“Lots of problems for such a hotel brand”
Review of Le Meridien Nice

Le Meridien Nice
Ranked #80 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Nice hotel, clean, spacey, great view from the room and great corporate negotiated rate,
BUT
- We held a conference, while restoration or repair works were taking place in the upper floors meaning that drill and hummer noise was accompanying us through the sessions, making us at least nervous. Please do not organize conferences at the same time with restoration works !
- No WiFi available in the rooms in 2011 (!) in Nice that is supposed to be the technology city of France.
- Room had 3 phone appliances. When I asked a colleague to call me, I heard a ring tone, but the phone on the desk was not that one (was still giving a dial tone!). Tried the one close to the bed next, was able to talk, but was quite away from my laptop that had to stay on the desk connected to the network wire due to the lack of WiFi ! In a few words could not do work this way. Another time that I asked a family member to call me, he did so, but no phone ever rang ! (Possibly the operator connected another room).
- Once I ordered room service, and after finishing put the tray outside my room door in the corridor. Shortly after I found under my door a cart that I should have called the room service butler at phone 4400 to collect the tray. Found it very rude indeed and regretted immediately the generous tip I had signed in my bill !
- On the morning of departure, did not find the bill pre-printed under my room door so I could have an express checkout. Had to go to the reception together with numerous other colleagues to do checkout waiting in queues. No billing information on the TV either.
In a few words, nice hotel for tourists, but with huge room for improvements for a business traveler.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2011

Dear GGol2005
Firstly, I was delighted that you enjoyed the hotel, your room and also the view.
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complete review, and I'll reply to each point.
- With regards to the noise, renovation works were being carried out over a very short period of time by another business in the building (not in our hotel) .
- Indeed, some of our rooms have had a few "hiccups" with WIFI which are to be rectified by mid March.
- Our Guest Service team is at our guests' disposal to take into account any problem encountered during their stay and I can only presume that they weren't aware of your concerns with the telephone.
- I'm surprised to learn that you had an issue with room service as our butlers prefer to converse with guests and only resort to cards when the guests are absent.
- the bill is never pre-printed in advance and slipped under the guests door. However, anyone who so wishes can request a Pre Check Out at the reception desk the day before leaving in order to avoid possible queues.
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I do hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience and that you will allow us another chance.

Reviewed February 7, 2011

The hotel was nice, clean, the staff was relatively helpful, the rooms were nice and spacious compared to what I expected. The breakfast had quite a bit of variety but the "hot" breakfast items (scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, sausage etc) were more cold then warm. They have a good variety of tasty evening drinks and the coffee is very good. It's a nice atmosphere and very conveniently located. The rooms do have VERY thin walls.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2011

Dear GonnaCTheWorld,
So pleased that you enjoyed your recent family leisure stay with us.
I'm glad that you brought your issue with the "hot" breakfast to my attention. I have informed the Breakfast Manager of your comments in order to avoid a reoccurrence.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you back to Le Méridien Nice.

Reviewed February 1, 2011

I have just left the Le Meridien and will not be staying there again!

I am a SPG member and stay in many 4-5* hotels 6 months of the year, this was a disappointment.

My room consisted of what looked like 2 camp beds pushed together, the bed itself was rock hard and very uncomfortable with polyester pillows & duvet.

The TV had been placed on a very old fridge with it's wires hanging out the back, the TV barely worked and despite the list having a good selection of English channels, none of them worked.

The bathroom was horrible, toilet roll holder was not only broken and placed on the top of the toilet but there wasn't any paper in the bathroom.

The bath was peeling away with rust all around the plug hole, the shower curtain was the nylon type that attacks you whilst you shower!!

When turning on the tap in the sink the water immediately dumped itself on the floor underneath.

The breakfast on the upside was very nice, though at 10am-5pm any kind of peace you were hoping for was shattered by the loud and excessive drilling. This went through the lobby and whilst in my room sounded as if it was above me. You cannot hear yourself think!

There was never any mention about the building works on booking and no apology on departure.

If you don't care about the cleanliness of your room, need a good location and intend to be out until after 5pm then this would be ok.

Personally I will not be returning.

• Stayed: January 2011
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2011

Dear Tinkebell28,

I was sincerely sorry to learn of your concerns during your recent stay and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience experienced.
Usually any such faults are detected and rectified prior to the room being allocated. Our Guest Service team is at our guest's disposal to take into account any problem encountered during their stay and I can only presume that they weren't aware of your concerns.

King size double beds are available although we do have a call for twin beds too. It may occur, that two single beds are pushed together making, what is locally called, an "italian bed".
I am sorry that you didn't appreciate the exclusive twin Le Méridien Bed.

With regards to the noise, renovation works were being carried out over a very short period of time by another business in the building (not in our hotel).

On a more positive note, I am glad you enjoyed the excellent breakfast.
I do therefore hope that you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience.
Hoping that you will allow us another chance.

Reviewed January 19, 2011

I spent 4 nights with my grandson in October 2010 and had a very comfortable and relaxing stay. The rooms were spotless an we had a side room with a terrace overlooking the airport which looked beautiful at night. The staff were exceptional and very friendly. The breakfast was served very well and there was plenty of choice. It was also very close to thye town and was in easy walking distance of shops and particularly good restuarants. All in all a very good hotel to stay in and I would certainly go back if staying in Nice.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2011

Dear luccaYorkshireGirl,
I was sincerely happy to learn how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I was delighted to read the great comments you wrote regarding the whole staff in general at Le Meridien Nice, with a special mention for the breakfast team, and you can be assured that I will personally share your review with everyone here.
I do hope that you will be returning to us soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2011

We expected a luxury hotel with comfortable furnishings and mediterranean style. It's been remodeled and now has purple halls, and modern cold furnishings. If it was summer we may have enjoyed the big balconies but otherwise the rooms are average.
The roof top restaurant was closed. It's big plus is, its across from the sea in the middle of Nice. You can take a bus to and from the airport as the stop is out front. If you like painted furniture and white leather benches this hotel is for you. There is a casino on the property. The bathrooms were good and so was the lighting.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends

Dear msjaguar,
Sorry that you didn't appreciate the remodeling of Le Méridien Nice by François Champsaur, the French interior designer, who has made the most of the breathtaking views over the Mediterannean and its exceptional position basking in natural light.
The roof top restaurant is indeed closed for 6 weeks due to kitchen renovation works to ensure that the team works in a comfortable environment with all the latest equipment.
Yes, you're absolutely right, we are in an ideal location, opposite the beach, within easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants, and just a short walk to the Old Town.
Hoping that you will be able to return to Nice in the not too distant future.

Reviewed December 24, 2010

Location:Beside the main street with all shops & restaurant
Lobby:Clean nice & ok receptionist
Room:Bed is big ,Tv new flat screen but internet must charge Eur 19(24H) too expensive
The hotel is opp the main ocean,just for the view
Brekfast;Great...everything is there
Casino & Mcdodald is downstair

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2010

Dear Frankieswea,
I'm really glad that you were able to enjoy our hotel during your business trip.
It's certainly true that the hotel location couldn't be better. We're opposite the Mediterranean with an absolutely magnificent view and all the designer shops are just around the corner. On top of this, and for those who like casinos, the famous Casino Ruhl shares the same building.
I was pleased that you were able to sample the very wide range of delights of our breakfast bar, which includes the classic Continental breakfast; a special Fitness breakfast with freshly squeezed juices and cereals etc.; a superb buffet breakfast and also a special "live cooking" area where one can order made-on-the-spot omelettes and also a variety of cooked eggs : scrambled, fried, poached etc.
The breakfast bar is located in the beautifully refurbished Colonial Café restaurant with the huge picture windows overlooking the bay and the Promenade des Anglais.
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I do hope that you will be able to return to us, maybe for a leisure trip next time.

Reviewed December 10, 2010

We booked two seaview rooms for my husband and I and our two daughters. Our daughters had a room that directly faced the sea with two twins beds that was lovely and comfortable. My husband and I had a corner room with a view of the sea and the city that was breathtaking. I was so worried based upon reviews of the hotel saying things weren't what they appeared on the website. We weren't disappointed. The room was very comfortable and lovely. It is centrally located as folks had mentioned. We could walk everywhere we wanted to and when we felt like it we took a local bus to a nearby city or to museums within the city for only a Euro. We hated to leave! Hotel staff was wonderful and very helpful. We didn't like the fact that there was no internet access even in the hotel lounge.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2010

Dear Newbie47,
So glad that you all enjoyed your recent stay with us.
I was particularly pleased that you found the team helpful and friendly - I'll ensure that your comments are shared with them.
We are indeed situated in an excellent location, ideal for both parents and their children, overlooking the Mediterranean yet within walking distance of many major attractions.
The hotel is ideally located with Cannes and Antibes being approximately 30 kms away to the west and Monaco approximately 30 kms away to the east.
I was glad to read that you were able to visit some of the area due to the excellent bus services available. One can catch a bus to any destination in the Alpes Maritimes for just €1 per person !
I did take note of your remarks concerning the lack of internet access and this is being remeded - wifi is currently being installed and will be available throughout the whole hotel very shortly.
Whenever your travel plans bring you back to the area, I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again.