“Very comfortable”

Ranked #18 of 204 Hotels in Nice
London
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed January 25, 2007

I am little surprised to see some of the negative reviews as we had a very lovely time at the Negresco, and I'm usually quite difficult to please.
We were given an upgrade from a double to a junior suite on arrival (I had booked through the Leading Hotels of the World website) and we were shown to our room courteously and efficiently, with a little box of complimentary chocolates. I do agree the hotel is a bit "old fashioned" looking but then it is quite unique and we certainly didn't have any plastic headboard coverings. I also enjoying looking at the antiques in our room and on each floor.
I agree the Rotonda restaurant decor is rather camp and a bit strange, but for one day's dining it was quite funny and ok - the prices there are reasonable for the Riviera. For breakfast we usually had it in our room as we had a lovely view of the sea and the breakfast isn't included in our tariff.
I should add that there are charges in summer for using the Negresco's beach facilities but this is quite common in Nice and Cannes. (15 euros per person for the day)
The Michelin starred gourmet restaurant, Le Chantecleer, is tastefully furnished, elegant, excellent service and food, and not too overpriced.
PS. They were also very helpful when we needed to hire a car for one day - they had a reputable, English-speaking agent who got the car delivered over directly to our hotel (to save us hunting for car hire), and explained the terms and conditions efficiently, with only a small service charge, which was worth paying to avoid the hassle.
The only small niggle was that there were small errors with bill items (like charging for 2 coffees instead of 1, or forgetting to bring an invoice up with room service), but the receptionist was quick to correct these without any quibbles.
Overall, one of the most comfortable, efficient and pleasant hotels I've ever stayed at in Europe.

• Liked — The spacious room and service
  • Disliked — The brasserie decor is rather odd
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank MsJetset

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 12, 2007

A superb hotel situated in an unrivalled location in the heart of Nice. A truly beautiful setting right on the Promenade offers magically breathtaking panorama of the Bay of Angels. We stayed in the Marquise de Pompadour Suite (Suite 512 - featuring a small balcony facing the sea). The room itself, although furnished with valuable antiques, appeared a bit cheesy, particularly with the gold tubs and toilet, not to mention the plastic covered headboard and even the silk wall panels were covered in vinyl. It looked and felt ridiculous in a hotel of this price and category. Not to make a big fuss over such trivial details as we had a very enjoyable stay. We definitely recommend this hotel and will certainly return on our next visit to Nice.

• Liked — The fantastic view
  • Disliked — The rooms could be cheered up a bit
  • Tips/Secrets — Book any ocean facing rooms for a memorable view
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
31 Thank PourPaul
London
Reviewed October 31, 2006

I stayed in a "superior" sea-view room at the Negresco in the final days of October 2006.

Never, in 30 years of travel, have I encountered such a renowned hotel in such desperate need of attention.

The building is a magnificent one-off; it occupies an enviable sea-front position; it contains many art treasures and much character -- but, oh dear, oh dear, the facilities are so faded and out of date that one wonders what the owners of this hotel can be thinking of.

If you enjoy turn of the (nineteenth) century plumbing, lighting, bedding (blankets!) and just about every other faded facility in the rooms (and yes they really do have single sheets of lavatory paper which would be an embarassment in a 2 star boarding house!) then this is the place for you.

The Negresco needs a massive make-over which retains its unique, historic character but which brings its facilities, subtly and carefully, into the world of the 5 star hotel in the 21st Century.

Does the family that owns the hotel have the wisdom to make such an investment? I hope so. Otherwise this potentially magical place will fade, and surely die, and the French Riviera would be the poorer.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
20 Thank YetAnotherLondoner
New York
Reviewed October 12, 2006

As with an earlier review, was bounced from Le Palais Med (btw very nice upon our return).

Had stayed at the Negresco a decade or so ago. It was declining then and nothing has been improved--there is more art and very expensive spotty WiFi, that's it. They boast that "Madame" the owner is VERY involved. It was clear then and imperative now that she become less involved.

"Upgraded" to a "deluxe garden sea view" and can't image what a superior would be like--rack rate in off season 450 euros! As others have noted:
1. Unbelievable bathrooms--chipped tile (blue and tan), formica counter tops--which are worse than a renovated 2 star in europe.
3. Awful linens--scratchy sheets, foam pillows so old that they were crumbling and smelled awful, fringed, pilled blankets and no top sheet. towels small and literally threadbare--unworthy of a 1 star, much less a five star. Not to mention the lovely note letting you know that the maids are responsible for linens and should you "desire" them, a pricelist. 40 euros for a circa 1950 USSR bath towel? Unfortunately, Madame is clearly not joking.
3. Ancient beds--twins were short, soft and saggy.
4. Dated decor, yes each room is unique--we saw several, passed on an upgrade for 100 euro with gold flecked plastic tub and basins--but hideous, the furniture is chipped, fabrics faded and color choices odd (chartreuse, red, brown and a blue ceilng). Everything is off: A plastic slipcover on the headboard? FauxFur bed spread? A $3 halogen light leaning in the corner? Madame must be nuts.
5. Spotty housekeeping, beyond the mildew mentioned above, everything in the room was a little dusty to the point we were leery of touching the walls or walking in bare feet.

The public spaces could be nice, but they also haven't been updated in decades--I can't imagine that even those who love "faded European elegance" can be charmed by the dirty carpets, chipped paint, threadbare carpets, dirty lampshades and dark halls.

And, there's no gym, no food available in the bar, a truly bizarre casual restaurant (moving carousel horses and automated muscians with your breakfast...) that's cramped and ignores the seaview.

Clearly in the off season overrun with coach tours, if not conferences.

Only redeeming quality was the clearly long-suffering, but sympathetic staff.

Avoid, avoid, avoid at all costs.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
14 Thank ez2plsNYC
Reviewed October 11, 2006

I had made reservations in January, 2006 for a 2 night stay at Le Palais de la Mediterranee which had been confirmed, in writing, 2 weeks prior to our arrival. We had just disembarked from a Med. cruise on the Silver Whisper. When our driver pulled up to the Palais, a doorman came out and announced the hotel was full. At that point, the manager of the Le Palais, came out to greet us and inform us that a "delegation" had decided to stay on and therefore there was not a room for us. He had taken the liberty to book us at The Negresco. Having done my research on this property, I accepted his offer, knowing that the Hotel Negresco had more charm than creature comforts. He thanked us with a chilled bottle of Tattinger champange, delivered to our room at the Negresco.
Upon entering the very large room with a sea view (1 st floor), I felt like I had entered an old European castle room decorated for royalty. Everything in the room appeared to be antique. Unfortunately, it looked more comfortable than it was. The pillows were small and flat, there was not a chair for lounging and the lighting wasn't good. I think the room had just been newly painted as it smelled of fresh paint. I opened the balcony door and slept with the windows open. The bathroom was large. It had a double sink and has been previously posted only body wash, shampoo and soap for bath amenities. There was a toilet (with 5x5 sheets of toilet paper) and a bidet. I guess that explained the strange toilet paper. When showering, water got all over the floor because of the moveable half-sized shower glass.
There was a flat screen TV (about 17") with a computer keyboard below it. It was very out of place in the room and had very few stations in English. The first night, my husband was not feeling well, so we ate early, came back to find the room partially turned down but finished. I turned the lock on the door and we went to bed (around 9:45). The next thing I know, the maid has unlocked the door and is coming in to finish the turn down! I met her at the door, took our chocolates and said bon soir. I've never had that happen before.
Breakfast was included for us but it was nothing to write home about. Very few choices of anything and service was slow.
The high point was the concierge desk. They were very helpful with everything we asked. The restaurants they recommended were fabulous and not pricey. They even arranged for us to have early room service for breakfast (6:30 a.m.) instead of the usual 7:00 a.m.
All in all, I was glad we stayed there just so we could say we tried it. I know I would have preferred Le Palais de le Mediterranee as it is only 2 years old. After reading that they did this to someone else a week earlier bothers me as it seems to be becoming a practice of overbooking. I booked through Leading Hotels of the World and plan on letting them know of our disappointment.

• Liked — The historic ambience
  • Disliked — The amenities
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank itzfitz
Lancaster, PA
Reviewed October 7, 2006

I love the Trip Advisor website and I am always faithful about posting my experiences because I have found it to be extemely helpful when I am planning my next adventure. The Hotel Negresco has a wonderful location on the Promenade des Anglais and the turquoise sea could be seen from our room/balcony. We landed right after noon and the hotel allowed us to check-in early; we showered and hit the streets. We had a lovely dinner on the beach(The Lido) and could not believe how blue the water was. The weather was perfect. The waiter at the restaurant pointed us in the direction of a great wine shop several streets down and we then proceded to buy seven bottles of French wine for our eight days in Provence (we kept the box in the back of our tour coach and bought wine at almost every stop). After reading about 8 euros for a glass of simple white wine, we knew we had to do something different.
Breakfast looked overpriced for what was offered so we purchased local cheeses, croissant and fruits for our morning meal which we had looking out our balcony. We only stayed one night but the staff was very helpful, especially the concierge, and the rooms had lots of "Old World" charm. The rate was a bit stiff but our tour was meeting in the lobby the next day and we chose this location for convenience. I agree they could renovate and give a better value to their guests but everything in Europe is expensive.

I changed money at the lobby exchequer and received a horrible rate...go to the local ATM before you do this. Take the time to look at all the artwork, there are pieces on every floor. We took several hours and walked Old Nice. How delightful.

The bathrooms were o.k., always a challenge in Europe. All in all, you probably could find a better fit for a longer stay with a boutique hotel; but for us, it was terrific. We were in Provence.

• Liked — Location, artwork
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank venice6950
Napa, California
Reviewed September 27, 2006

I booked a stay at Le Palais in Nice. Upon arrival, the general manager apologized and said that a convention had overbooked -- our room was gone. He transfered us to the Negresco -- his choice, not ours. I had my doubts.

It was awful.

To be fair, the location on the Promenade des Anglais is terrific and the decor, for some people, is eclectically artistic and interesting. For us, the front desk service was fine and the concierge very helpful (directions, internet connection, etc.). The view from our room was very good -- overlooking the beachfront.

To be direct, the rooms are ancient. The bathrooms are dark, gloomy and poorly equipped (eg. no rolls of toilet paper, but rather a dispenser of 5" x 5" sheets). The decor seemed appropriate for visiting dignitaries in the 1895-1935 period. Dignified and a little campy for that time. For this era, just old and musty. The bar and restaurants were off putting: stiff, formal and uninviting.

After reading all the comments on this site, it seems that almost all Americans hate it while many Europeans like it. I can understand this difference in tastes and traditions.

For me, however, the Negresco is milking a previous prominence and failing to meet the most basic standards of a luxury hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid it