“Best Ever Xmas Holiday Break!!”
Review of Hotel Negresco

Hotel Negresco
Ranked #16 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed January 8, 2014

5 star in every way!!
They set the standard for the other so called 5 star establishments.
Wake up Ritz Carlton et al, go and stay to see how it is done.
Wonderful lunch on Xmas Day in their 2 Michelin star restaurant.
Junior Suite with great sea view.
Friendly, helpful staff, from the doorman to the chamber maid!!
King size bed a bit small, more a big double is only grouse.
Will be back

Room Tip: Sea view worth the extra
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear Workmaze,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor about your stay at the Negresco Hotel. We are delighted to hear that our personnel have done all above and beyond to make your feel welcomed and to ensure that you have a wonderful and memorable stay with us.

We hope to have the occasion to have you back at the Negresco Hotel.

Sincerely yours,

Pierre BORD

Write a ReviewReviews (2,520)

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Negresco is a legend and that is what you should keep in mind during your stay. First of all I want to admit, that we enjoyed every moment of our stay until the last 10 minutes and the check out.
Our sea view room really had an amazing view on embankment and has small balcony. Vintage interior in our room was charming and did not look tired. We also had separate dressing room and a "powder corner" with a big mirror. Room service, bar and restaurant were very good. Breakfast was good, but nothing special in comparing to other 5 star hotels. But it is served in special room, which have very special design, so it is interesting start of the day.
But unfortunately check out killed all our good experience of our stay. We had a late flight. On the check in very nice lady on the reception welcomed us to the hotel and I asked about late check out. We were asked in what time we want to leave, we decided to leave in 6 p.m. We were told, that this is possible if we pay extra the half of daily price for the room.
On the last day we had breakfast and left for shopping and were planning to come back to hotel at 5 p.m. to pack. Luckily we returned earlier. At 4:20 I got a call from reception desk with the direct question : “Madam, what time you will leave your room”. I told : “Don’t worry I will leave at 6”. He answered, that we should had left before 4 p.m., or we have to pay the hall day rent. After I had unpleasant and kind of rood discussion with the receptionist, about the fact that I was told completely different thing on the check in. After he roughly asked : “O.K. So what time you will leave, because you cant stay in you room any more without paying the full day price?!”. The problem was not about money, but was about his tone and attitude, he did not even asked the name of the manager who checked us in, or other details. So I was so mad, that I told him, that we will leave immediately. On the check out we had no apologies about this situation just a silently given check.
After all we loved the hotel, but this situation and the roughness of the receptionist was unbelievable for us (after staying more than 10 years in 5 star hotels). We hope, that the management would take care about this unpleasant incident.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Strogaya
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Strogaya,

We are delighted to read that you have cherished practically everything during your stay : the view of the sea from your room, the room service, the Bar "Le Relais" and the Brasserie "La Rotonde" were you had buffet breakfast.

However, we have to apologize for the misunderstanding regarding the charge for your late check out. This has been discussed with the respective management from the front desk and all the necessary measures were taken in order to prevent such a situation in the future. We all know that it only takes one drop of vinagar to curdle the milk. We thank you for pointing out most of our strengths and showing what could be improved for our future guests.

We look forward to welcoming you again to the Negresco Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Having read a review on Sunday lunch and walked past the hotel on numerous occasions I decided to try, what many say, is the perfect Sunday lunch.
Lets get one thing straight, it is very much a SMART casual place, so, when I turned up with my tailored shorts I was very politely asked to go and change into some long trousers.......no problem!
The decor of the restaurant was stunning.The furniture was amazing. Paintings were awesome.The whole place was, without doubt, worthy of a visit.
As far as the food and drink was concerned, it was perfect for a Sunday lunch. The sommelier was very knowledgeable without being overpowering and the table staff were very friendly. Overall, even paying approx £125 for two, it was an experience that I will repeat.
ONE WORD OF WARNING.......WE TRIED A COUPLE OF GLASSES OF CHAMPAGNE BEFORE LUNCH AND IT COST £70 !!!!!!! WOULD I DO IT AGAIN? ..............HELL YES !

Room Tip: Reserve a table before you go..........at least a couple of weeks
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear eddie w,

Thank you very much for this review. We appreciate your nice words about our restaurant "Le Chantecler". We will pass on your compliments to our chef. He will be delighted to know you enjoyed eating from our restaurant.

Thank you once again and we look forward to having you back soon.

We wish you all the best for this new year 2014.

With warm regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Negresco for a week and enjoyed every minute of it. Although the hotel is celebrating its centennial, age does not show. The personnel is very well trained and educated. Alert to help.
I would highly recommend the Negresco who is interested and enjoys to stay in a classic European hotel.

Room Tip: Certainly the se-view rooms are the better selection. But in summer the traffic may not help you to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Candan A,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay at the Negresco hotel in Nice.

We are all blown away by your comments and delighted that we stand apart from other hotels. It was such a joy to read that you were thrilled from the moment you arrived until your departure of this property.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Negresco hotel and that it will be not before too long.

With warmest wishes,

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is a hotel either you love it or hate it. But if you had your expectations right, you will love it.

So before booking this hotel, I read the positive and negative remarks and set my expectations right. Which is, I know it's a "old" hotel and the owner furnished/decorated it with many of her own personal collections like a museum. Thus many of the furniture of course are antiques (ie not new) which I know are expensive.

We booked 3 triple executive rooms. Before we arrived, I requested (got the tips from reading the reviews) for a more renovated and less "bling" room which they obliged but the reply took quite a while. I had to send a couple of times or wait for a couple of days before I got a reply.

Location was great! Just in front on the promenade and at the back streets they are plenty of restaurants and boutique shops!

Check-in was fast and without fuss. Except for one minor glitch. That was only one room was ready with the 3rd bed. But they sort out the other rooms quickly.

Room was more to the smallish side (we have been staying at different 5 star establishment during our 2 weeks travel) but as I said, decorated with many expensive antiques collections. But it was clean and comfortable. All toiletries were provided (except for toothbrush). Our bathtub, bidet and sink was in glittering gold color. Our wallpaper was in pink (which my daughter loves)! There were no complimentary water bottles (am not criticizing here but just mentioning so that people will know coz most of the 5 start establishment I stayed in provides free complimentary water bottles) and only one key for the rooms (as the receptionist explained that it was an "old style" key card which the hotel plans to upgrade to newer more hightech ones. Shower pressure was abit weak and had a hard time adjusting the temperature of the water.

Eventhough wifi was free, the connection was BAD. We had to stand near our door just to get connection. But I read the reviews from the hotel below that they are planning to upgrade it.

There was a glitch on our 1st day of breakfast. The restaurant was abit late in opening. It was supposed to start at 7 but opened at 7:15am which there are a few people waiting outside already. But it was explained that one staff meet with a minor accident on the way to work. Anyway, breakfast at the hotel was something unique. It was decorated like a merry go round! Food served was adequate. The usual fare.

I walked around the establishment to enjoy the art and antiques displayed. Oh...even the elevator, the toilet in the lobby are very unique!

To sum it all, I do not mind recommending this place to others. But one just have to read through the reviews and set their expectations right. If you want modern and new facilities, then this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SeaShellsManila

Dear SeaShellsManila,

Thank you for your lovely review on TripAdvisor following your stay with us and for your support. It was our great pleasure to take care of you. I am glad that you enjoyed the location of the Negresco hotel as well as the famous elevator and the guest service during your check in process.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon to the Negresco hotel and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Only stopped in for a drink, but the place was magnificent. The service was impeccable and fun to spot a few celebrities! Definitely a place to stop and enjoy the view as well as the surroundings. We enjoyed glasses of wine with the free nut/breadstick combo.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Drema D
Direction_Negresco, Directeur général at Hotel Negresco, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear Drema D,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at Bar Le Relais. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the glasses of wine and mostly guest service. Our employees will be recognized for the friendly service you experienced. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to Nice. It could be an opportunity to stay overnight and discover our comfortable rooms.

Your referral is greatly appreciated.

The Negresco team wish you a happy New Year 2014!

With warm regards,

Pierre Bord

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The Hotel Negresco is almost as much museum as a place to stay. Every floor corridor is lined with art work and the hotel architecture is almost unique. The rooms are large and comfortable with almost any amenity you might want. The hotel may be old, but you would never know it once inside the public rooms and bedrooms. They are as up to date as almost new. It is truly a five star hotel in my estimation.

Room Tip: We had a high floor overlooking the sea, and loved it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mickey M,

Thank you so much for filling out such a pleasant review! We loved having you and your wife with us. I'm so glad you had an enjoyable stay and that you appreciated the monumental artwork collection. Our goal is to be your "home away from home" and it makes us proud to know we did just that. We hope we will have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Thank you again for choosing the Negresco Hotel.

With warmest regards,