“Elegant, Beautiful Setting for an Adventure in Dining”
Review of Les Deux Canailles

Les Deux Canailles
Ranked #110 of 1,964 Restaurants in Nice
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 27, 2014

I know I'm not the most critical of reviewers, but this French restaurant with a Japanese touch deserves more than the 5 stars available on Trip Advisor. The unique natures of the dishes served and the mixture of tastes and textures they offer, as well as the generous and delightful desserts, make Les Deux Canailles a must dining experience during your stay in Nice.

The atmosphere can only be described as elegant, and the service is patient and friendly. I'm not a big fan of form over substance, but at Les Deux Canailles, the presentation serves to enhance, not substitute or divert. Our prawns and mackerel appetizers were served in a manner that can only be described as beautiful. Our juicy veal and Spanish pork entrees were surrounded by a variety of vegetables that were freshly prepared and tasty.

And did I mention the seemingly endless parade of deserts? All modified to accommodate my spouse's dietary restrictions forbidding most dairy products, without a sound of protest from co-owner Laurent Inoue, who also serves as maitre d' and server.

My only admonition: When Laurent offers you the Japanese Whiskey--which, by the way is smooth and delicious--decline if your budget is tight. A glass of the 17-year-old Hibiki will run you E28. Of course, if cost is critical for you, you probably should not dine at Les Deux Canailles, where the prix fixe is E79 and a la carte items run about E35.

That having been said, all in all, Les Deux can only be described as an adventure in dining, traveling over a beautiful landscape, and money well spent. I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.

1  Thank syael1339

Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

This place is a hidden gem. It's slightly on the expensive side but the money is well worth it.

We ended up doing the 3 course menu. All the dishes were executed perfectly and what makes this place interesting is the small Asian/Japanese details that have been added to the French cuisine.

The service is typically Asian. Efficient and understated. Dishes and plates are brought in/taken away swiftly and quietly and the staff is very knowledgable when it comes to the wine pairing.

The three course meal for the two of us and a bottle of wine, a glass of white and two glasses of champagne ended up coating us $207. Well worth the visit and I'd happily visit again.

Thank you guys!

1  Thank David R
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Je suis habitué des restaurants réputés et décorés au Michelin.
Même si les deux Canailles ne sont pas étoilées, elles le mériteraient bien plus que certains.
Un sans faute du début à la fin, un grand BRAVO.

I'm fond of good restaurant and already ate in multiple ones recommended by the Guide Michelin.
Even if they are not "Starred" already, they deserve it more than several restaurants I tested.
Perfect from beginning to the end, I highly recommend this place !

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This restaurant came highly recommended and we decided to try it over some of our old favourites. Big mistake. First do not order the more expensive menu, all you receive is one very ordinary extra dish that you would probably in the end prefer to leave out and a poorer selection of entrees for a lot more in cost. Service is OK the restaurant is very nicely decorated. But what you want from this type of restaurant at this price and with this type of recommendation it received is knock your socks off great food. And unfortunately that is what you do not get. The preparation is uninspired and the taste is just so basic that I could go to any place in the old city and for a fraction of the cost get as good if not better. When we compare it to the other places in Nice that have enjoyed and left with a smile on our faces this restaurant is just disappointing.

4  Thank hbbTorontoOnrario
Reviewed May 14, 2014

This is simply one of the nicest restaurant experiences we have had.

The food was exceptional and the service was perfect. If you like your wine, this restaurant has invested in top quality wine glasses to go with a very good wine list.

A special occasion restaurant.

1  Thank Brizzietraveller65