Armenonville Hotel
$289
$265
$218
  • Pool
All reviewscharming family run hotelboulevard gambettarooms are spacioustrain stationcity breakold cityhotel is locatedflower marketmin walkpromenadebalconypetsloungingcannes
Reviewed April 8, 2012

A nice hotel, not too far from the beach, shops, and a few kilometers from the old quarter.
Nicely appointed, friendly staff, off street secure parking, a lovely outdoor breakfast garden... All good so far.

We had a large room but the bathroom was tiny. The shower cubical was about 70cm square and as you turned to wash you'd turn the flick tap off. The toilet was carefuly nestled inbetween the basin, and two walls and so close to the wall in front that it was near impossible to use.

The main stairwell was made of marble and the further up you went (we were on 2nd floor), the more it lent in. Kind of felt like it was going to collapse.
Generally a nice hotel and room but unfortunately our bathroom in particular (can't speak for the rest) was so poorly planned that we wouldn't recommend or return.

Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Brad C
Reviewed March 22, 2012

The Armenonville has some pluses: a quiet location in a residential area not too far from the Promenade des Anglais; gated parking and entries; lovely gardens. It is a bit hard to find because it is a house that is back behind a large apartment building at the rear, so be sure to go beyond the apartment building and follow the signs to the parking. The hotel is a bit shabby and worn so the website pictures, while literally accurate, are like photos where the lens is covered in vaseline to mask aging--they paint the place in a far more attractive, softened light. The rooms are spacious with plenty of outlets and enough light but worn carpets, coverlets and walls could use a good coat of paint to freshen things up. They are painting now so it is hoped they will get to all the rooms. No elevator so if you're on an upper floor you should note this. Shower adequate with a clingy curtain. Worst are the bath towels which are so dingy gray they look as if they'd spent a year or two in a boys' summer camp or dorm room. Surely they could be replaced. The overall impression is of an elderly aunt who has lived alone a bit too long.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CarolinaBecky
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Nice, France a wonderful city to visit. I go there for about 4 days every year. I fly from Las Vegas to Paris every year for a 22 day vacation. I’m retired so I have 22 days free. I take the TVG train from Gare Lyon to Nice. It’s about a 6 hour trip through beautiful countryside. You arrive at Nice Ville train station on Avenue Thiers. Don’t be shocked at the area around the station , it is grubby but only right there. The station faces the sea, so just walk a few blocks and your in wonderful Nice. My suggestion is walk the 10 blocks and your at the sea. A wonderful sight. The Promenade des Anglais is the place to walk the length of Nice. BTY the weather is always perfect. Not like Paris. In May I would leave the cold and raining Paris and go down to Nice where it is always sunny and perfect.
Again I stayed at the Hotel Armenonville on avenue des Fleurs, a short walk from the train station (Le Gare). The hotel is and old very large house turned into a hotel. It is a bit back off the street and very quiet. And affordable too. The staff is so friendly and helpful. I love having breakfast each morning out in the garden. Wonderful. Trees, bushes, flowers, very nice. I stay here every year.
At the start of my day, I usually walk Promenade Anglais all the down and up the hill and past Le Chateau and down the hill to the port area where all the big boats are docked. Then back up the hill and over to Cours Saleya. Some days I eat here at one of the great café’s. There all great. Then up to Place Massena. A beautiful area. Fountains in the middle and surrounded by some very fashionable stores for shopping. I walk west , down Rue Massena which becomes Rue de France and back to Boulevard Gambetta and 4 blocks up to my hotel.
At night I walk back to Rue de France and down towards Messana again. Plenty of great cafés and restaurants to eat in. Sit outside and eat a pizza. BTY, I have lived in Las Vegas for 50 years and was born in New York and I’m telling you, the best pizza in the world is here. The Italian heritage and the French cooking. After a wonderful dinner I walk one block back to the sea and Promenade des Anglais and the wonderful walk, all the way back to Gambetta. I do this for 3 days, every time. I love Nice.

Room Tip: Your off the street, so it is quiet. I usuall get a single room. There's no air conditioning but the rooms have large windows and i open them up, Works great.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank WaltersLV
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I and my friends spent there only one night and it is a hotel for 1 or max.2 nights. Location is perfect and the free parking makes your life easier because it is very hard to find a free parking space on the street. So definitely advantages of this hotel are: location and secure parking spaces however the hotel needs to be renovated. Room does not look nice. We took a room for three people and we were glad that we did not have to spend a lot of time in the room. Do not expect any luxury. There are not tea/coffee facilities, no hairdryer. There are just beds and small bathroom with shower. It is clean and towels were fresh but the look of the room and the smell do not make it nice place to stay for more than two nights. Price is also not perfect for the quality they offer but as we all know Nice is expensive so it is very hard to find something nice with parking spaces( if you rent a car). I can totally recommend this hotel but only for 1-2 nights if you have a car. If you do not have a car, look for a better place.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Agusia01
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My friend and I stayed at this hotel last week. We spent a week in Nice for our vacation. The hotel is clean, the staff is very friendly and the breakfast is great. Location location location. It's only a few blocks from the beach and downtown but it's in a very quiet street so there is no noise from the clubs and restaurants. I slept super well and had a great time. Great choice for people traveling on a budget but that still want a nice comfortable place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends