“Nothing Special”

Small-Group Half-Day Trip to Nice from Monaco
Ranked #9 of 173 things to do in Nice
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This Russian cathedral was built in the early 20th century in honor of the son of Aleksandr II tsarevich Nicolai, who died in Nice after failing to recover from tuberculosis.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It is 'different' from the outside, but, the inside (I am told) is nothing special.
Why am I told this, as I was refused entry as I had shorts on (Male). Not an issue though.
Be careful when you go, it has 'closing times' where the gates are locked.
There are other churches in Nice that are more pleasureable to view from an architectural prospective.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,655)
All reviews
in 19 reviews
"priest"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 19, 2013

This is a stunning cathedral to look at from the outside. We were unable to go in when we visited though it was not clear why that was. If you go up the small road to the left away from the main gate you can get a really good view of the cathedral. Getting there with the buggy wasn't so easy as the pavements towards are quite narrow.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This historic building is richly decorated inside with many icons, murals and carved woodwork. Note that it closes between 12-2 pm and you are not allowed in wearing shorts or beach wear. Ladies should be respectful and wear headscarf, however they are available upon entry. Although I could go in, my husband wearing shorts was not allowed.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Unexpected to see this in Nice! but it is real.
It is in France and is really fantastic! Worth a visit!

1  Thank Abel480
See more reviews
Reviewed July 2, 2013

When I first researched Nice this was the number one destination for me. Amazing architecture and something just a little bit unusual. As it turned out the day we went to see it was one of the worst of our trip weather wise as it poured it down and then some. It is certainly an awe inspiring building but did not have chance to savour the sight as we were so keen to get in out of the rain. The first thing that struck me was the sign outside with all the things that are forbidden, both in the cathedral and around the grounds! Very authoritarian.

Inside is small but atmospheric, and since we were soaked to the skin, freezing cold. We spent some time watching one of the worshippers teaching his son to pray in the orthodox way which was really interesting to watch. When they closed for lunch we were all rushed out quite quickly and no one was allowed to loiter taking photos of the exterior as we were shouted at quite brusquely when we attempted this. I wonder if I would rate this higher had the day been nicer and we had arrived earlier with more time to take it all in.