“Fantastic location”
Review of Hotel Paradis

Hotel Paradis
Ranked #156 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed October 24, 2007

I stayed here last month and was not sure what to expect as reviews I had read went from good to horrendous. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. My room was overlooking the street but with good sound proofing, when the windows were closed that was no bother. I was told that I had been given one of their larger rooms and while it was perfectly fine in size I would think that their smaller rooms must be small. Smack bang in the middle of town and only 10 mins gentle stroll form Old Nice, it's location cannot be better, especially for the price. I did not include breakfast in my stay as there are plenty of cafes that do a decent one. If you are looking for a perfect place from which to explore Nice and are not looking for luxury, give this place a try.

Stayed: September 2007

Reviewed July 8, 2007

I booked one night in the Hotel Paradis for my husband and myself for July 2007. I was not expecting luxury, at £64 a night how could I ??? What I did not expect was the filthy state of the room and the staircase. The carpets were covered in black stains, the ceiling in our room had a large damp patch which had been repaired but not painted. The cover on the bed was dirty and had black stains on it. The towels were past their use by date, almost threadbare and stained. The shower was covered in mould and the toilet had dirty stains on it. Needless to say we did not stay in the hotel as I could not sleep in such filth. We found another hotel quite close by and got a beautiful bright clean room for approximately 20 euros more than I had paid for the Paradis. The only thing the Paradie has going for it is its location, but we had a very comfortable room which was even closer to all the amenities of Nice. My advice to anyone looking for budget accommodation in Nice is shop around, no one has to stay in dirty accommodation just to save money. For those reading this who think I was expecting too much, believe me I wasn't! Neither was I expecting to see such dirty facilities being sold to unsuspecting tourists.

Stayed: July 2007
4  Thank PrincessIreland
Reviewed June 14, 2007

Sorry to say that I agree with all of the poor reviews below. For once I didn't read any reviews of this place before I booked and I lived to regret it.

The Paradis is more like an overpriced yet decidedely average backpacker Hostel.

As its only a 2 star hotel I had modest expectations but it even failed to meet those.

We arrived at 3pm and had to check ourselves in as there are no reception staff on duty between 11am and 5pm. Even when staying in backpacker hostels I've always been checked in by a receptionist.

The room was small, dark and grubby. There were stains on the floor and on the bed covers. The furniture was badly scratched and damaged.

The showerhead was broken and I had to have a handheld shower.

We had paid for 4 nights up front using an online site. We decided to leave after one night and even though we weren't sure we would get our £220 back we were willing to forfeit it in order to stay in a suitable hotel.

I found a much better hotel just round the corner from the Paradis, for an equivalent price.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elbow123
Reviewed May 9, 2007

Since my last visit, i must say the standard has detreriorated somewhat, due to our normal hotel being full we plumped for a re visit to Paradis, our room was a twin, but had 3 beds and a camp bed crammed in, the reception seemed to think that was a bonus which puzzled us, there was no floor space and couldn't open the fridge and had to climb over a bed to get to the shower.
The room was in urgent need of decoration,
The staff were helpful and the position for all the bars, shops, beach etc is great.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2006

We booked the hotel via EasyHotels, we wanted a base for sightseeing and that is what we got. The rooms were not excellent but they did the job. Shower was superb. Breakfast served in room on tray was good. Kettle and fridge in room, TV french channels only. Reception well staffed, we dealt with Nickolas who was superb and very friendly. You only have to read the visitors book to see that all who stay appear to have been happy. Definitely not luxury but I would definitely use it again, oh yes and the airport bus No.98 stops 50mtrs from the door.

Stayed: November 2006
1  Thank Belsenthebiker
Reviewed October 28, 2006

Booked over internet. Due to late flight we arrived after reception closed at 8pm but managed to use codes to get room key. Room meant to be a triple but was obviously a double with three beds in it. Very little room between beds. Bed covers were grubby and desk broken. No air conditioning so had to sleep with windows open so very noisy and the mossies had a field day. Bathroom small but clean but shower went from hot to cold very suddenly.
Booked in for four nights but left after one, to an excellent hotel nearby for not a lot more. Obviously we were too old to appreciate this hotels character!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2006

I stayed at this dump in August 2006 and paid about $120 a night with the conversion rate. Although it was close to the beach (tell me how many hotels are not in Nice, where the beach is several miles long??!!) it was a total dump for Cote de Azur and would had 1/2 star rating anywhere. It did not make me happier when I met a lovely couple from Holland the following day for coffee at a local cafe, who told me they were staying in a 4-star hotel two blocks away for only 30 euros more a night than what I paid at this hostel dump.

The staff has no knowledge whatsoever of either buses, trains or any other commuter transportation even when they have worked there a few years and must had this question handed to them all the time. Any information they gave were actually wrong. And these peope LIVE in Nice... I had a cruise leaving the next day from another location and went through hours of headaches roaming from place to place trying to find how to get there through a direct bus or train. All information centers were closed this particular day and in Nice it is hard to get any information.

My room at the non-Paraside Hotel was on the 3rd floor. A tiny elevator that barely fits the luggage takes you up - and half the time it doesnt work because cleaning staff keeps forgetting to close the elevator door.

The room was not made at 2pm but the staff allowed me to leave my luggage until they would clean the room. It had 5 beds in it, one which was blocking the door, so I was surprised as I had booked a single room and had to pay extra for this. I was told that all beds would remain in the room. I then asked if at least the one blocking the door could be moved and was told "no". You literarly had to walk over it to even get into the room, which was stinking. A fridge that was resting on a broken hinge and a half-functioning fan with floor stand was the only "luxury". A safety case with coded locks for passport and money was not working at all. There was only one tiny handsoap provided with check-in and one towel.

There are so many hotels in Nice that are way better than this, that you have to be mad to book this one after reading the reviews.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo