“Highly recommended”
Review of Hotel West End

Hotel West End
Ranked #37 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Having just spent three days in this hotel it certainly ticked all the boxes for me. The staff were very friendly and helpful, It would of been nice to have a sea view but having said that we did not spend much time in the room. There is an excellent bus service from the airport which stops outside the hotel (NO 98 ) costing just 1.5 Euro or you have a choice of a taxi at 25 euro !! The rooms were very clean and breakfast was fine.

Room Tip: I would ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ken B
HOTEL-WEST-END-NICE, Directeur général at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2015

Dear Guest,

It has been a great pleasure welcoming you to our hotel. I would like to thank you, on behalf of our staff and management, for your comments.

We truly appreciate your feedback and will continue to strive to exceed the expectation of all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Regards

General Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed March 7, 2014

For a very reasonable price I got an excellent sea view room. However, there is no A/C, which means you have to open the balcony doors, and because of that it becomes very noisy. We didn't have a good sleep in the 2 nights we stayed in this hotel. Moreover, at checkout, a couple of drinks were charged to our bill which we didn't get from the minibar and the staff at the reception at that time insist that we still pay.

If you're a light sleeper, hotel is great, get the sea view, and also make sure you review your bill carefully.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
HOTEL-WEST-END-NICE, Directeur général at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, i would like to thank you for the time you spent writing that comment. Then, we have to inform you that we have air conditionning but during winter, we put priority on the hot air, because, normally, at that period, temperature is not so hot.

I apologize and i understand that your feeling was not the best regards that matter. Regards to the minibar, mistakes could happen, and after a research on them, we correct every time in case of wrong information.

We remain at your entire disposal for any information you may require

Best Regard

Hotel West End

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Just back from the West End Hotel, after an amazing 4 night stay in a double deluxe room with a sea view on the fifth floor.
Didn't opt for breakfast as it was €20 per person and we found a lovely place up the road for half the price.
Our room was spotless with a fab shower and a deep bath. The only problem we had was the room was so warm(like a sauna) at night and the air in didn't work, I mentioned it at reception to be told the sitcom was off in the whole hotel as it was still winter, that day was 22 degrees.
Found reception staff very friendly and helpful. Would recommend this hotel.
One tip I would give is get the bus from the airport it's only €3. I paid €35 in a taxi for a less then 10 min journey
Maryann

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank maryann B
HOTEL-WEST-END-NICE, Directeur général at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for the kindness of your review. Our Belle Epoque property is a nice place to have e rest, quiet and with quality services.

As you write, our air conditionning is still in winter side, because we had last week several rainy and cold days, then the sun came back, giving to you that heat feeling. This is not the usual way at that period.

To give you other tip, you have as you say the Airport Bus with 3€ cost, but if you took the shuttle from terminal 2 to terminal one, you can get the bus number 23, who drop off at 100 meter from our hotel, for a cost of 1€. For any other good tip, do not hesitate to contact us.

We remain at your entire disposal

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Upon returning home from my stay at West End Hotel last week, I feel most strongly I have to write this review with my many concerns about my stay. To date 3 emails to the hotel have remained unanswered regarding the issues below.

I booked a Superior Room, based upon the description on your website “Overlooking the Mediterranean Sea and the Promenade des Anglais, the Superior located between the 1st and the 4th floors. The "Belle Epoque" is suggested thanks to the decoration allied to the modern comfort. On your own or accompanied, these rooms are the best deal for an unforgettable stay.”

My concern is initially I was checked into a room on the second floor (room 211), that was both dark and old looking, nothing like the description above. The room style did not look like your picture on your website and resembled an old and tired 2 start hotel room. Upon my protest, I was offered a non smoking room on the 4th floor (room 407), which I was told is all you have. It was smaller and resembled the picture of a room called either Partial Sea View or Privilege room on your website.

I was bitterly disappointed as my stay was a treat for my beloved partner and we both agreed not to cause any further disruption. However as the week progressed we both felt the room was becoming disappointing, was very noisy from adjacent rooms, and the bathroom was so small it could be used properly for its purpose. The toilet was so close to the sink unit, it could not be legal in the UK.

Because of the stress this room started to cause us, we did consider returning home 1 day early.

Despite our concerns with the room, we reported the non-working BBC TV channels on my room TV. Our first request was ignored, we had to ask again after 8 hours and our TV set was checked and agreed to be working properly. We were told the TV company would be informed and the situation sorted the following morning. Nothing changed, and when we asked again at reception for a resolution we were informed there was a problem with the BBC. This answer seemed strange as there was 1 BBC channel was working, but I felt that this explanation was again a reason for the inadequate service your reception staff were constantly offering.

One evening, we asked for 2 buckets of ice to be delivered to our room to chill some drinks we bought. We were told they would be there in a few minutes. After 30 minutes we gave up waiting, Upon our return some 2 hours later, still no ice buckets or ice had been brought to our room.

We asked for a metal teaspoon for our room in order to make a hot drink. We were told the hotel did not supply metal teaspoons and were offered a small ‘plastic’ teaspoon which melted and became useless after making 1 drink. We protested and were told that is all that could be offered.

On Wednesday 19th February the hotel made no attempt to inform any guests that the Promenade des Anglais would be closed that afternoon to both cars and pedestrians. Upon returning back to our hotel, we were both refused access to the car park adjacent and then unable to gain access back into the hotel until the road was later opened that evening. I was utterly shocked that no information was made available to guests about this unacceptable inconvenience to your guests.

The reason we did not feel comfortable to keep raising our concerns with your reception staff were they were constantly attending to the ‘corporate’ Shell guests staying at the hotel. Every time we raised a concern, we were either answered in a short and unprofessional manner, or told there was nothing they could do.

I have raised 6 points above that I would ask to be answered with due care and consideration and they are all 100% justified and combined made our stay both stressful and upsetting.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Mark J

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for the time you spend writing us that detail; I’m reading very carefully your comment and because of the length, I will answer the most precisely for each of them.

You’ve reserved a superior room and you received a superior room (211 and 407). Our property was built in 1842, as individual residence, and at the beginning, each owner made it apartment in relation with his needs. When we bought the West End Hotel, we kept the same spirit Belle Epoque. So you’re right, we cannot compare our hotel than other new and modern hotel, our rooms are not 121 room typically the same. But you received the category of room you’ve reserved.

Room Category: As I told you on the first point, the room 211 and 407 are classified on the Superiors room, which means “Sea View Room”. When you came at hotel, our occupancy was high so we did not have the possibility to show you other kind of room on your arrival day. And after moving room, you did not come back to the front desk telling us that complaint. Regarding the toilet, we can understand that the standard in uk are not the same than standard in France.

Reservation: You’ve made the reservation from the Monday, February 17 until the Friday, February 21 as it’s written on your confirmation; we would like to thank you for staying the whole stay.

Channel issue: You’ve complained about the BBC channel trouble, and following that point, our maintenance service came to fix it, but because we are in partnership with external company, it took a longer time than normal issue; we are sorry and apologize about it.
We also apologize for the ice bucket, but we would like to have more information regarding this matter, could contact us to solve that point?

Room Service : Our rules are correct regard to your comment, for the coffee cup in the room and for people who want to eat with them food inside them room we provide plastic cutlery. We have a real restaurant and a real room service, and with that ones, when you order on our menu, you receive metal cutlery. Some of the hotel around the world refuse the external food inside the hotel, but us, we tolerate, with plastic cutlery provided with.

Information regarding access : We are dealing with Nice Carnaval since several years, and every day during that event, our front desk team explain to all of our guest that the Carnaval will come in front of the hotel, and the way to turn around that one. Over that regular event, we place 5 advertisements (human size) on the hotel (face to front desk, face to the lift, inside restaurant, and on each furniture’s, telling you the program and restrictions.

Dear Guest, I was every day at my office during your stay, and I never received any complaint regarding your situation, the same for my front desk team, giving us the possibility to think about a solution, giving us the chance to improve your feeling. We would love to change that, but the first complaint is on your first mail, no way for us to return in that past.

This is second reply to you. The first was after your proposal of blackmail, the one that, of course, we refused.

We are sorry to read your comment without having the opportunity to solve those points during your stay. If you come back to our hotel, we will put a strong energy and attention to provide you a nice and warm stay with us.

We remain at your disposal for any information you may require

Xavier WALBRECQ
Hotel West End General Managment

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Hotel room overlooking block of flats to rear. Excellent breakfast with outside seating a bonus to soak up atmosphere of Ideal hotel situation. Bus stop outside hotel making it convenient to get from and to airport. Following departure credit card charged for a bottle of champagne which we did not have and is presently being strongly disputed with the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 186370Paul

Dear Guest,

We are sorry reading your comment, because your stay was excellent at the hotel, the service was right regards to your needs, and then, because of a mistake at check out resolved since your request, your notation is the same as a bad stay.

We apologize for that mistake, convinced that your notation is not the reality of your stay as you wrote on this website.

We remain at your entire disposal for any information you may require

Reviewed January 30, 2014

1:Even a sea-side room(#311) was not a beautiful sea view.
Room is beautiful becase of new painting, and clean.
2:Baggage table wasn't provided.Elestric-pot has not a suitable
place to switch on.
3:You can walk to the old city for 10-15min.Sncf Nice Ville station
for 11-13min walk.
4:Nearest super-market(Carrefour) is within 5min walk.
5:You can visit Monaco,San Remo by train which has no 1st class.
If you use a train,be carefull: "Pick-Pockets" who are a lot next to
Paris.(Avignon sightseeing bus driver's advice). Especially when
getting in train among passenngers.Sncf in this Cotedazur area
was often delayed while my atay,so passengers become nervous
to get-in.
6:Taxi zone is next front,though,hotel staff calls taxi in early morning
(before 7a.m).It costs 18euro to sncf station without making a detour.
7:TV:CNN,BBC-world,NHK-world(engl),ZDF

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank TOMY2011
HOTEL-WEST-END-NICE, Directeur général at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2015

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for the time you spent writing us that comment.
I will take in care in each things of your comment to exceed your futur stay with us.

Looking hopefully to welcome you soon,

Best Regards

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I was in the hotel many times.Once they give it to us a very terrible room and they were not so nice,but after two days they changed our room and give it a present as well.In this area here is the best the breakfast:)

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gabriella R
WEST2010, Responsable relations clients at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Gabriella

Thanks for your comment. We are all very happy to read how you enjoyed your stay ans how quickly end efficiently your first impression has been turned to the most positive one, you could have of all of us and our hotel.
We do hope to welcome you back and enjoy another stay with us.
We are waiting for you.
With our kindest regards.
Guest relation manager.