in either direction from dozens of restaurants.

The hotel facilities are excellent too. Nice pool and gym. The sauna was clean, well lit (not too bright, not too dull) with plenty of towels available at both the pool and sauna areas.

We give this hotel 10/10 and will definately be back next year.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights, with our grown daughters, so two rooms. The location is perfect, Nice has lots to do, shopping, museums, Casinos, water sports, wonderful restaurants and is located within easy distance of many must-see towns. The hotel is beautiful and the staff were great. Room service took about 5 minutes, we felt very well taken care of. We had a problem with plumbing in one room that was difficult to resolve, so the hotel manager upgraded us to a luxury suite. This kind of response really made the trip wonderful! We usually stay at 5 star hotels and Le Palais did not disappoint. Lots to do right out the front door including beach, para-sailing, promenade, casino in the hotel. I cannot say enough about the hotel staff, uniformly wonderful! We will definitely return to this hotel!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Gretel8
Dear Madam

We are glad to read your comments and would like sincerly to thank you for it
We look forward to welcoming you soon ont he Cote d'Azur !

Sincerly yours