“Very good hotel”

Goldstar Resort & Suites
Ranked #69 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed October 27, 2010

During my recent five night stay in Nice, I spent two nights in a three star hotel (probably more like a two star hotel) and then switched mid-week to the Goldstar. I was VERY happy with the switch. I booked the hotel room directly through their website and was please to find a "stay three nights and pay for two nights deal" in one of their consul suites. Upon arrival, I was told the consul suite was not available and was upgraded to the slightly larger ambassador suite. Great.

I found the front desk staff to be very helpful. The room was huge - 48 square meters and the marble floors were really nice. The room was extremely clean.

Two downsides. First, the television did not work for two of the three days. Not a really big deal since my goal wasn't to spend a lot of time in the room. However, for a four star hotel, this is something that should have been fixed much quicker. Second, to echo another recent review, the 20 euro continental breakfast is a joke. Don't even think about it. Take a left out of the hotel and walk a block or two to the beach and you'll find lots of small places that are just as good (or better) for a small fraction of the price.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Goldstar Resort & Suites

Reviewed October 22, 2010

We stayed here a couple of years ago and were very happy to return for 3 nights this October. We were not disappointed. Although there were a couple of small issues in our room (i.e. the bath tap didnt turn and the shower attachment on the wall was very loose) we mentioned it to reception and they were sorted very quickly. We found the bed very comfortable, the room very clean and there were plenty of fresh towels. Glad to see there is now a kettle in the kitchenette but very little in the way of china and glasses. We had the buffet style breakfast included in our rate and thought there was a good choice, hot food, cereals, breads, pastries, meats, cheese, fruit, yogurts etc (although the scrambled eggs were a bit strange).
Our main problem was that, in line with the rest of France, the air conditioning was turned off on 1st October. As we had a few very warm days it was a bit hot at night and ,although the hotel is in a nice residential area, Nice is too noisy to leave the windows open at night.!
The staff were very helpful and friendly.
The hotel has been well maintained and the roof top area improved with a canopy that can be pulled over on cooler nights .
All in all we had a great stay and will be back..
Nice is not a cheap destination and although we ate reasonably cheaply, and very well, in the local restaurants we found the price of alchohol ,especially beer, suprisingly high.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2010

The first morning after our arrival, we went to the restaurant for breakfast. Apart from the fact that it was very expensive (20 Eur / adult, 10 eur/ kid = 100 euros!!!) it was not in our taste for cultural reasons. We decided to go to breakfast at one of the nearby restaurants the next day.

The next day was my husbands 40th birthday and we had booked a car and driver that morning. As we were staying with your two children and my husbands parents we had two rooms. In the morning his parents came to our room to congratulate. Upon returning to their room, they could not open the door. I went to the front desk and got a new card, believing that the card had demagnetized. The new card did not work. I went down again and was told that there would be a maintenance worker coming by in five minutes. As five minutes passed I went back to the front desk and asked to be able to eat breakfast on the house to save time. We were on a schedule as the car would be arriving at ten. My mother in law was dressed in a sleeveless shirt, neither had no glasses (they are 70 years old) and they speak nothing other than Swedish.

The woman in the front desk agreed to my parents in law having breakfast after I had gotten fairly angry with her, but wanted my husband, kids and myself to go to town. That was not acceptable to me. I told her we were a group and intended to eat breakfast as such. She told me we had plenty of time. How did she know how much time we needed? I explained that my parents in law were improperly dressed, had no glasses and that we were a group. The receptionist was insistent that she had no authority and could not help us with something she didn’t see as a problem. I told her I was a guest in the hotel she stood in the front desk as a representative for and my problems were her problems.

When the maintenance guy showed up it was evident that the problem had been dead batteries in the door. I would advise them to change batteries in the door before guests are left standing outside the door early on a Saturday morning and start arguments with the woman in the front desk.

I expect certain things when I stay in a four star hotel and being accommodated is one of them.

I enjoyed my stay but thought that it was rather strange to stay in a hotel that had a kitchen and charged so much money for an inferior breakfast. It also struck me as strange that the fine for not leaving a clean kitchen upon checkout is 50 euros. Go figure!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank HelenaThor
Reviewed October 1, 2010

We were a bit worried given some of the mixed reviews we saw before booking, but were really happy once we got checked in. Staff couldn't have been nicer: really helpful no matter what the query was. The hotel facilities were good: upper sundeck & pool area was lovely, restaurant and breakfast were simple but good. Rooms were spacious & clean with a nice blend of hotel & apartment facilities. Only hiccup was that wi-fi acted up in the room, but there were 2 terminals available free of charge in the lobby. Hotel was located just 5 minutes from the Promenade de Anglais and only a few minutes walk to the main shopping areas. There were plenty of nice places to eat and drink within 10 minutes walk and the old town was only 15 mins away. Train and bus stations could be reached in 10 minutes also. Would stay there again and would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank mfrisby
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Enjoyed our stay at Goldstar. The rooftop pool area was great and relaxing. Staff were all very helpful and most spoke fluent English. The only complaint would be the hard bed and pillows. Not sure if that is a European standard or not, but I found it just too firm. Our junior sweet was quite nice. Another suggestion would be to upgrade the couch as it was not very comfortable to sit in.
Overall a great little hotel. Loved Nice

Reviewed September 17, 2010

My wife and I have just returned from a short break in Nice. We stayed at the excellent Goldstar Resort and Suites. The hotel offers large suites, with a roof-top pool. The buffet breakfast was very good and the staff both in the restaurant and front desk helpful and polite. Definately a good find although perhaps a little expensive.
The location is good just along a couple of steeets behind the Negresco. There are lots of restaurants close by. I would recommend the Barracuda restaurant down from the Goldstar. It serves good food and was full of locals - always a good sign. Try it if you are in Nice.

Reviewed August 27, 2010

Stayed at the Goldstar for 5 nights in August. Each room is a suite with a small kitchenet, given us the option of preparing our own meals. No own, though. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room service menu is varied. The decor is a bit odd and in some places looks tired. The air con was not powerful enough for my liking but adequate. The location is perfect, two blocks from the beach front and 10 mins walk to the old town. The hotel has a roof top sun deck and dipping pool. Good if you want a break from the packed beaches but could do with a tidy up and more attentive service.
All in all good value and perfect location!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple