“Comfortable accommodation - very nice in Nice!!”
Review of Hotel Ellington

Hotel Ellington
Ranked #37 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My sunny room had a wonderful view over the roof tops of the city. The rising sun warmed the room every morning and throughout the day. Opening the window let the lovely breeze in. I didn’t need the air con or heating. The bedroom was a good size for a single or couple. It didn't need to be any bigger. The queen size bed was comfortable and I had everything I needed in the room including coffee/tea making facilities, fridge with mini bar, good hanging and cupboard space for clothes, good size bathroom with complimentary toiletries and lovely hot water. The shower curtain got in the way a little bit during my shower. However this was solved by not shutting it all the way and allowing the air to circulate around the shower – a minor insignificance to my overall experience. I didn’t use Wi-Fi, so cannot comment. I don’t need a laptop on my vacation. I didn't have the breakfast option which was offered to me on arrival, as I didn't require it – so cannot comment on this. Its best to get out in the morning and discover the various cafes around the town. The hotel has a great central location, close to shops, transport, city centre, walking distance to beach, old town markets and away from the busy promenade.

Upon my arrival, my room was beautifully clean. Cleaning staff would come every day, although I did not need them to. Hanging up towels to dry and re-using them saves on cleaning costs and the environment.

I love the décor, ambiance and the nostalgic jazz theme of the hotel, but this may not be for everyone. They have a bar happy hour or two, in the early evening which was good to be able to relax, after spending a day exploring the French Riviera. The bar lounge arm chairs were so comfortable, I could have fallen asleep in them!

All of the staff were professional, courteous, friendly and helpful. Especially Karim for making my stay so very welcoming. His smile brighten my days. Advice and maps of the city were provided to me and explanations on how to get to places. An umbrella was given to me when it rained (which only happened once) and when I needed day tours and taxi to be booked, this was taken care of very efficiently. The Côte d'Azur is to be explored and that is what was arranged for me. The tour company arrived on time and I had 2 fantastic days trips – one along the coast and around the countryside to the perfume factory and the other one to Monaco and back.

This was my first trip to Nice and the Côte d'Azur and I had a fabulous time, staying for one week. I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It was a big part of my memorable visit to Nice. I recommend it.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the quieter your room should be. City noise is to be expected.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Helen T

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Booked an executive room because reviews tended to suggest the rooms were quite small. Had a reasonable sized room with a little lounge area and a Nespresso machine which was a nice touch, front desk staff very pleasant. Good breakfast. However, the room was disgustingly hot at night, the air con was blowing out hot air despite being set to cool. When we spoke to the desk staff they said that the air conditioning was set to heat the entire hotel at night 'because it was cold in Nice in October' - however it was 24-25 degrees during the day!! They suggested we open the windows at night instead of having the aircon on, however as our room looked out onto the street it was incredibly noisy all night long. Had we been booked in for longer than 3 days we would have cancelled the remainder of the reservation and gone elsewhere, because it was impossible to sleep.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank joodle1
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Dont choose this hotel. Pictures are misleading. Not only was the bed squeaky but it was off kilter. The carpet was stained and smelly and the hallways are darkened. The room is tiny and there are 10 steps to get into the hotel. Complaining only got the standard "hotel is fully booked " line. PLEASE...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jemared1012
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a short break in late September. We would not consider it a 4 star hotel. The room was small and there was not a lot of hanging space in the wardrobe or much space on the top of the bed side locker. The dining room was a shambles on several mornings it was the first time we ever had to clear a table ourselves for our breakfast. It was 9.30am and all the tables had been used and not cleared . There did not appear to be enough staff on duty there. The food was good but was very haphazard in layout sliced bread beside the toaster but all the rest of the rolls and other breads were at the other end of the dining room and the butter was all alone away from the jams and honey. We had a nice time there and the staff were great but we had paid extra for a 4 star hotel and we felt it didn't deliver.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are noisy because of traffic lights refuse collection and very early morning stre...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mary F
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Second stay at this hotel with 3years in between. This time out room overlooked the courtyard. On the surface these rooms looked nicer but inside they are a bit musty and disappointing. The rooves sloped so the bathroom was a funny shape. Some of the tiles had fallen off around the bath. The wardrobes were cheaply fitted and it all felt a bit grubby. The rooms were chilly too.
The bar is nice as is the breakfast area and there is a reasonable selection to choose from. May get quite busy though.
Situated not far from the old town and promenade so not a bad location.
Bit of a shame as we enjoyed our stay last time. Probably won't return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank veggie2urist
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We only had a short stay overnight so we cannot give a full review. The staff was friendly and courteous. The lobby bar and patio were very pleasant. The location was ideal.

We booked an upgraded classic room. I don't know how the plain classic room could be any smaller that ours. Everything was clean and comfortable. The bathroom could do with a little upgrading.

We would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were on a long weekend to Nice where we have stayed many times, never at the Ellington though, it was comfortable, clean and central but the biggest treat was the staff who were very helpful and friendly. I mentioned to them that it was my partners birthday and in the morning they brought her a small cake, a present and two glasses of champagne. This is the kind of care and attention that is all too often missing from hotels. Thank you the staff at the Ellington, you were so kind.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple