“Wow!”
Review of Hotel Negresco

Hotel Negresco
Ranked #18 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I've now stayed at Le Negresco on 2 occasions. The second time around was just as fantastic as my first stay. The room was quite large & comfortable. The staff were very helpful. The view of the promenade & the Bay of Angels is an absolute picture. I look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joe V
There are newer reviews for Hotel Negresco

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We ate dinner at the Negresco on Maundy Thursday this year.The food was superb as well as the service.
The dining room staff were brilliant,professional, relaxed and chatty as well.
It was great value for money we will certainly go again

Room Tip: We didn't stay at the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This was our second stay at this very unique hotel. The hundreds of works of art , paintings, sculptures, tapestries, furniture etc are stunning and make The Negresco very special. Our check in was quick and very friendly. We had a sea view room on the 3rd floor. The room was large and the bed immense and very comfortable. The room needs to have the carpet replaced. The bathroom was very spacious with a large red, sparkly bath, two hand basins ( also red and sparkly) a large shower cubicle and separate toilet. Unfortunately the sparkle was peeling off one of the handbasins .
Staff were generally very friendly, although the service in the breakfast room was somewhat erratic and requests were sometimes forgotten.
We enjoyed our stay but feel that there are areas which need to be improved to ensure that the hotel truly is 5 star.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I would recommend this hotel because it is an amazing place that has to be seen and experienced, full of the most extraordinary artwork and objet d'art, it is like staying in an art gallery. It is positioned very well for walking and exploring the sites of Nice and the rest of the beautiful Côte d"Azure.
However, I will warn people not to expect too much because I don't think it is run very well at the moment.

The staff for the most part, were lovely and willing to help, but their service and knowledge wasn't good. There was a mix up over my friends room, which they did put right but not before she had experienced some grief. My room, with a great view, was very clean but a little sparse and devoid of anything 'warm and welcoming'. In the bathroom I could have done with some kind of face/body cleaning cloth, the towels were clean but a little threadbare. My lighting was not working correctly. My air conditioning was extremely noisy and there wasn't much control over it so it was either on or off, I switched off but couldn't open the windows because of the extremely noisy Promenade des Anglais, a room at the back may have been a better idea!

Dinner in the restaurant wasn't so good either, although it was very tasty it was cold when it arrived at the table, and consequently my fish was hard and overcooked. There were really long waits between courses. We knew it would be pointless sending it back. There was little knowledge about how to serve our vintage champagne that we had ordered by way of a special treat, and the waiter let it bubble out of the top wasting at least half a glass. The bar, who were extremely busy and under pressure, had earlier messed-up a simple but expensive order of Vintage Champagne and Caviar, although again everyone was eager to help and put it right.

All of these things added up to quite a big thing for such a short stay, and disappointing too especially as one can see how brilliant this amazing hotel could be. This was a special occasion for my friend who had spent a lot of time, effort, and money getting there. I will stay there again despite what I have written here as it really is worth the visit, but I am lucky enough to have somewhere else to stay in the South of France so it wouldn't be my main holiday destination, just an experience! I get the feeling that this hotel needs to work out who it's market is and orientate it in that direction, not covering all bases, because its not working.

It is a great pity because this is a fantastic hotel that over the years I have been lucky enough to stay, however, I feel it is in decline and desperately needs some sort of 'good management' injection to get it back on it's feet. A Great Consierge.

Room Tip: If you like the wondow open at night then choose a room away from the Promenade des Anglais…
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank AEW22
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in May for a very special birthday. The location is superb, we were able to walk everywhere and the hotel did not disappoint with it's opulence and service right from the moment we arrived.Our room had a garden and side sea view, the garden was the Massena museum, not the hotel, however the sea view was fabulous, this hotel has so much style and status, it's worth it for a special experience.One of Europe's truly iconic hotels, don't miss it.

Room Tip: Side sea view is worthwhile, highly recommended and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yvonne M
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Flying into Nice to stay for the Monaco Gran Prix , a must visit to the Hotel Negresco was paramount on our list . Now we are not millionaires or jet setters but people who appreciate the good things in life once in awhile .If you are the same , don't miss this one .The weekend we were there they were having their Barbecue Le Rotonde out on the deck across from the Promenade des Anglais and the Mediterranean Sea .After a twenty minute tour of this majestic , art filled hotel we went in for our reservation .You can actually take your own tour of it without having to buy a thing as it is on the National French Preservation Register as an historic site .
The food was suberb as was the service and the view - stunning . Right on the Cote'DAzur and its gleaming blue water , we watched the private jets turning into the Nice Airport for the Monaco Gran Prix who then helicopter or private car into Monaco .We had as our guest a famous resident of Nice ( former curator of Prince Ranier's classic car collection and a thirty year friend of mine ) who could not say enough about the hotel .He was spot on !Make it a point to go but fill your wallet first if you are dining . Lunch for three ( and remember a barbecue ) was $ 350 US .We had simply wonderful food - Provence tomatoes with fresh Buffalo mozzarella , a melon carpaccio and a cob style salad for starters, then two lovely seared tuna dishes and a mixed barbecue grill with chickpea pancakes for an entree . We had cocktails preceding the lunch and expressos to finish it .Lovely flavors but at again it doesn't come cheap . Knowing we may not be back again for awhile if ever , we wanted to experience this opulent lifestyle once in our lifetime . As we departed there were four Ferraris and an English McClaren parked outside ( again it was gran prix weekend in Monaco and many stay at the Negresco ).In and out , you will see amazing art works , both classical and modern and a lifestyle that is sumptuous and old world rich ! Bucket list destination maybe ???

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We recently stayed here in 2 junior suites facing the ocean . The hotel itself is pretty , the rooms were fine . The service was not very good. We have been living in France for 3 years now and have come to know that service standards are quite different between the U.S and France. However, the service at the Negresco was at a fairly all time low of anyplace we've been in France and we've been a lot of places. The restaurant that served breakfast was awful .The buffet was picked over and fairly bland and the service was completely absent. I had to get up myself to ask for more coffee after waiting for 15 minutes and then had to get up again to follow up on a soft boiled egg that had been ordered 20 minutes earlier.
Additionally , our room was next to a room of lovely French partiers who decided to come back to their room at 4am and whoop it up some more. They sounded like they were in the room with us ( granted it's an older hotel , so the walls aren't' soundproof) . A call to the front desk didn't' fix it ,so we too were up at 4 am with them. Never an apology from the front desk or any acknowledgement of the whole thing. Just a really mismanaged hotel in our opinion . Would recommend a smaller boutique hotel with 5 star service .

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank jennifer b
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Dear Jennifer b,

Greetings from the Negresco Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Your invaluable feedback is important to ensure that we continue to deliver the ultimate experience the Negresco Hotel is renowned for.

I have noted your overall feedback regarding the behavior of our colleagues at the front desk and the lack of customer service at breakfast time. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and I can fully understand your disappointment. Rest assured that I shared your comments with the respective management.

Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting the Negresco Hotel in the future and you will allow us to restore your confidence.

Yours sincerely,