I'm in my final night (of 4) of staying here at Chez Patrick's. I have nothing but praise for the place:
- Good location: 5 minutes from the train station, located just off the main road with shops, public transport, restaurants and everything nearby. Walking distance to the main sites (beach, old Nice, museums, parks, etc). Safe place. Make sure you print out instructions to find the place though as it is upstairs/kind of hidden. It's directly above the Pink lady hostel.
- Cheap: I paid 18e/night all-inclusive (low season). Also a 20e key deposit which is refundable when you leave. Must pay in cash/traveller's cheque.
- Clean: Not a spot anywhere. I stayed in a 4-bed (2 bunks) room with clean floors and a balcony overlooking the road and a clean sink in the room. Actually I was the only one there so I had the whole room to myself. There are separate toilets (one for each sex) and shower (communal) which are kept in pristeen condition. You just have to bring/buy your own soap/shampoo. Also no towels provided (fair enough).
- NIce(:P) hosts: Patrick and his (?)wife were very friendly and spoke fluent English. HIs wife took the time to give me a map and explain aspects of the city to me when I arrived. Respected privacy always. They live upstairs so actually it's like you have the place to yourself most of the time.
- Free Wifi: relatively high speed, unlimited download. Good connectivity, never had a problem, and I was on the internet a lot.
- Warm: good central building heating system. Provided warm blanket, clean sheets, pillows. Walked around with only t-shirt and shorts during middle of winter.
- Bad points: No lockers, although they said they can keep laptops etc for safekeeping. There are 2 small safe available in each room. Of course though you can lock your door and window. Another thing is that if you are very tall (say >1.9m you may have difficulty fitting on the bunk beds which have metal on either sides, so you won't be able to sleep flat/straight). Lock-out is officially from 11-2 (for cleaning) but I didn't notice it during the times I was here (encourages you to go out anyways).
All-up definitely recommend this place for the economical traveller. It's a quiet cosy place in a busy district.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and HostelWorld so you can book your Backpacker's Chez Patrick Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.