“Not a Business Hotel”
Review of Le Meridien Nice

Le Meridien Nice
Ranked #83 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This property was apparently voted "Best Romantic Getaway." But I came for a conference, and support for the business traveler was poor. I was in a typical room on the "Starwood Preferred Guest" floor, the sixth floor. I wanted to take a shower on the first morning. but the cold water tap would not turn on in my bathroom -- in a Starwood property??? There was no desk in the room. There was only one chair, not adjustable in height (for laptop use). The Internet cable outlet was on top of the tall mini-bar, if you put a laptop there you would need to stand up whenever using it. There was no power point near the mini-bar, in any case. The sole free power point was underneath the TV set at the foot of the beds (not near anywhere a laptop could easily be placed). Only a shaver power point in the bathroom, but you can crawl under the sink and use the 220V hair-dryer outlet if you need 'real' power to charge your batteries...The bedding was good - although two single beds pushed against each other made for a 'double bed', apparently. Clean, non-smoking floor. Oh, and did I mention that the air-conditioning controls on the wall did nothing? Cooling under 22C or heating over 26C were limited by a central override, apparently (yes, I know the management is going to tell me they will send a maintenance guy, but I happen to have designed air-conditioning systems and know exactly how this unit was controlled.) The window did open 10cm at nights, but not enough to cool the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank trevmar
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear trevmar,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Nice for your conference.
So glad that you enjoyed the bedding and the Italian style bed and that you appreciated the cleanliness of the hotel.
Kindly accept our apologies regarding the cold water shower tap in your classic room, which we hope was rectified without delay.

Following the information you provided, we were able to identify you and the room occupied and therefore wish to add complementary information.
You are correct in stating that there isn’t a desk in the room. However, the internet cable is very long (+2m) and can quite easily be pulled to the neighboring table with the comfy chair. The internet cable outlet also has 3 power points for charging batteries etc. WiFi is also provided.

We do apologize for the fact that the air conditioning had not been switched on, due to varying temperatures prior to your stay.

We sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at a future date. Please contact the Guest Experience Team, should you need any help with your booking.
In the meantime,

Pablo Bandala

Write a ReviewReviews (2,206)

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I had a wonderful stay in the hotel over the past weekend.

As a SPG Platinum member, I was upgraded to a panoramic sea-view suite with personal terrace and sunbeds overlooking the Mediterranean Sea.

Location-wise, the hotel is extremely centrally located. 35 Euros each way from the Nice airport (think a bus stop is nearby for airport buses but that would take double the time compared to taxis), right on the Promenade, 15 minutes easy walk to the main square, old town, shopping area and 20 mins walk to the main train station, Gare de Nice. There are numerous shopping (luxurious boutiques) and food options within 5 minutes walk from the hotel, and if required, there is a McDonalds right next to the hotel.

The staff were all immensely friendly and helpful, which made my weekend break really awesome!

Room Tip: Request for a sea-view room
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank nemrac_coco
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear nemrac_coco,
Thank you so much for your review about the enjoyable experience you had at Le Méridien Nice over the past weekend .
We were particularly delighted that the team was helpful and I’ll ensure that your comments are shared with them all.
We aim for our guests to feel comfortable and even spoilt, so it is really rewarding for us to read that we succeeded!
We hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel is very central and I strongly recommend getting a room with terrace and sea view. If you arrive at the same time as a group you must prepare yourself for total anarchy! They don't have ropes to keep the line organized and if you get stuck in the wrong line you will be there for a while! The hotel doesn't offer express checkout so same issues arise at checkout. The rooms are very nice and clean. The staff is helpful and nice. Prices for WiFi and breakfast are outrageous if they are not part of your package! If you come by car, there's a big public parking just under hotel. Annoyed by 1. no toilet brush in toilet 2. only one bar of soap in bathroom and 3. didn't put a new bar of soap for second day of stay but left the old 1/2 used one! 4. no ashtray on table outside nor a dish where to put munchies to eat.

Room Tip: Get room with terrace and sea view, it's worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WorldofMike

Dear Marco C
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.
So glad that you enjoyed a room with terrace and sea view and that you found the rooms very nice and clean.
We are delighted that you found the staff helpful and nice – thank you for giving them a special mention, we will ensure that your comments are shared with them.
Groups are usually greeted within the conference area to liberate the reception for other guests and we can only assume that this was an exception during your stay. Please accept our apologies on that account.
With regards to your comments about our WiFi charges, we addressed this issue and therefore free Wifi is available in the lobby.
We have duly noted the couple of things that annoyed you and wish to thank you for bringing them to our attention. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.
Hoping to be able to welcome you back to Le Méridien Nice in the not too distant future.
Best regards,

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

As others have indicated- a wonderful location. Wonderful view of the Mediterranean, close to old town. The service is great. The rooms are ok size. Temperature of the rooms seemed very warm and did not respond to the controls for adjustment.Resturant and bar service was very good. Visit the 9the floor for a wonderful salad and view of the Cote de Azure.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear LLenke,
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments further to your recent stay.
We are delighted to know how much you enjoyed your time at Le Méridien Nice and do hope to be able to welcome you again for your next stay in Nice.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I've stayed here for 4 nights and I didn't have much time to explore all the hotel facilities cos I was in a training. However, for me, this hotel is really good option to stay in Nice.

All the staff were friendlies all the time I needed, the breakfast it was very impressive and offered many options and the room it's good for me. Confortable bed, good shower and the most important, it was clean.

I think that the best feature in this hotel is the location. There are many things to do around the hotel. You have many stores, restaurants, many souvenir stores, parks and you are to the front of the Promenade with a fantastic view.

For the gamblers, there is a cassino in the same sidewalk. It's not in the same level of Vegas but it's good to spent some time and waste some euros.

I should make one critic to hotel. The prices in the restaurant are too high for me, for example 2 beers and one steak 77 EUR, it's to much.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ferla,

Thank you for having chosen Le Méridien Nice for your training course.

We indeed enjoy a first class corner site in a very modern building with beautiful views over the Mediterranean and also overlooking the old town behind the Albert 1st gardens.

We are delighted that you appreciated the breakfast experience where we cater for all tastes. The buffet breakfast includes freshly squeezed orange juice and many other fruit juices; all sorts of various breads and even pancakes and pastries; delicious jams such as blueberry, cherry, raspberry, peach etc.; various fresh and dried fruit; a large cooked breakfast; fresh yoghurts and cream cheese; and last but not by any means least, Congee Chinese Soup.

We are so pleased that you found the staff remarkably friendly and helpful. Guest satisfaction is essential to us and it is really rewarding to read that we managed to achieve it to such an extent. I’ll ensure that your comments are shared with everyone of them

Thank you also for the remainder of your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Le Méridien Nice !
Very best regards

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights along with my wife and 2 year old son. We had booked the standard room which we found had poor natural ventilation. We tried to upgrade at check in and were shown a lovely room on level 6 with a sea view. The incremental cost was Euro 70 per night, which they subsequently reduced to Euro 40, but instead of the sea view room were offering a similar room with City view. Our concern was to do with our son's breathing problems so met the Manager as well. But they had limited flexibility with the carnival rush over the weekend. We ended up buying a humidifier as the hotel could not provide one. I would have expected more flexibility from a hotel such as Le Meridien, so was a tad bit disappointed.

other highlights/lowpoints:

1) The air conditioning in the room did not work. We were provided with a portable heater (not advisable in my book given we had a mobile 2 year old kid in the room). The heater was hooked to the room mains. So we could only use the heater with the lights on. The hotel electrician could not sort that out.

2) The service on the Terrace (roof top restaurant is very poor. You have to wait forever to catch their attention. For small things like getting a glass of water or extra napkins, you might as well do it yourself.

3) A hotel of this stature should not be charging extra for wifi. Free wifi is quite standard in most hotels these days, so that came as a surprise as I hadn't even bothered to check for that when booking. And free wifi in the lobby does not compensate.

But all is not lost ...

1. The reception and other staff is friendly and very helpful. Room service is also very good. We were especially impressed with George who took extra effort in making sure all our requests for warming baby's milk, food, cleaning stuff was promptly done.

2. The service and food at the restaurant on lobby level is very good. The highlight was the Long Island Ice Tea I had. It was without doubt the best I have ever had (And I have had a fair share ;)). I had one at the nearby Hard Rock Cafe, which did not quite measure up.

3. And most of all you cannot beat the location. It was great to watch the carnival from the hotel rooftop restaurant

I loved Nice and it will certainly be my annual destination. For my next trip, will I straightaway book Le Meridien again or will I go to Hotel comparison sites I more time. It will probably be the latter. I think that is a lot opportunity for the hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel is mostly about the location. So, pick the room with the sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Gaurav B
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Gaurav B,
Thank you for writing such an exhaustive review further to your recent stay with your family at Le Méridien Nice.
We’ll endeavour to reply to all the points you raised.

Firstly, let us express our thanks for praising the staff in general and with a special mention for George, the butler. We’ll ensure that your comments are shared with all of them.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the service and food at the restaurant Colonial Café on the lobby level. The team will appreciate knowing that you experienced the best ever Long Island Ice Tea – thank you.

It’s true that our location is indeed an asset, opposite the beach yet within walking distance of both the old town and the pedestrian zone and last but no means least, opposite the recently opened Green Strip with its 30 acres of park land including trees and water features, running through the centre of Nice from the MAMAC (Modern and Contemporary Art Museum) to the Mediterranean Sea, creating a more eco-friendly city centre for pedestrians.

Please accept our apologies for the issue with the portable room heater.
We appreciate your comments regarding the roof top restaurant service and WiFi charges which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

In the meantime,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

After having lived in Nice for a good few years and working in the hospitality industry myself, I did not hesitate to reserve a weekend in le meridien when I visited nice for the weekend.
We reserved a family room for myself, my partner and our two children, one 13 the other 13 weeks. Like many others I had read trip advisors comments, many of which had negative comments about the customer service, but I always try to make my own decisions.
I have to say the location is exceptional, the rooftop bar is beautiful and the rooms spacious with a large balcony. I was however extremely disappointed by the customer service. It can only be described as chalk and cheese.
Upon arriving there were 3 receptionists, I unfortunately fell on one whom was rude, moody and un enthusiastic. She even answered the phone in the middle of a conversation with us without an excuse moi , just talk the call! If the manager would like me to name this girl please ask! On the other hand, the man that was there and the second girl were lovely, warming and professional.
Also the bar is the same story.... 20 mins to take an order for coffee, when you stand to ask ( as you are bored of waiting) the waitresses do their best to disappear when they have blatantly seen you, leaving the poor waiter to do all the work alone!
Unfortunately these individuals ruin the hotel, without them it would be full of cheerful people and smoothly run. The only other downfall would be the lack of iPhone docs that most modern hotels at this kind of price have. All in all the perfection is not far... Just loose the lazy individuals!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank clareStLaurentDuVar
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear ClareStLaurentDuVar,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Nice for your recent trip with your family to Nice.
We do appreciate you taking the time to give us a full feedback of your stay, as guest experience is essential to us.
Our location is indeed an asset and we are pleased that you found the rooftop bar beautiful and that the family room was to your liking.
However, please accept our apologies for some of the employees’ attitude. Your comments will be discussed with the front desk, restaurant and training managers about your experience, in order to pro-actively resolve this situation and avoid a similar reoccurrence in the future and we would therefore appreciate you sending us an e-mail, for the attention of the Executive Assistant, with full details, as you kindly offered.
Hoping to be able to welcome you back to Le Méridien Nice.