“Convenient Location, Good Price in Nice FR” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Oasis

Hotel Oasis
Ranked #81 of 204 Hotels in Nice
SF, CA USA
“Convenient Location, Good Price in Nice FR”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Some friends and I decided to attend the Monaco Formula 1 race at the end of May this year. Since I have been to the Cote d'Azur area on earlier visits and prior races, I was tasked to arrange our hotel, race tickets, etc. I expected hotel room availablity to be tight and expensive during the Grand Prix week/weekend.

About 2 months prior to our stay, I found 3 rooms for six adults at Hotel Oasis, and at a reasonable rate (approx US$1300/room for 5 night stay, Thu-Tue). Location is 2 blocks to the Nice train station, with easy access to Monaco (to the east) and Cannes (to the west). Also, airport bus #99 stops in front of the train station. We were also within walking distance to the English Promenade and Place Massena.

Hotel is set back from Rue Gounod, so street noise is not an issue. Parking is available at extra cost (convenient and safe for those doing European Delivery, or renting a car). Car is parked off-street and the driveway is gated at night. (11pm, I think) Late night guests are buzzed in by the front desk clerk.

Rooms are clean and minimal, but euro-sized, i.e. petite and cozy. We did not totally unpack our rollaboards, as closet space was minimal. TV is tiny with limited channels. WiFi is extra cost with good service. But this is the south of France, and you should be out and about anyway.

Light breakfast was included in our rate, with a good selection of hot/cold items, coffee, juices, etc. Weather was nice so we had breakfast alfresco in the courtyard. Only on our 5th morning did we have breakfast inside due to weather.

I would recommend this hotel to friends/relatives on a budget, want to be close to the train station, and be walking distance to the Promenade/beach, old town, and Place Massena. Those who want more than basic hotel services, or a deluxe stay experience will have to look further and pay more.

Room Tip: For a bit more charm, ask for a room that has a balcony overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed here in what was a busy time for Nice. We struggled to find a place to stay as we had left our run a little to late but the reviews for this hotel made it sound like what we needed. Not too expensive and in a good location. You really get what you pay for in life and this hotel kind of made that point to us. The room was very small (but we got the standard and I spied a larger room later, we should have paid more and had that). The fridge said it was only for mini bar items and not for our stuff (we like to save money and buy breakfast things- apparently this wasn't on) and they didn't want you eating in the rooms.

On our first night the air conditioner broke- it leaked water on the ground all night- it dripped so much it kept us awake and we had to put a towel on the floor. We didn't want to call the hotel desk as it was 3am in the morning and what could they do at this time. We told them in the morning and to their credit it was fixed on our return that day. The front counter staff were all nice and helpful,

This place is clean, a little dated, in a good location, helpful staff and with some rules. All in all a mixed bag and a flip of the coin on whether we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Check out your air conditioner. Don't wait till later on to turn it on and discover it's bro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dorellio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here with my husband during our brief trip in Nice. The rooms were sparse and the bathrooms were very small. The shower curtain did not come to floor nor prevent any water from escaping the shower stall and the bathroom needed to be mopped up after each shower. The shower curtain was dirty and so your movements were restricted so you wouldn't have to touch the dirty curtain. The location was far away from restaurants and attractions but they could be reached by walking or public transportation. My largest problem was watching a cockroach run across my room and hide near my suitcase. My husband killed it but I saw another, smaller one run across the pillows. There were signs by the elevator that said that "picnics" would not be permitted in the room and I had a strange feeling we would encounter a bug problem. This happened after we spent the day sight seeing and upon telling the desk clerk, the rsponse was that all of the rooms were full and nothing could be done. We inspected our bags for any roaches, packed then up and looked for a new place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Mc282003

Travelers are raving about these Nice hotels

Nice
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

pleasant small hotel with very friendly and helpfull receptionist. Adequate breakfasts but the lady in charge takes no prisoners ! Nice garden for breakfast and sitting out. Would certainly return. Handy for the station.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Ok so trust me I am really not the hardest person to please but this hotel was up there with one of the worst places i have ever stayed and i have stayed in my fair share of cheap grubby hostels over the years what with being a seasoned traveler.
After reading the reviews on trip advisor my partner and I booked this hotel the night before we checked in after a nightmare with another reservation.
So on arrival the lady at the desk was ok, not particularly welcoming but she was nice enough, the other lady behind the desk was too busy on her mobile phone to acknowledge our presence.
Our room was on the ground floor at the end of the corridor...on approaching our room you could immediately see that the door didn't fit the frame....about a 5cm gap at the bottom so they obvs had to refit that door in the past. (that is just me being picky and not really an issue other than it looked crappy)
Went in to the room to be greeted by a damp,dark oppressing room. Like i said i have stayed in many places from 5* hotels to dirty cheap hostels and living outside for a year sleeping in a open walled hut but this genuinely felt far worse than that hut...maybe because i was expecting to at least feel clean in a hotel?!
We asked for a double room but had two (uncomfortable) single beds clumsily pushed together, and instead of having a duvet we had sheets with a blanket and eiderdown/quilt ugly brown thing on top with a rank damp cushion to finish off the brown look.
I had to sleep in my clothes to make myself get to sleep as felt so dirty!
Behind the fridge there was a HUGE pile of sawdust which was so obvious i have no idea how the maid didn't see it to hover it up.
There were A4 tatty paper signs all over reception and the room informing what you are NOT allowed to do (eg have any food or drinks in the mini fridge other than drinks bought from the hotel themselves)
When having a shower the shower screen for some reason didn't realize what its job was. Now i understand completely that a little water could escape but seriously. There was a lake on the floor when you stepped out of the shower and so you would then spend 10mins mopping up after yourself. (with towels which already felt damp before you had even touched them!)
The morning i was packing (i hardly unpacked) a cockroach ran across the room...now again to be honest i can handle them, i am not a squeemish person but had my boyfriend seen it he would have probably had a heart attack but thankfully he survived because at that point he was flooding the bathroom trying to have a shower.
Now i cant comment on the breakfast as it was literally the last place i would have wanted to of eaten!
The staff were all ok. Not overly friendly and did answer the odd question.
The hotel itself is overpriced for what it is. There are far far nicer 3* hotels in Nice which we have previously stayed in.

I can safely say i will never return to hotel oasis. It was/Is a pit!

LOVE Nice HATE this hotel!

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mayzee86
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Initially we searched on trip advisor and the like for a good value hotel in a decent location in Nice - close to the main parts of NIce (Old Town, Promenade de Anglais) and near enough to the train station that it was easy to get out and about for day trips to Monaco, Cannes etc.

This hotel was in a really good location and not bad value for money. Our trip was spoilt somewhat by the paper thin doors, and the sound of the cleaners daily flip flop march up and down the corridors. Also, no hot water on the final day of our stay which is not ideal when you have to catch a train out.

We came back to Nice for one night to fly out and safe to say we didnt stay here and found a better value for money hotel in an equally good location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

My favourite in the area, the Darse in Villefranche, was fully booked and they wanted £100 for my usual reserve choice, the St Georges, which seems rather a lot for what they offer, so I decided to try somewhere new. Oasis is certainly an appropriate name as it is tucked away at the end of a private drive, so traffic noise, often a problem in Nice, is entirely absent.

The man on reception was very pleasant with none of the grimacing common in French hotels when I returned to say that, as usual, my room key card didn't work. He found a new one and accompanied me to ensure that it worked this time. The double room was six feet wide, not too much of a problem as I was alone but it really would be a squeeze for two people and the shower room was as small as I have ever seen but everything was fairly new and scrupulously clean.

In cheap hotels I ask only for a good night's sleep but the couple in the next room chatted until about 2.00am, the male having a very resonant voice which penetrated the apparently cardboard wall. I suspect that the long, narrow room was once part of a larger room that has been converted into two, not very professionally.

A bigger room and better sound insulation would make the Oasis, even with its zebra carpeting, value for money but as it is I don't think it is nearly such good value as the St Georges, even at £30 less per night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business