New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hi Hotel Eco Spa & Beach

Hi Hotel Eco Spa & Beach
Ranked #149 of 213 Hotels in Nice
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“brilliant- can't fault it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I have just returned from nice on friday and stayed at the hotel with my husband and 2 girls aged 3yrs and 1.5 yrs for 3 nights. I was very impressed with the hotel and our room which was an indoor terrace. It was very modern and contemporary (exactly how i like my hotel to be) and very clean, comfortable and central to all facilities. the staff were very helpful, at night they would provide me with warm milk free of charge and charged my husband's i-phone for him as we forgot the charger. we both really enjoyed the fact that the room was open plan apart from the toilet, as we were able to keep an eye on the children whilst having a shower. This was the first time in a very long time, i stayed in a 4 star hotel as usually we opt for 5 star and not once did i feel it could not have been a 5 star hotel. I really enjoyed the quirky facilities in the room - electric blinds, all light switchs were silver monochrome. the hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the pebble beach which you pay for and about 15 mins walk from the main centre with bars and restaurants. there were plenty of supermarkets, cafes, restaurants round the corner, leading upto the promenade de anglais. I wish we could have stayed longer and would return to the hotel. overall, we all thoroughly enjoyed our short break.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank vin42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Pros:
Different themed rooms.
Unique concept.
Loungey feel.
Splendid location.
Friendly staff.
Discounted access to "private" beach.
Free internet.

Cons:
Rooms are not large and not suitable for all groups (definitely not recommended for families).
Rooms are very eclectic and may not suit a broad range of people.
Basic amenities are compromised to blend in with a theme or design (form over function)
Expensive and limited food options within hotel (although there are several eateries nearby)
Difficult to guage the room type by seeing pictures online.

Bottomline: If you are feeling adventurous and young, then by all means this is a good option to consider. It is a few blocks away from the world famous Promenade de Anglais, Place Mediteranee and Old Town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abkumar
Fontvieille, Monaco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

THis hotel proudly boasts its 4 stars at every opportunity. THere is no way on earth that any reputable travel company would give this 4 stars - i am sure they made it up. Check in - after the excruciating sound of squeaky sliding doors that greets you, you get a long slow check in process where they want every last detail about you. The welcome drink is a plastic cup of water or apple juice. I said i wasn't sure how long i wanted to stay but that i would know in 24 hours and it would be a maximum of 7 nights. So they said well we'll book that and then you can let us know. Then they want to debit my card for half the total for the stay. I hate doing this and think it rude and unecessary but i let them. They took EUR 715. Each night was 299 but on some complicated 7 for 5 package if i stayed 7 nights. No luggage attendant, the check in girl helped me unload my car - i find it extremely embarassing when girls have to lug my bags - and it is only acceptable in a 2 star establishment.
The room was just atrocious. Shades of turquoise assault you. An ikea-like canvas hanging thing in lieu of a wardrobe and no drawers. Paper cups so that your toothbrush falls over. A toilet so small that you have to literally crawl around the door to get in. Low SMALL double bed that was uncomfortable to get in and out of. Light switches only on the bed head and impossible to see unless you were actually IN bed. THe design of the whole hotel is quite simply revolting. Bright garish colours that just look old and grubby. Zero practicality. No space for any toiletries, and the shower gel and shampoo had stickers saying DO NOT REMOVE. For those prices - seriously, let people steal the toiletries if thats what they want.
I ventured to the pool bar in the evening and there was a sign saying 'go to the vending machines' - classy. The vending machines stock champagne and offer you paper cups to drink it out of. The pool is more of a large tub. Downstairs i tried to find the restaurant but ended up in the kitchen. I gave up. The next day i was informed that what i thought was the kitchen (it looked like an airplane kitchen) was in fact the breakfast self service area. With trays like in a company canteen. It was quite literally the most appalling breakfast set up i have ever seen. I decided to leave. In returning to my room to pack, i shared the tiny slow lift with the cleaner and her trolley for the 3rd time.
They told me that i was lucky that they weren't going to take the entire stay cost (7 nights) and that instead they would just keep the 3.5 nights 'deposit'. I explained that i never confirmed how long i was staying, and was happy to pay for the one night i spent there. They had also told me that the 'deposit' was in case i left without paying - not a non refundable fee. Apparently lots of their customers leave without paying - well now i know why. They literally begged me to stay and offered me a different and nicer room but who would want such a miserable customer to stay? The manager tried to tell me that had i tried the breakfast, the quality of his yoghurts and ham would make me want to stay. It could be the best produce in France, but i would still be serving myself using a tray from a disgusting kitchen sitting at a multicoloured plastic table. When i said his refusal to refund was illegal, he told me to go stay in an Ibis and then insulted my nationality (i am swiss). Nice.
I will sue them. I will also win.
I should have realised that a small boutique hotel with free rooms last minute in July is obviously a really bad hotel. I saw plenty of other guests looking pretty miserable too.
I have had some pretty bad service in my years of travelling the globe but this place should seriously be closed down. And yes - the beach is miles away and you have to pay extra for it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank penguinwebb

Travelers are raving about these Nice hotels

vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

When searching for a Nice hotel there were so many classic designed places that the Hi Hotel immediately jumped out to match my trendy/small/design hotel style. It met my expectation on uniqueness and size and exceptional staff -  oh the breakfast was by far my best hotel bfast bar to date. From arrival at just past midnight the checkin gentleman was ever so friendly and polite to make sure I felt at home and was looked after, to the next day a member of staff walked with me two blocks to help arrange my bicycle rental when I had problems.

I highly recommend booking the Hi Beach, again staff amazing as well as beach and mojitos - rooftop pool small but does a superb job for a cooling  sunset dip!

The area of the hotel is a touch off the side of the city, make sure to be prepared to walk and also bring plenty of euros for taxi's. Going for a day to St Tropez via boat was definitely a highlight of my experience. They can help arrange this for you.

All in all, a wonderful experience.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

The location is poor unless you are coming to stay in the hotel and only get spa treatments. The beach is 5 blocks away. Not convenient to local transportation. The room made me smile for the first 5 minutes, then I realized half furnished as past of the 'design'. Aren't you trying to make something better when you design something? They failed here. On the positive side the staff was friendly and courteous.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank trav3lguyus
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This hotel is classified as a design hotel and it certainly has some interesting rooms. I have to say our room wasn't exactly the most relaxing or practical. The outside space and breakfast area was lovely as was the food for breakfast. Service was excellent and very friendly. The location is pretty good, they have a very nice private beach section which is worth using.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank drjohn01
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Reasonable location, quite near to beach and central area. More emphasis on appearance and novelty than on comfort and practicality. Studio room has an open bath in the middle of the room that guarantees water gets splashed everywhere when showering. Toilet - also in the room - has glass doors and walls so no marks for privacy. Impractical 'arty' wash basin that's only a couple of inches deep. A lot of money for a lot of inconvenience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business