“A lovely place to sit outdoors and relax”
Review of Atmosphere Cafe

Atmosphere Cafe
Ranked #1,052 of 1,924 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Luton, United Kingdom
“A lovely place to sit outdoors and relax”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My mother in law and I ate here on our last day in Nice (06/07/13) as we wanted to eat in the old town.

We saw that a lot of places in this area offered a set menu price for their meals and all of which were very competitive. We chose this one on the basis that they looked as though they had comfortable seating and a good space to relax outside. Quite often you see a very packed seating area in France and due to back problems, I try to go for places that have comfy looking seats!

We had a waiter that spoke perfect English and he had been living in Nice for about four years. He also lived in the UK as well. He was very friendly and accommodated my embarrassing French speaking!

I ordered from the three course set menu which included a small bowl of spaghetti, salmon with rice and a chocolate mousse (you will see from my other reviews in this area that chocolate mousse is a favourite of mine!).

All three dishes were of great quality ingredients and tasted fabulous.

My mother in law ordered the king prawns (I had one and they were really tasty) and she shared my chocolate mousse.

Unfortunately the wind got up a bit and they had to take down some of the parasols but I still enjoyed sitting outside at this time!

I have read some other reviews on this restaurant and cannot understand why someone would choose not to eat there because of tourists? Seems rather standoffish to me but I suppose if you only want to eat 'off-the-beaten-track' then this restaurant isn't for you. We sampled a lot of French food whilst we were there and this restaurant is very pleasant, the staff are friendly and make an effort to speak with you.

Of course they are eager for tourists to eat there...this is how a restaurant in prime location makes money!

Cost was around €55.00 for one set three course menu, one main and a glass of wine/soft drinks.

• Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
“Good restaurant with nice people watching”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Since this restaurant is located at the beginning of the Cours Saleya you'll see all the people walking past the restaurant and the cars trying to get to the underground parking. A hostess stands outside the restaurant near a large sign that contained the menu and the days specials. We decided to stop because we were tempted by all the people eating mussels and frites outside. As soon as we were seated a server came right away to get our drink and food order. We had steak au poivre, mussels and frites, and profiteroles with chocolate for dessert.

Steak au poivre is a classic French bistro dish. The steak was cooked well, but was kind of fatty. It had a poivre sauce on top. The sauce wasn't bad, it just wasn't memorable. The plate also had some nicely crisp frites.

The mussels were steamed with celery, garlic, parsley, and onion. They were large, fresh and quite good, which explains why so many people were eating it. The frites came in a separate small metal bucket and were fried nicely.

The profiteroles were really cold and had hard ice cream in the center. It had chocolate all over the top and some whipped cream on the side of the plate. Profiteroles are usually cold, but these were rock hard. I wasn't expecting that when I bit into them. We had to wait a few minutes before we could continue eating them.

Overall, the food was good. I would come back for the mussels and frites and the people watching.

• Visited May 2013
“A must”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went here with my girlfriend on our 1st trip abroad together. Went here to eat on night one and kept on going back throughout our stay in Nice. Staff were very friendly. Even got a free glass of wine each from the owner on our last visit. Food was excellent and very tasty. Location is excellent for the buzz of the nightlife. A must visit restaurant in Place Messana

“Rude”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The service was really rude. Agressive, ignorant and even a bit hostile to some other guests. Food was okay, but nothing more. And considered the prices, value is pretty poor at best. The ice tea for instance was €4,50. Just walk past.

2 Thank appelkaas
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Standard tourist fare and a tad chaotic”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Big plates of pasta.....I needed to season it myself although there was plenty of shell fish in the special.....the shami sushi was lightly smoked salmon and again lacked flavour.....Local wine a fine choice as its all palatable......we left full, happy but uninspired by the service given the slightest request seemed to confuse or seem a hindrance.....won't be going back and more expensive than rival tourist spots that do a much better job......

1 Thank Steve R