“Good luxury hotel”

Ranked #75 of 205 Hotels in Nice
New York City, New York
“Good luxury hotel”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Generally, we were quite satisfied with our stay - we were here for 36 hrs in July. Can't say we absolutely loved it (nothing striking happened) but the stay was of consistent quality and the service was excellent, especially for France (Note that I am not making sweeping statements about France. It is just that, in my personal experience, service tends to be somewhat inconsistent in quality.
Pros:
- service up to par for the stars of the hotel. Mailed my correspondence, took our luggage to our rooms, very helpful all around.
- free wifi in the lobby. Obviously, given that this is a luxury hotel, not in the rooms.
- relatively spacious rooms (at least for my taste). We had the standard
- location! Location! Location! I mean the best in town
- nice spacious bathroom and a real hair drier
- can print boarding passes free of charge. Can print other things for free if you send an email to the front desk (ask them first)
- i liked the gym - good aerobic machines. I think if you wanted weight training, this is probably not it. However, never really been to a hotel gym that was particularly amazing for weight training.

Cons:
- The roof top pool sucks. There are no lounge beds, only chairs and couches. You can lie on the couches but you have to be pretty shameless, given that other people would be eating lunch right next to you.
- sauna/hamman are not free. 20 euros
- the beds are terrible for le meridien standards. Very stiff. They need to upgrade!!
- no beach access. Discounted lounge beds (still not cheap) at a private beach club across the street. On the upside there is public beach access and other (cheaper beach clubs) less than 200m away from the hotel. Not a problem for us though - Nice beaches and their pebbles (read - huge rocks and no sand what so ever) are just not for us.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank olgae
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear olgae,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the consistent quality of your stay and that the service was to your complete satisfaction.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Le Méridien Nice on a future trip to Europe.

Pablo Bandala

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed July 11, 2013

If you are looking for a real Nice experience, this is the place to stay. The location cannot be beat, with easy walking distance to everything. We had two rooms on the ocean/promenade side. Both had sliding glass doors and thus a fantastic sweeping view of the promenade and beach. The rooms were small, but as Jackie W states, clean and comfortable. The pricing scheme for the rooms in this hotel is complicated, be very clear about what you want, what you are getting, and what you are paying for it. This hotel is trying very hard to be edgy, hip and modern (a la the W properties)--if you like that sort of thing you will be very comfortable. The breakfast was OK, but the food in the restaurant upstairs, which is under control of a new chef, was very, very good, plus it would be hard to beat the view and ambiance. Dinner (a risotto dish) took way too long to arrive, but without complaining about it, the server comped our bottle of wine! No concierge at this hotel and the front desk staff is harried and close to worthless when it comes to assistance with food or activity recommendations. Pool is big enough for laps, work out room is close to useless, but there is a fitness club within 100 feet of the hotel with a E 25 per day fee. For runners the Promenade is great. Nice is undergoing a lot of construction in the main square area across from the hotel which made things a bit uncomfortable, and all the Tour de France activities caused the area to be very crowded and noisy, but this is all temporary.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, get an ocean view room on an upper floor. The street noise can be tough other...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Philip P
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Philip P,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.
So glad that you really liked Le Meridien Nice and that you enjoyed your room with sea views.
Our roof top La Terrasse restaurant, with lounge area, is one of the highest terrace restaurants on La Promenade des Anglais and as you said, offers spectacular views of the Mediterranean sea.
Thank you for giving the team a special mention.
Hope to see you again !

Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

The single thing going for this hotel is its location, perfectly placed for the beach, promenade, shops and restaurants. Unfortunately i think it trades on this and in particular if you have experienced true Le Meridian 4 star features and service elsewhere you may well be in a for a disappointment. The rooms are comfortable and spacious but that is about all you can say really. The service lacks an edge, too many frustrating things to raise any praise i'm afraid, my best example is ice, no machine so ask room service and yes they can bring you some at 5 euro.....really in a four star hotel?
Roof top terrace is lovely, a touch pricy but a great view, good service the perfect place for night cap after a meal out you would think? think again it stops serving at 10:30!
Net of all the niggles it just feels like a hotel not really focused on its customers.
Finally Wifi : I generally have rule not to stay anywhere without free Wifi, but as I said this has a great location for a short break, it costs 38 euro for 72 hrs which is a bit pricy for something most 21st century hotels provide free but that said when connected is very good quality.

My summary is great location just don't expect Le Meridian service, Starwoods could do themselves a favour and rebrand this hotel to save raised expectations.

1 Thank Dave A
Dear Dave A,
Thank you for having chosen to stay at Le Méridien Nice with your partner just recently.
I’m sure that you’ll be pleasantly surprised to know that we have been nominated Best Romantic Retreat Worldwide by our Starwood Preferred Guests for the 2nd year running!

There is indeed a service charge for delivering specific items to guest rooms and we are glad that the attendant informed you before you placed your order.

Delighted that you enjoyed the rooftop terrace.
Our lobby level bar (closing at 1.30 am) is the perfect place for a night cap with a view over the Promenade “by night”. Our barmen there have the flair of mixing a large variety of cocktails either with or without alcohol, can offer a large choice of Scotch, Irish, Canadian, Malt or Bourbon Whiskies, not to mention the liqueurs, beers, wines, champagnes...

Free wifi is provided in the lobby area of the hotel.

We sincerely do hope you will not judge us solely on the basis of this particular experience and that you’ll choose to stay with us again in the near future. If so, please feel free to contact the Guest Experience Team personally in order to assist with your booking arrangements.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel has an ideal location on the Promenade, pretty close to all the attractions (walking distance). Quite neat and clean rooms. The terrace on the roof top is a must see for the view and you can have a meal / drink there too. Its just not the prettiest hotel on the block compared to the others around it so next time I would try something else...

Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just returned from our fifth trip to Nice and Le Meridien and still enjoy it. As people have stated the location is perfect, easy to get to from the airport on a number 98 bus costs 6 euros each. This is very much a corporate hotel as opposed to a tourist one so maybe lacks some of the personal touch. We just have a standard room which suits our needs as we aren't really spending much time in it. Room small but bed and pillows were great ! No tea/coffee making facilities or iron in the room which I had I knew but had seen on a previous review and the response was "people might steal them', I find that quite strange as if your can afford to stay in this hotel why on earth would you want to steal a cheap kettle or iron ?

Beach across the road very pricey 44 euros for two of us for a sunlounger/towel and parasol per day ...gets more expensive every year ! Very large pebble beach so shoes you can wear in the sea are a good idea. I have a couple of nice bruises on the front of my leg where the underwater current picked up the pebbles (large) and smacked them against my leg or I slipped whilst going in the sea !

Staff are always very friendly not that we really needed much help. Lots of lovely restaurants all within walking distance.

My only one concern, and something I had not realised on previous visits was that floor 2 and 3 are not owned by Le meridien but by the Mercure hotel round the corner. the only reason I found this out was because I checked the fire exits and walked down the stairs only to find this floor blocked off by a large gate so really not sure what you do in the event of a fire and evacuation. I did query this with reception who said the gate would open, but no-one could tell me how, is is automatic, does someone have to unlock it ??

Bonus this time was we saw the time trials for the Tour de France, a Prom Party the night we arrived and fireworks !

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Jackie W,

A big thank you for being a loyal guest at Le Méridien Nice and also for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. Guest experience is what matters most and it is always rewarding to read that our guests were delighted.

It is true that the hotel’s location is a real asset.

You mentioned the building’s evacuation possibilities in the event of a fire. Kindly rest assured that Le Méridien Nice team have all been fire trained with repeat training sessions once a year. Apart from that, a general evacuation practise is held once a year. Also,a highly trained fire and ambulance team is on site 24/7.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed on SPG points in a basic room. I do wish I had read the reviews on spg.com to take the option to pay for an upgrade for a sea view - but we spent little time in the room.

Pros: Comfortable beds, nice modern decor, clean, although the room is small - it's efficiently designed. Love the main cafe area for convenience and there's good functioning wifi, computers, and printers off the lobby area. The terrace is AMAZING. Wifi worked up there - so it was a great place to get some work done during a cloudy spell or just chill out.

Cons: Wifi worked on my computer in the room, but didn't work at all on my iPhone or iPad. Know this if you are only traveling with a mobile device. It worked fine in common areas of the hotel - but I couldn't get signal in the room except for a corner where I stood on my tiptoes. Repeated calls for assistance - they wanted to help genuinely - but they couldn't add another wifi router/point near our room. I was lucky to have my computer which could pick up the signal. I will spend time on this b/c it is a "business class hotel" and I believe Internet access is critical. I believe they should renovate the bathrooms... but they are modern-enough and clean.

Front desk/concierge service was fantastic. They recommended some great places in Cap d'Ail and helped to call some lunch places. In the end, Le Meridien Nice was a great base for exploring the Cote d'Azur area - close to old Nice, tram lines, Velo Bleu bikes, beach if you want a full service/business hotel at your fingertips. We used the Sixt car rental in the lobby multiple times. It's not a quaint, serene southern France getaway hotel - but it was nice to have a more corporate hotel with amenities central to everything in the middle of our trip to help us catch up on work, organize for other destinations, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Visting Nice for Le Tour I chose the Le Meridien because it was a SPG hotel and also right on the expected route for the race, and of course of the location right on the Promenade des Anglais. From arrival to departure the staff went beyond any hotel experience I have had in France and that included front door to room service & restaurants. In particular I have to call Georges who was the room service manager who personally took time to check up and write a personal note to see how i was when he knew I had been down with a fever.

What makes the hotel beyond service is the location and view from the ocean facing rooms, the view and ambiance from the rooptop bar.

While a little old in decor and the rooms could probably benefit from a refurbishment those things are easily forgotten when service and facilities are so first class.

Room Tip: Book in advance if you can and pay a little extra for ocean view ....sometime the corner city view r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family