“A Very Pricey Lunch in the Relais Bar”
Review of Hotel Negresco

Hotel Negresco
Ranked #17 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed May 29, 2014

On a rainy day recently in Nice, we walked along the Promenade des Anglais to the famous Hotel Negresco (where in the old days, people like Elizabeth Taylor stayed). We had heard there was a carousel in one restaurant, and a spectacular chandeler in another room. Walking into the intimidating lobby, we saw a bar to the right, and thought we could get a drink there. The Relais Bar turns out to be very famous with wood panelling from 1913, and a tapestry from 1683. It reminded me of the Plaza in its best days. My husband asked if they served food, and we were told there was a limited menu. He chose the club sandwich, and I had a "prawn salad." Both were fine, but the bill including our drinks - a beer and a Diet Coke - was 90 Euros. Apparently, if you can find the carousel, you can buy an almost regularly-priced coffee. I don't know if we'd do it again, but it was a nice experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank geobrown
Write a ReviewReviews (2,519)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed in January during a fairly wet weekend but our visit to Negresco was lovely. The hotel has an old world charm to it and has been lovingly 'restored' - our room had a mixture of bright green, pink and gold tones which were overwhelming yet wonderful - and in keeping with the over the top opulence of that era. The bathroom LOOKED dated but it was done deliberately and was immaculate. Our views over the beach front and ocean were stunning. The staff were wonderful and we spent a great deal of time simply wandering around the hotel taking in the decor and architecture. The common bathrooms off the lobby were fantastic- Visit yourself as I don't want to ruin the surprise! As were the restaurants- any restaurant with a carousel is a winner in my book and the food was very good... the 'fancy' restaurant was beautiful, service excellent and food was good. Location of the hotel itself was perfect for seeing the city. We walked everywhere and felt this central location was a blessing in the rain. Definitely visit if old world charm and opulence are what interest you- don't visit if you prefer a more modern, generic hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gemma H
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We recently stayed at Le Negresco for our 25th wedding anniversary. The hotel is quirky but elegant, with great service. The hotel is like staying in an art museum, and there is lots to explore. The collection of art is interesting and personal. Each wing of each floor is different and it's fun to walk down to each floor and explore.

It's location is simply fantastic, with everything within walking distance and the beautiful beach just at it's doorstep. The service is impeccable, hotel staff is very courteous.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2014

A wonderful hotel with enough art exhibits to double up as a top rate gallery. The service is excellent, the berakfast room is an experience not to be missed and the Michelin Star restaurant is no less than you should exoect. Some rooms are a little tired but the classic french style is lovely. A sea view room is a must as the Riviera view is just amazing

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Negresco for 4 nights to attend the Monaco Grand Prix. I have been to Nice 3 times prior, but given that it's was Grand Prix weekend, we were unable to stay at the hotels I had stayed with before as 5 months ago they were already booked. We needed to stay at a bigger hotel that still had rooms available. I figured Negresco was a safe choice. Wrong. Our ocean view room looked east along the promenade and to the water. The view was the only good thing about the room. It was small, dark, crowded with old furniture, carpeted everywhere. The bathroom door didn't close, the shower overflowed and filled the entire bathroom floor with 2 inches of water. The bed was very uncomfortable with terrible quality linens. We attended the free breakfast buffet on day 1 and then aye elsewhere after that because the service was so terrible it just wasn't worth the low quality food at the buffet.

The reception and concierge service was good, but it didn't make up for the took quality. At €750 a night (inflated of course for GP), this was not a room I wanted to retire to after spending the day out walking and sightseeing. Skip this place. It is not a 5 star room. Seriously, the "charm" and "character" does not make up for all of its shortcomings.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Kms12
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Hotel Negresco is absolutely gorgeous- I felt like I was staying in an art museum. My room had a full sea view and a little balcony where I could enjoy a room service breakfast. At one point while I was eating breakfast, a seagull actually flew through the window, stole my croissant, and knocked over my coffee pitcher. This has nothing to do with my hotel review, but I thought it was a funny episode that I had to share :)

Anyway, everything was clean and tidy and everyone I met was super friendly and helpful. I had a late train so I asked for a late checkout, but the hotel was completely booked and I was told the latest I could leave was 1:30PM. This actually turned out fine. The concierge helped me book a bed on Neptune Beach, right across the street, where I stayed for the entire afternoon (the service there was amazing as well), and reception kept my bags for me until I came back to pick them up. Overall, my stay was wonderful- in fact, I think I've fallen in love with the place and can't wait to make a return trip!

Room Tip: It's absolutely worth it to book a room with a sea view unless you're a light sleeper- in th...