“One of the best hostels in Europe”

Villa Saint Exupery Gardens Hostel
Ranked #10 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Nice
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We had heard great things about this place and so were excited to stay here.
We stayed in about 15 cities and about 25 hostels and this is in the top 3 for sure. The staff are great and helpful, the place was clean and the food was FANTASTIC. I mean seriously fantastic, you are crazy not to get the dinners there. Amazing value. The free breakfast was great and the use of the kitchen is awesome too if you want to do your own cooking. At night, the bar area is a lot of fun. 2 euro beer was a nice touch. The only negative is that the hostel is not really near anything, but the free shuttle was an awesome bonus and got us where we needed to go. Definitely hit up Villefranche beach while here. Enjoy your stay here! We love and miss it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank rach_cain

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hostel is just so great! It is located in a beautiful, unique spot up a large hill in Nice. Although it is a small way from downtown Nice it is not difficult to get there. There is provided frequent transport from the hostel to the tram spot nearby so you can travel downtown. If you prefer you can book into the other Saint Exupery (beach) hostel downtown if you want to be more central. The grounds of this hostel are lovely. The room was clean. The common area is equip with computers and internet. My friend and I had tons of fun and met lots of travelers at the hostel bar at night. I would love to stay here again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2012

You can call the hostel from the tram/bus stop and they come to collect you which is great.
Check is at 3 so be mindful of that. I had a private room which was extremely modern and clean, looked like it had been renovated recently.
Location is in the hills but the free shuttle bus made up for this - it was nice and quiet though.
Staff were extremely helpful and friendly (shout out to richard from syd). Their travel advice was exceptional, the activities organised by the hostel were also very good. Met some great people in the dining room. The food was great but service was very slow and the sometimes ran out of food. Access to the beach hostel after booking the gardens was also a nice touch.

Highly recommend!!!

Reviewed October 31, 2012

I just finished a very nice experience staying at this hostel. While I was on the older end of the age range there, there was a mix of all ages and the younger people were very nice and friendly. I stayed in a 16 room female dorm. I found for the most part that the other women who stayed in there made a good effort to be quiet. The hostel was clean (bathrooms, rooms, kitchen, common area). The inclusion of breakfast was great and the wi-fi/computer availability was great too.

I agree with some of the other posts that the staff is over and above nice and helpful with the exception of 1 girl who wasn't rude but was just very disinterested. The blond English girl couldn't have been any nicer and all of the guys from the front desk staff to the drivers were all very courteous. A highlight was certainly the free walking tour (where we were specifically directed that tips are NOT accepted) done by James. He was friendly, fun, inclusive and tailored his tour to the group he was hosting.

I did run by the hostel location closer into town (the Beach location). I think if I had to do it again I may have tried to stay at this location. While the other one was absolutely fine, you did have to take an (appx) 15 minute tram and then wait for the hotel shuttle to take you the rest of the way. With that said, the shuttle service provided by the hotel was amazing. They run it (I believe) from 8-12 and 5-10pm. I never had to wait more than 5 minutes or so. The beach location is right in the middle of everything and it had a nice bar/cafe area although I did not eat there.

Overall a very nice experience.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the 14 bed dorm room but it was fine. If you have a choice for beds, try an...
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hostel is a little out of town but very easy to access with public transport and the shuttle bus. The staff are very helpful. We had a private room with bathroom, it was quite small but the common area is very easy to relax in. Free internet and breakfast and there are nice gardens and outside areas to sit in. You can buy dinner at the bar, it is really really good value for money and yummy. Would stay here again

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view, I think they might be the shared one but maybe ask when booking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The location is a bit out of town, but it's not too far to get in and the hostel itself is very pretty with nice gardens to sit in and lots of common area space.

The guys that work here are all really helpful and friendly but the girls are not. All of the females I dealt with were grumpy, rude and it seems far too much trouble for them to even smile, let alone provide any kind of customer service or be welcoming.

The shuttle does not run between 12-5pm in the day, so if you want to leave or return in this time you have to walk to the tram, which is only 10-15 minutes but uphill on the return which can get very hot. I am glad I did not stay in the summer as it was stifling hot and I barely slept during my stay. The air-conditioning did not work.

The rooms do not have lockers. You can leave valuables at reception, but this can get annoying if you're just wanting to pop out for a minute or if you want to access your things when reception is closed.

The shower had mould and flooded the bathroom every time it was used.

The hostel serves food, and to its credit they do a different special every night which was delicious and great value. However, you'll be lucky to get any food. I tried every night to order a pizza but the kitchen was never ready to make them. Despite the kitchen opening at 7pm, often food would not be ready until 8pm or 9pm. One night the kitchen was closed to serve a group. Many people I spoke to regularly waited over an hour for a pizza, and this is with maybe half a dozen people in total ordering food at any one time. I understand it's great that they even offer this service at all, as it's a great cheap eat, but the hostel is so far away from town that if you go back expecting food and then can't get any, you're screwed and have to go back into town. The chef is not interested at all.

The atmosphere is good in the common area though and it is a good place to meet people. Other pluses are that the internet is fast and seems to work everywhere in the hostel, and the hostel does offer lots of activities.

2  Thank koala_traveller
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This place was extremely out of the way, and the staff in reception was rude, my friend and I even tried to call another hostel for the night, but couldn't get in. So we thought we might as well utilise their bar and get drunk which ended up being a good night. The restaurant was very good and the drinks were reasonably priced. We stayed in a twin share private room which very small, but we were only there for a night so it didn't really matter. They had working wifi. This hostel had won quite a few awards, but I wasn't that impresses mainly because of the staffs attitude. If had a better location and friendlier staff I would have definitely given it a higher rating.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends