“Matisse Fan”

Musee Matisse
Book In Advance
$103.33*
and up
Nice Art Tour: Chagall Museum, Matisse Museum and the Villa Ephrussi de...
$109.41*
Small-Group Arts Tour of the French Riviera from Monaco
$47.41*
3-Hour E-Bike Tour of Nice
Ranked #33 of 223 things to do in Nice
More attraction details
Owner description: Surrounded by an olive garden, this museum has a collection of paintings spanning the length of Henri Matisse's career.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Set in a lovely building, it is well worth a visit.

In spite of his local connections, this is not however a great collection of his works.

However a visit here and to the Matisse chapel on Vence is a must for Matiise admirers

There are newer reviews for Musee Matisse

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I read in several guides that entry for the Musee is for free, but in some online reviews people experienced that some are charged 10 Euros anyway... But I thought let's give it a try, we wanted to see Cimiez and the monastery gardens anyway. So we stood in line for half an hour only to find out at the front desk that we would be charged 10 Euros a person!! There seems to be a temporary exhibition together with other museums in Nice and there is no way of entering the Musee Matisse only. I told this the woman at the desk that this is unfair and that in travell guides it clearly says the visit is for free and we did not want to buy a "package" we are not interested in...and that nowhere was a sign or hint that they charge for the exhibition at the moment. Well, we left as I cannot support an institution that has an intranparent pricing concept and obviously waits for the tourist season when all this people bring in their cash...

4  Thank Nicol090
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Once you arrive at is museum, this beautiful building will jump into your eye-sight.
This colorful building must be one of unforgettable thing in Nice for you.
And I love location of is museum.
I recommend to take a picture in front of this building.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

OK, this (free) museum is really small and only few pieces are on display, but please marvel at his busts. If you have very little time and really go only for Matisse's art you are in for a bit of a disappointment.
However, I walked up and down there along the Bd and Av de Cimiez and I enjoyed all the houses including the majestic hotel Regina where Matisse lived. Furthermore, I chilled a bit in the garden in front of the museum where schoolchildren played, people sat near the merry-go-round and old men were playing petanque. After the museum I walked over to the monastery (check the facade!) and strolled through the flower garden.
If you take all this as part of the experience you'll definitely appreciate a visit to the museum more.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

First of all, you may need to ask the ever present police where the museum is -- you can't see it from the street. Secondly, if you have a car then you may have trouble parking nearby. (We went on a weekend, when lots of people also went to the park. We ended up driving down the narrow street along th e Hotel Regina and found lots of spaces - but only after we spent half an hour circling closer by.)
The museum itself has wonderful exhibits --- and you will learn more about the Matisse Chapel here than you will in Vence (where you will also pay 5 Euros to visit the Chapel. OK, the light in the Chapel is wonderful, but at the Musee Matisse you can see much more of all the things he created for the Chapel.)

This is not a huge museum, but it is definitely worth visiting. It is also next to the Archaeological Museum.