“Not a great experience ...”

Best Western Hotel New York Nice
Ranked #28 of 204 Hotels in Nice
New York City, New York, USA
“Not a great experience ...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked this for 1 night during our longer holiday in the south of France, and this was by far the worst hotel we stayed at in this price range. The room was extremely small (we could not lay flat our large suitcase without having to climb over it), staff service was quite poor, and there were a lot of little things in the room that all aggregated into a bad experience - only 1 power plug reachable, external facing window had a netting that could not be shut so we had to keep the window shut all night, and no AC (which when it was 26 degrees all day was something that was sorely missed after a day outside). We have stayed at best westerns in a number of towns in Italy and France, and this was our worst experience. Also, for the price range, there are lots of other hotels that were in better locations. While this is equidistant to the train station and old town - neither is really a short walk and this area does not have much to see.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vikram O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

Stayed here for 9 nights at the beginning of March. Excellent location. Walking distance to train station and bus to
the airport. Just around the corner off Jean Medicin-one of the main boulevards and where the tram runs to get to the old section and the water (although both areas were in easy walking distance).
Lots of places to eat in the area and and, as previously mentioned, large Monoprix grocery store is right aross the street for snacks, drinks, baguettes and cheese etc.
Staff were excellent-friendly and helpful.
Rooms small but clean and comfortable.
Free WiFi too. Hotel has only a few parking spaces and street parking always full so would need to pay for parking garage if on a driving vacation.
Really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on the 6th April 2013 - Chose this hotel due to its fantastic location ... Virtually on Av. Malaussena (the main shopping street full of national and international stores), and a mere 15 minutes walk from Nice Ville train station.
It takes about another 15-20 minutes to walk to the Promenade Des Anglais and the old town (well worth a visit) is also the same distance (the same direction). A well stocked Monoprix (supermarket) is next to the hotel so a good place to pick up cheap snacks and drink.
The hotel itself is well furnished in the lobby and the front looks nice and grand.
The room I had (#208) was on the small side, but I think that the furniture was too big for the room which made it feel more cramped. The french windows opening out onto the Main Street helped open the room up. The bathroom was clean, modern and well designed. There was no fridge in the room, which was a slight disappointment but as I only stayed one night not too much of a problem.
The best thing about this hotel is the service .... I arrived at about 10am, a few hours before the 'official' check-in time. The lady behind the desk (I did not catch her name, but she was of Romanian origin - if the manager reads this then this young lady deserves recognition for her exceptional customer service) didn't make this an issue. She began calling housekeeping to see if a room was available for me - even asking if I'd like a twin or double - and made a real effort to make me feel welcome. So often in the last few years of travelling in Europe I've arrived at hotels only to be told that I'm too early for their ridiculously late check-in times (anything between 2pm-5pm) and that I'll have to come back.
What a refreshing change this hotel is! They actually make a real effort to get you checked in! There was a luggage store room available, so she could have told me to come back but thank goodness she didn't, what a nice change. Old fashioned customer service.
She also gave me the free WiFi code (without having to ask! .... and yes it also works in the room) and asked if I needed a map, directions, or any other assistance. Fantastic! The best check-in experience I've had in years.

Took a taxi to Nice Côte d'Azur airport the following morning (the concierge organised this) - it cost €29 which is pricey but if you want to get to the airport fast and easy then it's okay. On arrival I took a bus from the airport to the train station and walked from there. Remember to keep some coins for the city tax which is about €1 per person. I paid mine upon arrival to make check-out quicker.

Stay here if you want a great location for transport (train station, buses and trams are all within a few minutes) and for all the things to see in Nice. It is in the hub of the city so if you want quiet and tranquility then you may want to stay elsewhere. But if you want great service and an excellent location then book this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Horizonx30
Bandung, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

This little clean hotel is very center. There's a large groceries "Monoprix" right in front of the hotel. We bought mineral water, bread and apples for my travelling supplies there. We're arrived from Nice Cote D' Azure Airport. To get the hotel we ride bus no 99 from the airport and get off in front of Nice Ville train station. We're get a little lost because it's getting dark when we arrived and we can not read the map. Actually it is very easy to get to the hotel. We hope this will help you. Walk down the street until you find tram railway then turn right. Walk in the left side through the street until you look Best Western New York Hotel sign. My room was queen size bed. It's small but comfortable enough for us. The bathroom has bathtub with plenty hot and cold water supply. Wifi access's ok..it can be used for 3 phone cells we bought. Breakfast is good, served in a small breakfast room. The reception desk officer is very polite and helpful. We can hear tram bell from our room...it's really make us feel we're there. There's hotel luggage storage room to keep our storage before leaving Nice when we're waiting our train. So after check out we can still go out for lunch without taking our luggage. It's nice. I will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

just returned back from a 3nite break, and dont know what all the negatives are about.
very nice clean and centrally located hotel.
no kettle in room but when asked it appeared within an hour complete with tea bags.
rooms cleaned every day.
hot water as much as you need.
breakfast basic but enough of it, with choice aswell..
really dont know what people are complaining about. would differntly use again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank titch20
Warren, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I booked on the internet and was looking for a locaton close to city center. This is the place. Close to everything! Construction around the area makes it a noisy mid-day but all was much quieter in the evening. My room was nice. The two twin beds made into a larger bed. The bathrooms have recently beed remodeled. Good shower and tub too. No coffee service is available in the roms. Actually, not too many amenities in the rooms beyond the TV with 12 chanels (2 in english BBC & CNN) The WiFi worked well with decent speed. The beds were clean and the carpet in the room appears to be pretty new. The best part however was teh service from the desk clerk (Nela H.) She spoke fluent French and English as well. Was able to be very helpful for commuincation and directions. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Room 301 - 303 face alley. Rooms 304 - 314 face the street. Rooms 315-318 face alley.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adam G
Muscat
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I have read some reviews about this hotel prior to booking. It seems like the hotel rooms have been recently renovated. I was keeping my expectations low and hence i liked it better. The room was not very large however it was clean. The bathrooms had bath tubs. The floors are covered with carpets. The bedding was still the old style with blankets. This is something that i do not enjoy very much normally but it was ok. The heating system was not too quick. It had the fan that blew warm air a bit too slowly. I got a room that faced the main avenue with the tram. the Nice Etoile shopping center is just next door. Parking is a bit limited on the street especially day time. You can park at the shopping center covered pay park. Hotel stuff was very helpful. I did not eat at the hotel so not sure how it is. Overall I would suggest, very central. Traffic circulation is not very friendly to get to the hotel by car. Usual one way streets that keeps you looping around. This hotel is ideal for city visits on foot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family