“A unique and good value hotel near the port in Nice”
Review of Clair Hotel

Clair Hotel
Ranked #119 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Canterbury
“A unique and good value hotel near the port in Nice”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

The Clair Hotel is built on the side of a steep hill. The family that run it have the uppermost level and the rooms are accessed via a courtyard a couple of flights of stairs below. Access to the outside world is via a further flight of stairs which brings you out at street level for the port.
Our room was large and clean and had a kitchenette with fridge, hot plate, kettle, toaster and microwave. Esther provided some crockery and cutlery and we made use of the local bakeries and supermarkets to get breakfast and make up sandwiches for lunch.
There is free wifi internet access at a good bandwidth.
Esther lent us a couple of guide books, which was very useful.
We stayed eight nights and soon managed to find our way around. To get to Monaco or Cannes by rail, it's best to walk to Nice Riquier station (about 15 minutes) rather than try to get to the main Nice Ville SNCF station. Place Garibaldi is about 10 minutes walk and gives access to the tramway. The main seafront (quai des etats-unis and promenade des anglais) can be reached by walking round the port to the castle hill.
We would stay here again if we return to Nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kentishchap

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have stayed at Clair hotel at least five times now with my family and have recommended this hotel to friends and family who have taken me up on it. My gregarious brother Michael from Belfast has also made a return visit !!. Hotel Clair has become an integral part of our family's Nice experience. We find Esther and Luba to be the perfect hosts who are most informative about local places of interest.The outside courtyard with tables for each room and nightlites provided is atmospheric.For those on a budget it is a deligtful place to eat al-fresco or converse with other guests.Value for money is phenominal and the rooms are huge by Brighton hotel standards. My teenage sons had college coursework to complete and there was ample space in their room to do this and wifi connection.There is an Intermarché supermarket down the road and kitchen facilities in most rooms so it is ideal for those on a tight budget.
Could I go to Nice and stay somewhere else? With a heavy heart. This is why I book Clair Hotel as soon as I know I am going there.I will be booking soon for next year.

Room Tip: Decide whether you want a room with kitchen facilities.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2011

My son and I stayed here for two nights We were required to enter at night down a dark street through an iron door. Staff was f roundly however the lobby was their home and once we got their they said their credit machine was not working and they would only take cash

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Waka B
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Clean, austere room in a great location. Breakfast in the courtyard was charming. The real prize here are the owners who are genuinely interested in you enjoying your stay in Southern France. Luba had intuitive advice based on our interests. Speaking English only was no issue what so ever.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 12, 2011

The owners seem like a delightful couple, the room was clean & nice (although the room had something more like a large shutter that locked instead of a door). It is perhaps a 10-15 minute walk to the old part of Nice, and there are also restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

I can echo what a previous poster wrote, though, about getting *in* to the hotel. I arrived in the morning to a silent building and nobody answered the bell. I waited around 30 minutes and nobody came or left. Fortunately I had friends staying elsewhere in Nice so I had a place to drop my luggage and was later able to get ahold of the hotel and meet with them, but without this I might have wasted the better part of a day waiting for someone to show up. I would *strongly* suggest future travelers to this hotel confirm what time you expect to arrive so someone is there to meet you. Once you are checked in then you get a key and the rooms themselves are accessed via a street on the opposite side of the hotel from where you first find the hotel.

To be honest what really attracted me to this hotel was the price, since I was there primarily to be out of the room exploring and just needed a place to sleep & shower. Compared to the rates I found on the web at other hotels a bit closer to the water & the Promenade des Anglais this was much less expensive. However asking at my friends hotel (when it looked like I might not have a place to stay) I found that if you contact hotels directly and ask for a small room without a view you can come pretty close to the rates at Clair Hotel and get a larger hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike_1234z
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We had 2 nights reserved at Clair hotel at the beginning of September 2011. When we got to the hotel at 2 pm nobody opened the door and nobody answered the phone. We went downtown calling the hotel every now and then to see if they pick it up but there was no answer even if my husband left a message. When we went back at 18:00 we were attended by a woman who did not speak anything but French and could not find our reservation. No wonder because the reservations consisted in post-its sticked to a big calendar.Ours got blown away by the wind, I think. When my husband asked about the parking which was previously talked about over the phone she just waved towards the dead end street saying over there.¨ Over there¨ was packed with cars.
As our toddler was getting impatient we just had to find a different hotel having to drive 60 km backwards towards Italy where we came from and had to forget about Nice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank luciap6530
Guildford
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Tucked away by the port in Nice is this Oasis of peace and friendliness ,the rooms are clean and spacious and all front on to a loverly Garden space where you can sit and be unaware that you are in a major town,the owners and thier family are always around and stop to chat and advise about everything around the area and are very obligeing.my wife and I spent a week there and genuinely felt better for it. I would reccommend it to anyone who wants a small Hotel where it feels as if you are visiting friends.

Room Tip: All face the garden so all good
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple