We stayed for the second time in Mercure Nice Promenade des Anglais in early June 2013. We had two rooms with garden view and in my opinion paying extra for the garden view is well worth the money. We got excellent service from Audrey, who helped us to modify our reservations so that we were able to get our rooms with the garden view. Originally we somehow had managed to book the rooms with city view, but luckily we noticed the error early enough. The reception at the hotel was very friendly and we felt welcome. Despite our arrival at 11.30 am, we got the rooms right away which was nice after many hours travelling. The rooms were side by side and very clean. The staff met all our special requests and even brought us extra blankets which has not happened in all the hotels we have stayed in.
The maids were very polite and always greeted us with a smile. However, the quality of cleaning varied a lot between our two rooms. Even at the lowest, the quality of cleaning was still satisfying and much was forgiven since the maids were so nice. Air-conditioning worked well and it was a pleasure to have a nap after walking in a hot city. To our taste the beds and pillows were comfortable and very clean. We were happy with the rooms and found only a few cons: in the other room the sliding door of the balcony was extremely stiff and I bet that the elderly guests have difficulties to open it. The wardrobes should have more hangers (3 per person is not enough for a week stay). We had a connection door between our rooms (we didn’t use it and it was locked) and because of it we could here all the talking from the other room. Since we were same party, it didn’t bother us much but I could imagine it can cause problems if the neighbors are unfamiliar to each other.
The weird smell in the corridors has been mentioned in some of the reviews here. It is true that the smell exists at least in the corridor that faces the sea. The garden facing corridor didn’t have the smell. The smell is like it’s coming from the drains and in the corridors we didn’t mind it but if it’s also in the privileged rooms, it can be a problem.
The breakfast was good and the selection was wide enough (scrambled eggs, bacon, frankfurters, pastries, bread, cereals, fruit, cheese, ham, cucumber, tomatoes, yoghurt, pancakes, juice, coffee from different kinds of machines and tea). We hope that someone has managed to cook an egg with the machine; we didn’t because even at its maximum heat the water wasn’t boiling and the eggs weren’t ready after 20 minutes cooking. :) The tall dark gentleman responsible for the breakfast room was amazingly friendly in all mornings and made all the guests feel welcome.
It was nice idea to put some magazines in the lobby for the guests. We got some great shopping ideas from Marie Claire. All the staff in the reception and throughout the hotel was friendly and attentive, so I hope that all the staff, especially the ones who got the special mention in this review, will get compliments for making our holiday fantastic! I have already recommended the hotel for couple of my friends so in the future you will sure have more satisfied guests! Also we will be back, hopefully soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the sea, at n°1 on the Promenade des Anglais,the hotel is located above the famous Ruhl Casino. In thevery heart of the city, you will enjoy Massena pedestriandistrict as well as the typical Old Nice. As far as practicalmatters are concerned, a car park with direct access islocated below the hotel (fee-paying service). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, ACCOR and Despegar.com so you can book your Mercure Nice Promenade des Anglais reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Nice Promenade Des Anglais Hotel Nice
- Mercure Nice Promenade Hotel Des Anglais
- Accor Nice Promenade Des Anglais
- Mercure Hotel Nice