“Very stylish” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very stylish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

We spent a week in this classic icon of a hotel on the Promenade des Anglais. The hotel, built in 1912, is very grand. It is full of works of art, which whilst not all to my taste, give it certain style.

I loved the restaurant La Rotonde, which is a carousel, where you have breakfast. There are some of the horses and at times a couple move up and down, quirky but fun.

Breakfast was delicious. I mostly had fresh fruit and the various breads but I did gave delicious pancakes with maple syrup and beautiful crispy bacon. The croissants were light, buttery, sweet and crumbly, probably the best I've had and the brioche was as light as a feather. They had nice little touches too some as their own label on the small photos of jam and yogurt.

I am on dialysis so they had to accept my fluids the week before I arrived. This was bit a problem and because I was in a standard (or superior room as they call it), they were concerned about putting it all in the room. Actually the room was by many standards of generous proportions but it was good that they would bring the fluids up each day.

The staff were all extremely helpful and polite and very smart. The porteing staff's outfits were stylish.

It was nice that there was water in the room on the first night and whilst I don't expect tea and coffee making facilities as that is not normal across Europe, I do like it when they give you fresh water each day and has happened in other 5 star hotels, but that is only a minor point.

I'd certainly recommend the hotel if you like some pampering and style.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
athens, ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Hotel Negresco and it was just lovely. A short ride from the Cote D'Azur airport in Nice it was perfect after a long overnight flight. The hotel is lovely, our room though not large was very well appointed with a gorgeous view over the Mediterranean and up the coast. Even a small balcony! Service was excellent while parking and checking in, concierge was happy to make dinner reservations and even suggested taking the bus to the Matisse museum rather than try to drive or bother with taxis. I found the hotel opulent in an old fashined way, but not threadbare as someone had mentioned in an earlier review. The locationis perfect, we even had breakfast at one of the beach restaurants below the Promenade d'Anglais.

Room Tip: You must make sure you ahve a room with at least a partial sea view.
1 Thank luckylynn
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear luckylynn,

How very kind of you to take the time to write such a lovely review on the Negresco Hotel. We all greatly appreciate your time. We do work incredibly hard to make sure that each and every guest has a memorable stay so we are all thrilled that we did this for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

We celebrated our 50th vows renewal at Le Negresco Hotel.Nice France. We planned the celebration a year before 4/4 2014. The Banquet Manager Thibaud Vanel is very helpful in planning the reception, church ceremony, limo, flowers, favors. The celebration was like a dream. Everything came true as planned. The service during the reception was impeccable and the menu was grand prepared by 2 star michellin chef.. Also the champagne aperitif was great. The photographer Patrick Rogma recommended by Negresco was the most professional photographer and the service was great.My celebration along with my 25 relatives who flown in to Nice and stayed at Negresco Hotel with special rate thanks to the management enjoyed the festivities. Big cheers to Negresco Hotel for the memorable service and welcoming hospitality. I really love and enjoyed the service at the hotel and would come back again to Nice France. Karim and Eric the concierge are also helpful in arranging the church ceremony.Many thanks for great service.The Rotonde restaurant is great and very accommodating to my two grand children 2 and 3 yrs old. The enjoyed the carousel very much.

Room Tip: Ocean view room is preferred.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jojonyc464
Dear jojonyc464,

We thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review of your recent visit to the Negresco Hotel. We are delighted you chose our property for your wedding anniversary celebration. We are all here very pleased to read how highly you appreciated our help in making this experience so special. We will share your kind comments with the team and specially to our stars Karim & Eric.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Warm regards,

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

I think this May be the most expensive hotel in Nice, however it worth just having a visit to look at the interior. We went in the cocktail bar one evening to have a glass of champagne and it was an experience in itself. Definitely splash out and just go for a drink and tray yourself to a bit of luxury.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Ruthie206,

Thank you so much for your delightful review and for taking the time to comment on our lovely Bar "Le Relais". We are very pleased you enjoyed this short experience with us and hope this will give you a desire to come back again if your future trips brings you to Nice.

Yours sincerely,

West Hollywood, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed with my parents at this hotel and I would say that unless you are over 40, this hotel is not for you. The carpet in the hallways was a crazy design like someone was on a bad acid trip when they designed it but it added a modern feel to the hotel. The art around the hotel is absolutely stunning and almost negates the need to go to any galleries. The uniforms the bellman and valet wear are absolutely amazing and I love the classic look they have. The restaurant Rotonde for breakfast is a little creepy with old carousel horses in it and the service was horrendous. However, we were 3 adults and they allowed us to stay in one room with a rollaway which is very hard to find in Europe. Additionally, we were there during a marathon and no taxis were available to get us to the train station. After about 30 minutes of confusion and fussing around, one of the valets grabbed a car and personally took us there. I find hotels are best rated by how they overcome a problem, and this was a huge one. The hotel could use a little bit of an update on the carpet in the rooms, but overall, you know what you are expecting from the hotel and that is exactly what you get.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank conquertheworld10
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

It is hard to find any new comments about Negresco. It is a unique combination of a belle epoque style hotel renovated to modern five star level and loaded with an enormous amount of pictures, also modern pieces of art. There are corridors filled with different themes like African, animals or pictures of ladies... In some places these form a contradictory combination like many pieces of art around the magnificent hall or circus themed decoration of La Rotonda restaurant.

Hotel rooms are large and decorated in old style with different colours and equipped with old style furniture but with modern amenities. Our blue walled room faced to the park of Palais Massena and the sea, a really charming scenery! Only problem in the room was that lighting did not give any possibility to read.

Personnel were very polite and helpful. They sent a man to give us a personal guidance concerning the use of air conditioning and curtain systems, since the porter did not know how they operated.

Dear hariheikki,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Negresco Hotel. Your review makes everything we do here worthwhile and I will ensure to pass on your comments to the team.

We hope we will have the opportunity in welcoming you back to the Negresco Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

I am not sure how I could describe my feeling about Negresco’s room precisely. It is more like an Asian traveler's imagination, and it is like this: I imagine if I were a European person, it would be exactly what I experienced when I came to my old aristo (or maybe bourgeois) grandparents’ place and stayed in their bedroom for a couple of nights.

The room I had is Seaview and Garden type. Any attempt to describe the view outside the window would be an absurd waste. People who strolled on La Promenade des Anglais know what I mean. The bedroom is truly a BEDROOM. After you shut the door behind you, separating your bedroom privacy away from the corridor and the bathroom, you could sense that this is absolutely une chambre francaise rather than a hotel room. This amazing sense of “bedroom” chez ma grandmere is something I had never captured while staying in other hotels. I adore the structure of the room! At the end, I had developed the sentiment which made me reluctant to leave and check out. To an Asian visitor, this is a unique European feeling contributed by the old but exotic and comfortable everything. There are plenty of photos online which may give you a hint of what I talked about. Note: rooms differ in decos and structures.

I don’t really think much of the art collections of the hotel though. There are plenty of them in Europe anyway. The hotel in general is old fashioned yet beautiful, very clean, well located and quite pricy… The hotel staff is warm and helpful. Some house keeping people don’t really speak English but thankfully they granted me a chance to get the problem solved with my passable French. It made me wipe my forehead afterwards…, but actually no complaint at all: ))))

Some headsup for the visitors who are used to the new luxury 5 star hotels (especially if you are from some modern Asian regions): Don’t expect to find a Nespresso machine in your room, nor an electric kettle for a tea or warm water. This is a super popular vacation zone in the Southern France plus they have their custom… get used to it.

The room I had is Seaview and Garden type. Any attempt to describe the view outside the window would be an absurd waste. People who strolled on La Promenade des Anglais know what I mean. The bedroom is truly a BEDROOM. After you shut the door behind you, separating your bedroom privacy away from the corridor and the bathroom, you could sense that this is absolutely une chambre francaise rather than a hotel room. This amazing sense of “bedroom” chez ma grandmere is something I had never captured while staying in other hotels. I adore the structure of the room! At the end, I had developed the sentiment which made me reluctant to leave and check out. To an Asian visitor, this is a unique European feeling contributed by the old but exotic and comfortable everything. There are plenty of photos online which may give you a hint of what I talked about. Note: rooms may differ in decos and structures.

Room Tip: Get a sea view room or a sea-garden view room. Worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AYWEN
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear AYWEN,

Thank you so much for this fantastic feedback following your recent stay at the Negresco Hotel. We want our guests to feel that they are at home or as you said at your "grandmere" place in France when staying with us. We are glad we succeeded. We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us at any time if we can be of any assistance.

Best Regards,