“A wonderful location with a view”
Review of Le Meridien Nice

Le Meridien Nice
Ranked #83 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

As others have indicated- a wonderful location. Wonderful view of the Mediterranean, close to old town. The service is great. The rooms are ok size. Temperature of the rooms seemed very warm and did not respond to the controls for adjustment.Resturant and bar service was very good. Visit the 9the floor for a wonderful salad and view of the Cote de Azure.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear LLenke,
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments further to your recent stay.
We are delighted to know how much you enjoyed your time at Le Méridien Nice and do hope to be able to welcome you again for your next stay in Nice.

Pablo Bandala

Write a ReviewReviews (2,206)

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I've stayed here for 4 nights and I didn't have much time to explore all the hotel facilities cos I was in a training. However, for me, this hotel is really good option to stay in Nice.

All the staff were friendlies all the time I needed, the breakfast it was very impressive and offered many options and the room it's good for me. Confortable bed, good shower and the most important, it was clean.

I think that the best feature in this hotel is the location. There are many things to do around the hotel. You have many stores, restaurants, many souvenir stores, parks and you are to the front of the Promenade with a fantastic view.

For the gamblers, there is a cassino in the same sidewalk. It's not in the same level of Vegas but it's good to spent some time and waste some euros.

I should make one critic to hotel. The prices in the restaurant are too high for me, for example 2 beers and one steak 77 EUR, it's to much.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ferla,

Thank you for having chosen Le Méridien Nice for your training course.

We indeed enjoy a first class corner site in a very modern building with beautiful views over the Mediterranean and also overlooking the old town behind the Albert 1st gardens.

We are delighted that you appreciated the breakfast experience where we cater for all tastes. The buffet breakfast includes freshly squeezed orange juice and many other fruit juices; all sorts of various breads and even pancakes and pastries; delicious jams such as blueberry, cherry, raspberry, peach etc.; various fresh and dried fruit; a large cooked breakfast; fresh yoghurts and cream cheese; and last but not by any means least, Congee Chinese Soup.

We are so pleased that you found the staff remarkably friendly and helpful. Guest satisfaction is essential to us and it is really rewarding to read that we managed to achieve it to such an extent. I’ll ensure that your comments are shared with everyone of them

Thank you also for the remainder of your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Le Méridien Nice !
Very best regards

Reviewed March 8, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights along with my wife and 2 year old son. We had booked the standard room which we found had poor natural ventilation. We tried to upgrade at check in and were shown a lovely room on level 6 with a sea view. The incremental cost was Euro 70 per night, which they subsequently reduced to Euro 40, but instead of the sea view room were offering a similar room with City view. Our concern was to do with our son's breathing problems so met the Manager as well. But they had limited flexibility with the carnival rush over the weekend. We ended up buying a humidifier as the hotel could not provide one. I would have expected more flexibility from a hotel such as Le Meridien, so was a tad bit disappointed.

other highlights/lowpoints:

1) The air conditioning in the room did not work. We were provided with a portable heater (not advisable in my book given we had a mobile 2 year old kid in the room). The heater was hooked to the room mains. So we could only use the heater with the lights on. The hotel electrician could not sort that out.

2) The service on the Terrace (roof top restaurant is very poor. You have to wait forever to catch their attention. For small things like getting a glass of water or extra napkins, you might as well do it yourself.

3) A hotel of this stature should not be charging extra for wifi. Free wifi is quite standard in most hotels these days, so that came as a surprise as I hadn't even bothered to check for that when booking. And free wifi in the lobby does not compensate.

But all is not lost ...

1. The reception and other staff is friendly and very helpful. Room service is also very good. We were especially impressed with George who took extra effort in making sure all our requests for warming baby's milk, food, cleaning stuff was promptly done.

2. The service and food at the restaurant on lobby level is very good. The highlight was the Long Island Ice Tea I had. It was without doubt the best I have ever had (And I have had a fair share ;)). I had one at the nearby Hard Rock Cafe, which did not quite measure up.

3. And most of all you cannot beat the location. It was great to watch the carnival from the hotel rooftop restaurant

I loved Nice and it will certainly be my annual destination. For my next trip, will I straightaway book Le Meridien again or will I go to Hotel comparison sites I more time. It will probably be the latter. I think that is a lot opportunity for the hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel is mostly about the location. So, pick the room with the sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Gaurav B
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear Gaurav B,
Thank you for writing such an exhaustive review further to your recent stay with your family at Le Méridien Nice.
We’ll endeavour to reply to all the points you raised.

Firstly, let us express our thanks for praising the staff in general and with a special mention for George, the butler. We’ll ensure that your comments are shared with all of them.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the service and food at the restaurant Colonial Café on the lobby level. The team will appreciate knowing that you experienced the best ever Long Island Ice Tea – thank you.

It’s true that our location is indeed an asset, opposite the beach yet within walking distance of both the old town and the pedestrian zone and last but no means least, opposite the recently opened Green Strip with its 30 acres of park land including trees and water features, running through the centre of Nice from the MAMAC (Modern and Contemporary Art Museum) to the Mediterranean Sea, creating a more eco-friendly city centre for pedestrians.

Please accept our apologies for the issue with the portable room heater.
We appreciate your comments regarding the roof top restaurant service and WiFi charges which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

We sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back at a future date.
In the meantime,

Reviewed March 3, 2014

After having lived in Nice for a good few years and working in the hospitality industry myself, I did not hesitate to reserve a weekend in le meridien when I visited nice for the weekend.
We reserved a family room for myself, my partner and our two children, one 13 the other 13 weeks. Like many others I had read trip advisors comments, many of which had negative comments about the customer service, but I always try to make my own decisions.
I have to say the location is exceptional, the rooftop bar is beautiful and the rooms spacious with a large balcony. I was however extremely disappointed by the customer service. It can only be described as chalk and cheese.
Upon arriving there were 3 receptionists, I unfortunately fell on one whom was rude, moody and un enthusiastic. She even answered the phone in the middle of a conversation with us without an excuse moi , just talk the call! If the manager would like me to name this girl please ask! On the other hand, the man that was there and the second girl were lovely, warming and professional.
Also the bar is the same story.... 20 mins to take an order for coffee, when you stand to ask ( as you are bored of waiting) the waitresses do their best to disappear when they have blatantly seen you, leaving the poor waiter to do all the work alone!
Unfortunately these individuals ruin the hotel, without them it would be full of cheerful people and smoothly run. The only other downfall would be the lack of iPhone docs that most modern hotels at this kind of price have. All in all the perfection is not far... Just loose the lazy individuals!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank clareStLaurentDuVar
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear ClareStLaurentDuVar,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Méridien Nice for your recent trip with your family to Nice.
We do appreciate you taking the time to give us a full feedback of your stay, as guest experience is essential to us.
Our location is indeed an asset and we are pleased that you found the rooftop bar beautiful and that the family room was to your liking.
However, please accept our apologies for some of the employees’ attitude. Your comments will be discussed with the front desk, restaurant and training managers about your experience, in order to pro-actively resolve this situation and avoid a similar reoccurrence in the future and we would therefore appreciate you sending us an e-mail, for the attention of the Executive Assistant, with full details, as you kindly offered.
Hoping to be able to welcome you back to Le Méridien Nice.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Smart hotel overlooking sea and very central, short walk along promenade to Vieux Nice, the flower market and bars and restaurants. Just behind hotel are the smart pedestrian ways with cafés, shops and more restaurants. The airport buses stop just beside the hotel. There is a fantastic rooftop terrace bar and a small pool. We stayed in a superior sea view room, from which we could watch the Carnival processions. Service efficient.

Room Tip: Rooms either overlook seafront or the park, which is also fine
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jill B
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Upon arrival (about 5pm), having booked a classic double room, we enquired about upgrading to a room with a sea view. We were told there was a room available for an extra €100 (our initial room cost €103).

When we went up we discovered that it was a twin room and were very disappointed as it was a romantic weekend away. If we had been told this in the first place we wouldn't have accepted the change and therefore not found our "courtyard view" (a view of some stones and the interior of the hotel, not great!) very disappointing.

The bed was amazing, huge and very comfortable. I did find a hair in the bath when I went for a shower which wasn't ideal and the shower was very weak. Not what I would expect from such an expensive hotel.

It is in a great location with apparently a great rooftop bar, but we weren't told this by any of the hotel staff so we didn't go! It is within a few minutes walk of the old town so you can get to a lot of good restaurants etc within about 10 mins walk. It is above a McDonald's if that's what you fancy. That maybe where you want to go to use the internet as the WiFi in the hotel is expensive and EXTRA. Very not cool when paying over €100 per night.

Overall the experience wasn't as good as we had hoped for the cost but we had a good night out in Nice so didn't dwell on it. I would recommend if you want a sea view and don't mind paying for it - but if you aren't getting a sea view it is pretty expensive and you can probably find a cheaper place just as nice a road or 2 away from the beach.

Room Tip: Courtyard view is really nothing to write home about! The sea view that we saw was great but expensi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear MCsound2
We are delighted that you chose Le Méridien Nice for your romantic getaway and feel you should know that we have been awarded with the “SPG Most Romantic Retreat” for the 2nd year running!

We can understand your predicament with regards to the range of rooms to choose from but we are sure that the sea view room upgrade was a good choice. In fact, your room was equipped with “Italian beds”, resulting in a 2 meter wide double bed.

In fact, wifi is available free of charge in the lobby area of the hotel if one doesn’t want the extra expense of wifi in room.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back at a future date.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 4 days in fall 2013 on a vacation. You can't ask for a better location than this! The hotel is right next to the beach, shopping, restaurants and everything. We had a terrace in our room with amazing Riviera view. The room is nice and modern but our bathroom is slightly small.

The front desk desk staff were not very warm and friendly when we checked in. Even though we are SPG platinum member, we were not given an upgrade or special greeting upon arrival. They do need more improvement in my option compared with some other SPG hotels around the world. The breakfast buffet was great with lots of selections and the staff at the restaurant were very helpful. The swimming pool has a nice view on the roof top but it closed quite early.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple