“9 minutes at EUR 341 - this place will take advantage of you if they can”
Review of Hotel Azur Riviera

and 1 more site!
Hotel Azur Riviera
Ranked #192 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This hotel refused to cancel a booking made by mistake, when asked to do so ONLY 9 MINUTES after the booking was made.

The check in date was more than TWO WEEKS AWAY, and in one of the busiest weekends of Nice/the French riviera during the year.

I was going to Nice with my daughter for two specific night. As we were unsure if we would stay with friends or need a hotel, I looked after a hotel with free cancellation.

By my own fault, I managed to place a non-refundable booking with Azur Riviera, instead of a hotel with free cancellation that I also looked at. When I got the booking confirmation and saw the cancellation policy, I immediately phoned the booking site who immediately called hotel Azur Riviera. The log of the booking site confirms that they requested the hotel to delete the wrongful booking only 9 minutes after the booking was made.

I expected that even if I had in fact made a non-refundable booking, the hotel would agree to delete the booking at no cost. Why did I think so? They were notified immediately (IN 9 MINUTES) of my mistake and my wish to delete the wrongful booking. They could not have suffered any loss or inconvenience due to it. Any other choice appeared to be totally unreasonable, ungrounded, bad service in the extreme and flat out exploitation of my mistake.

What happened: The hotel chose to stand on their legal right to take my money. They held me to it.

At first they tried to put me off be saying that they COULD NOT allow free cancellation of the booking, that it was impossible. The hotel did not answer my questions as to what precisely stopped them from making a free choice in the matter, so I have to conclude that they were not honest when telling me that they could not choose to let me have the free cancellation. It was up to them.

They also tried to tell me that it was the booking site that stood in the way of free cancellation. Well, not right; the booking site immediately offered to waive their right to a provision and told me that it was up to the hotel to accept the cancellation or not. So again, up to Azur Riviera.

I repeatedly asked what specific losses or inconveniences my 9 minute booking had given them. They replied to my e-mails, but carefully avoided answering my actual questions. So, they gave no explanation for why they choose to stand on their legal rights. My conclusion have to be that they have no real grounds, nothing that can make their behavior understandable and reasonable. Nothing that can make their choice fair and take away the exploitative aspect.

I find their behavior shocking, greedy and ruthless. I find it impossible to see this as anything else but the ruthless exploitation of my mistake.

When I realized that hotel Azur Riviera was in fact going to behave in this ruthless way, I asked them to uphold my booking. As I would have to pay the full cost of the room also in case of cancellation, I did not want to give the hotel the opportunity to rent out the room to someone else and cash in even more from my mistake.

So did I go there? Of course not. I would not have felt safe there, after how they treated me. They had shown me what they really were, and it was impossible for me to trust them enough to sleep under their roof, give them my passport and expose myself to further claims from them by showing up there.

My advice to anyone considering to stay here is; be very careful, don't expect anything resembling fairness or consideration from this place.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Florabella12

Reviewed February 9, 2012

I loved my stay! The promenade des anglais is wonderful! The Hotel is located in the center and it was a great point to go everywhere walking. It was clean, the room was nice and the breakfast is good. The price was low for such a quality! The hotel should have been renovated when I arrive because everything seemed new.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Sacha J
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I have never seen such a worse hotel in my life! if there is lower quality of this place to sleep in street. we stayed around one week with my family , even one time housekeeping did nt come to our room despite we warned.... idiot reception ,terrible room, disgusting breakfast...at the end. do not make mistake..if necessary do not pass in front of hotel azur riviera.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank herzaim
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Do not stay in this hotel. Its filthy.
You sick to the carpet in the rooms its so dirty.
The bathroom is disgusting. When ou flush the toilet it leaks.
No hot water. No door on the shower. When you run the tap in the sink, the sink leaks all over the floor.
No A/C.
I'll save the best til last.
Bed bugs. We both woke up in the night with insects crawling all over us. And bites everywhere.
It was so bad we left at 5am.
A horrible experience.

Room Tip: Choose no room. Dont stay at this hotel unless you want to be eaten by bed bugs.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank DaithiJ
Reviewed September 6, 2011

do not stay here, its horrible. the whole hotel is crawling with bed bugs (that come out in the dark). i checked out of this hotel only hours after i had arrived, covered in large bites all over my body. i even caught some bugs to show the front desk. i was refused a refund that evening and told to return the next day to see the manager. the following morning i received an email from bookings.com informing me that the hotel had told them i was a no-show and 50 euros has now been charged to my credit card. i called bookings.com about this and they were horrified and my story and informed me that it had been the hotel that had charged me, so i had to take it up with the owner/manager. after a heated conversation with the owner/manager i managed to get the hotel fees refunded, but NOT the 50 euro he had taken from my card!
in short, i wouldn't recommend anyone to stay here. bed bugs are almost impossible to kill. they can live almost a year without feeding! not a souvenir any would want to take home, if you think there not that bad, then you should google them or check out the link and see for your self http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank kelliemc78
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This hotel is a little gem of a find. Service at the front desk is fantastic. Bernard the owner and his staff could not be more helpful, even helping us to improve our French. Extremely well located about a 4 or 5 minute walk from the main train station and Car Rental Agencies. Only about a 15 minute or so stroll the the beach. Lots of reasonably priced places to eat and drink in the area of the hotel. Our room was quiet, clean and comfortable and had air conditioning. There are presently some major upgrades being done in the hotel. Our room was newly papered and painted with new furniture and bedding in a very tasteful motif. The bathroom is slightly larger than most European hotel style bathrooms which was nice. Great value - prices vary depending on what you book, but our room at this time was only 54 Euros for the double and you have a choice if you wish of either a 4 Euro continental Breafast or a fuller 8 Euro Breakfast.
Self serve automatic coffee machine which makes delicious cafe au lait, chocolate, cappucino etc. was a great touch. We are returning in 3 weeks to stay again when we drop our car rental back off. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maroon53
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The Hotel Azure Riviera was better than expected for a budget hotel, keeping in mind that "budget hotel" means something different in the summer on the Cote d'Azur. Our corner room on the fourth floor was large (!), comfortable, and as a corner room had windows on both walls. Like most two star hotels, there was no airconditioning, but fans were available for rent at 2 Euro a day. Mosquitos were a problem at night with the windows open, but the hotel isn't responsible for that. Some late night / early morning traffic noise, but nothing bad or unusual. Free wifi in the lobby. Friendly help.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple