“Good Location, Clean, good team ,Bad Service in Restaurant, average Breakfast”
Review of Hotel West End

Hotel West End
Ranked #34 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Good Location, Clean, Bad Service and Hospitality in Resto, average Breakfast

I was in West End hotel from 10 to 13 May 2011 (rooms in Level 4 and Level 5).

-The hotel is clean and my room had good View and Good Quality.
Special Thanks to Miss Olympe who Did the Check in and also Check out for me and she put a note to her Boss to Solve the Problem of My room and Mr. Jean who Changed My room from Level 4 and then finally to Level 5 room 504 which was the best possible room for me in this hotel.

Positive:
-Good Location = The location of the hotel is really good and you can reach Hotel by Bus from Airport and you can go to Airport with Same bus by 5 Meter Walk.
You can reach all the public transportation beside the hotel Specially Hop on Hop off Bus. Good View to Sea– near Supermarket InterMarche – Near several Resto and …….
-free High Speed Wi-Fi in Your Room
-Clean Room – Good Housekeeping
- Good Team and good hospitality from Miss Olympe (who did the Check in and Check out and arranged the taxi to airport and she also was good help to me to find an address in NICE)
Good hospitality and respect from Mr Jean in Front Desk who Speaks French ,Italian and Good English .
Good Hospitality and assistant from Mr. Antoine (front desk) who gave me a lot of Information about Nice and Area .
Good Hospitality from Breakfast Team Specially Miss Samira (who has Smile all the time to all guests! – Mr. Charles ( who respects the Guests and check in them ) and a tall Man and a Blond Lady who I don’t know their names which also they were Respecting the guests in Breakfast area .

Negative:
-Very Bad Hospitality In Restaurant – I had a lunch in the Hotel resto and the quality of the food was average compare to Price!
I had a dinner in this hotel too and I have seen very Bad Hospitality from a men in this Restaurant in the Night Time and I become really sad and sorry and I didn’t finish my Food ! .
the Man didn’t respect the 2 Old clients ( who would like to have Drink only !!!!! ) and also he was Angry to me and other clients and he was Not Speaking Respectfully to me and Others . finally me and 3 American beside me in other Tables told him that it is better that he and his team Be respectful to Guests and use Smile as in France we heard that the client is KING !!! This Bad Hospitality made a Bad night for me in this hotel. so forget about Resto and choose other resto out of the hotel which you can enjoy your stay in Nice in a calm and lovely mood .not in this Restaurant that that the team are angry with you and they don’t have SMILE !
This was really a Bad memory of this hotel for me and I never forget that Night!

- Price of room was expensive compare to other Hotels .
- Some rooms are old and need repair specially my first room in LEVEL 4.
-The Breakfast is Average compare to Price

The most important positive is the location which is really a good value during your stay as you can reach everywhere by public transportation and even by walking to the Beach and Historic Area.
The Front Desk team are Very Good and they respect you and this was a good memory for me in this hotel .

Room Tip: ask them the rooms on the Top floor :)
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Farshad74
WEST2010, Responsable réception at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2011

Thank you for your message.
The front desk agents have been informed about your comments and they are quite happy to read how you did appreciate their job. Taking care of each of our guests and make their stay a memorable one is our aim.
Therefore we do regret your opinion about the restaurant. Immediate actions have been done and the restaurant staff has been updated and trained to offer the best possible service with care and efficiency.
Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back .
Best regards
Jean Michel Sigaut
Front Office manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,283)

Reviewed May 23, 2011

*****Be warned - this hotel has a practice of writing down your credit card number and the Security number on the registration form. This compromises the security of your account. I reported this to the credit card company who have cancelled my card as a result.*****

The purpose of our trip was to celebrate my wife's birthday. I booked a "deluxe room with sea views", this was not the lowest cost room in the hotel consequently my expectation was that the room would be a reasonable size with some quality about the facilities.

When I opened the door my heart sank. Tiny room with barely enough space to walk around the bed, further impaired as someone else's luggage was in the room! A lack of attention to detail did not bode well. Facilites - bog standard minibar and a TV screwed to the wall (perhaps indicative of their approach to customers?).

The bathroom was tiny but occuped by a large psuedo-antique sink unit that meant you knees coming into contact with it when you used the toilet. Ridiculous design!

So this is what the website advertising the Hotel West End calls "Deluxe". Well, as a person who uses hotels around the world on a (too) regular basis, "deluxe" by any stretch of the imagination it was not. For example you get more space in the US La Quinta or Holiday Inn Express chain hotels, better facilities in a standard Marriott. This room was much more expensive than standard accomodation in, for example, the London Lancaster and the Grand Hyatt in Singapore. Without doubt the room pricing is way, way out of line with the facilties and service.

We checked out after one night instead of the three planned. We were shown an alternative suite but frankly I was not inclined to give my custom to this establishment. It seemed to me that the hotel was only out to harvest your wallet and provide as little service as possible in return which showed how much respect they really have for customers. This is allegedley a four star hotel?

By contrast we moved into the Negresco Hotel, practically next door. They had rooms not that much more expensive than the West End available to book via the web. A day and night comparison to the West End in terms of value for money, room facilities and the service given by the staff.

We were not alone either! We noticed another couple who arrived at the West End the same time as we did also checking into the Negresco at the same time.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before handing over any money.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank VardNoodleblast
WEST2010, Responsable réception at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2011

Thank you for your review, and all of your comments have been considered with good care.
Credit card check can be done immediately at check in time and every guest can choose the method of payment that can be used as a guarantee. Credit card information can be returned to the guest at check out time. As a proof of our consideration to your disappointment about the room size who did not match with your expectations, a Junior suite was suggested and our staff invited you to visit it but you decline it.
Whatever the description of the room is, it seems that you did not like the hotel style which we do regret.The West End has a unique Belle Epoque charm and it has nothing in common with standard hotel chain, this is one of our asset and regretfully you did not appreciate it.
We hope you had a nice stay in Nice and that you will return to the city very soon.
Sincerely yours . Jean Michel Sigaut - Front Office manager

Reviewed May 12, 2011

I read with trepidation some of the reviews for this hotel but was very impressed. I chose it for location . I overlooked the Negresco Hotel and the sea on the 5th floor. The room looked newly decorated in white and was immaculate. The staff were very kind and helpful. I would recommend it. It is not cheap but for the location and atmosphere worth the splurge.

Room Tip: book prestige room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank judy05451
WEST2010, Responsable réception at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2011

We are so happy to read such a positive review.
Thank you very much, it is a pleasure for all of us to meet all our guests expectations.
All our staff has been informed and they will all keep up their efforts to achieve our commitment to excellence.
We hope to welcome you back very soon.
With our best regards
Mr Jean Michel SIGAUT
Front Office Manager

Reviewed May 3, 2011

I understand that this review is quite long but please read on for an accurate account of my experience at the Hotel West End.

I called the Hotel personally to book a double room for a week for the first real holiday my girlfriend and I had been on in 5 years. After agreeing on a price for a ‘city view’ room I was informed that no deposit was required but the concierge needed to take my debit card details in case of a cancelation on my part. As it was late in the evening I was told that my confirmation email would be with me the next morning.

When the email arrived I was surprised, but not annoyed, to find out that breakfast, at €20 per person per day, had been added to the total even though it had neither been offered nor requested. I replied to the email stating that breakfast would not be required and for this to be removed from the bill and received an email duly back confirming this.

That same evening an amount of money, equivalent to approximately 15% of the total bill, was been removed from my account. I thought nothing of it at the time but called my bank a few days later as the transaction had still not cleared. Upon speaking to my bank they informed me it was a ‘pending transaction’ – i.e.: it had not actually been paid to another party but, should it be needed, I would be unable to draw out the money. They also informed me that it was removed from my account the morning after I had made my initial phone call to the Hotel West End. Vary of fraud, I cancelled the transaction immediately and at this point became slight disappointed that the hotel (that I had not yet even visited) had not informed they me planned to remove this money, temporarily or otherwise, from my account.

Upon arriving at the hotel the first thing I noticed was a sign on the front desk stating that all guests could enjoy a full breakfast for just €12 per person per day if they booked it for their entire stay. I had only just entered the hotel at which I was hoping to enjoy the next 7 days of my holiday to find out they try ‘scam’ their guests of their money before they have even arrived. My slight disappointment at this establishment soon became moderate.

During the check-in process it transpired the hotel only accepted credit cards as a guarantee until the full bill was settled and that, as we were using a debit card we would have to pay the full amount prior to even seeing our room. In addition to this we were offered no advice on the whereabouts of any hotel facilities including where any meals would be served.

Our ‘City View’ turned out to be a view of a wall and our ‘double’ bed was simply to (small) singles pushed together without even attempting to place a double sheet over both beds as is commonly done even in lower-end establishments.

For our first 3 days at the Hotel West End neither the Coffee nor Tea was filled up upon the room being serviced. For the next 4 days only decaffeinated coffee was offered. My bed was uncomfortable, the air conditioning did not work and during the weekend we were there was a lot of noise from the back of the hotel, just outside our room. Over the course of our stay we had to make 5 trips from our room back to the front desk as both of the keys that we were given repeatedly refused to work and we could therefore not get into our room. It was only at the 5th time of asking that we were told that there can sometimes be issues with the electronic keys - when placed next to other cards within a wallet this can apparently cause them to malfunction. Why were we not offered this information upon arrival? After attempting to swindle their guests out of money does this hotel enjoy watching repeatedly them go up and down the stairs wondering why they cannot enter the hotel room they paid for on arrival? At this point on our holiday my disappointment had turned to anger.

To top it all off on the third day of our holiday I found out that another amount of money, this time the equivalent of exactly €150, had been removed from our account. I spent £20 phoning the U.K. to discover that the amount was removed at exactly the same time that our bill with the hotel had been settled and that, once again, the amount was ‘pending’ and could not be drawn upon – i.e. was not available to us. We had paid our bill on arrival and yet the Hotel West End still thought it appropriate to deduct further money from our account.

Twice I asked to speak to the hotel manager, a Mr. Richom, to discuss the above and twice I was informed he was not available. The second time, while the concierge was on the phone to him, I overheard her mention our room number, and upon being denied for a second time, I could only assume we were not important enough for him to merely speak to.

We left the hotel on the 18th of April and the money was not returned to our account until the 26th of April – I think is was absolutely atrocious conduct from what is supposed to be a top class hotel on the Promenade Des Anglais. After visiting Nice (which was wonderful by the way) I honestly think you could get a lot better service, and a much more pleasant experience, from any other hotel found by simply dropping a pin on a map of the Promenade.

The only first class thing about the Hotel West End is the high speed Wi-Fi internet access.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank James L
WEST2010, Responsable réception at Hotel West End, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2011

Such an intense review cannot be considered as an appropriate one and the false description of the main issues are mainly due to a misinterpretation of our reservation confirmation, credit card check procedures and accommodation standards .
We would strongly advise the readers not to consider it as objective but rather unsubstantial and intentionally misleading and somewhat slanderous.
Never we would allow anyone spoil or damage our reputation with unverified or subjective comments. We do suggest the readers to consider all the other reviews and make their own appreciation .
On behalf of the management and all the members of the staff.
Mr Jean michel Sigaut
Front Office manager

Reviewed April 23, 2011

We had a small room with no view but it was clean and the beds very comfortable. We could not obtain washcloths, however. The hotel is not very accessible for those with problems walking (several steps to enter the lobby and bathtub very hard to climb in and out of.) Location is wonderful with the lovely beach across the street and a 15 minute leisurely walk to Old Town and the market place. Breakfast was OK (great fresh squeezed juice and assorted rolls) but limp bacon and scrambled eggs too wet for my liking. Same offerings everyday. Staff polite and helpful. Beautiful lobby and side rooms. Renovations going on in rooms but not intrusive to our stay. Bad luck that the guest above us had a very heavy step. I would visit again and request a room with a better view.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 14, 2011

I booked this as a budget package with Easyjet.

The bus from airport (No98) is easy to catch at airport and stops outside. Perfect location.

A very handsome man booked us in professionally. The room was the smallest but we were very pleased. Very well equipped. Double shutters for peace at night.

The breakfast was adequate and busy. Some stuff ran out but a very handsome young man sorted me out toots sweet.

I am a hotelier and found everything highly satisfactory and anything negative must be made by fussy whinjebags.

Really enjoyed this so book with confidenece

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2011

The hotel is walking distance from all of the shops and restaurants. The hotel iteself is going through a tranformation. The room we stayed in was a Deluxe Ocean Front which happened to be newly renovated for us. The room was very modern and well thought out. The room was one of a very few who had a terrace allowing us to enjoy the special views of the water and downtown. The wait staff on the beach was very good and quite informative on things to visit. There was a daily admission and rental to the beach. The beach does not allow any outside food or beverage to be brought in!! Overall, very easy to check in and check out!! BTW: was able to exchange USD for Euro here too!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple